EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » calling all reverts to islam and muslims (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: calling all reverts to islam and muslims
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have decided that i would like to revert to islam but before i do, i would like to hear from anyone who has done this and am interested to know of your experiences and peoples opinions...I feel a little as though i would be entering an unknown world and would people accept me? I wont know everything to say (arabic) and what to do initially and will be embarrased at first. I know people will think that i am doing it because my husband is muslim, but he has just shown me a different way of living that i like...should i wait until i know more? I know that i wont be able to pray 5 times a day to start with, I know its what i want but am still very nervous about it because its such a public religion so i will feel under pressure to know what i'm doing!...am i normal for feeling this way? I have always had a strong belief in God but its been very private, becoming a muslim will bring this out in the open and i think thats my main concern, how did others cope with this or am i just a freak? lol
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just make sure thats what you want to do, because I think they kill you if you change your mind..

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol ok not what i was expecting there but hey, slow and painfull or quick and pain free? it makes a difference you understand [Wink]
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Islam Caterpillar!

Many of members have converted to Islam, so you will get many answers.

Don't worry about these people who will say you converted for your husband. I have been told that many times too, my only answer is "I don't wake up at 4 or 5 every morning, while I feel so good in my bed, when no one could see whether I pray Fajr or not, for my husband".

Why do you say it's a public religion? It really depends on which country you're living in, the degree of practicing your religion freely or not. In my country, I can't pray on time when I'm working, because they're not playing with the secular laws. So I adjust myself to the laws here, since the laws won't adjust to me before a long time. Being a muslim in Egypt is something easy, being one in a country where everyone sees you as a terrorist when you pronounce the word 'Islam' is difficult.

Praying 5 times a day may seem very difficult at the beginning, it was for me too! I was even discouraged, because I felt I would never be able to learn everything in Arabic, to wake up early in the morning, to learn every step of the pray, to stop my activities for praying... I think most of us had this reaction. But you will see that after a few weeks, sometimes, a few days only, it's so easy. You will learn the prayers in Arabic very fast, and you will feel so good then!

And keep learning, discovering Islam by yourself, by asking your friends, your husband, everyone.

Good luck, and congratulation again!!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to add something: don't be afraid or shy because you don't know Arabic, because you don't know how to do this and this. You will see that any Muslim will be so happy to explain you what you don't know. Helping a new convert is something rewarded by God moreover. So you will always find someone there to help. As for the accent, the way to pronounce, no one will ever laugh at you. They will all do their best to help you, to correct your pronounciation. So forget about this point: everyone is there to help you!
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
thankyou barbapapa, thankyou for your post, when i say public i mean, my relationship with God has always been private, in some ways not something i have discussed because those around me would mock, so now to visually announce i am 1. religious and 2.muslim will put me on the spotlight for a while and i dont like that, everyone has something to say about religion and to put myself out there forces me to address it, but actually as i'm reading what i'm writing i'm realising that my fear of what others have made me feel is whats bothering me and i should be more proud of who i am and that i am doing something that makes me happy...i think i am worrying too much about what people think.
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to enter in islam it has to be in your heart first,dont just do it casue you feel its has to be that way cause of what other people are saying remember allah knows if yur true to him or not whether your a muslim ...and if you dont know arabic thats not a worry you can learn has long has you can get by with the basics your fine ,but dont go into it cause what is being said do it in your heart ...never worry for the other person just worry for yourself ..allah hafeez.the religion is not bad only to way it has been portrayed and used and abused to each and every one owns advantage you think i and others are here perfect no way ...do it for you has i said again if your not ready its not a hurry if itsin the heart it will inshallah happen ..has i said again good luck sister..
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
I know what you mean. Choosing to be a muslim nowadays isn't an easy decision since whatever you do, you will always be suscpicious to other, because of these so-called muslims that give us a bad name.
But you don't have to tell everyone that you're a muslim. Tell the ones who are closed to you. These ones won't judge you, and even if they are surpsied, they will try to understand your decision. Your decision is only yours. And the link between you and God is still the same, nothing changed. It will be stronger since you will "meet" Him 5 times daily!

I'm someone shy, I couldn't see myself saying "Hey, now, I'm a muslim!!!" just like I never did the same when I was catholic. To me, religion is something private, personal, that doesn't have to be shown, so I think I know what you feel right now, and what I can tell you is that it's very possible to live your faith this way!

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
thankyou chimps, it is in my heart, my husband would rather i waited to find out more, it will surprise people around me, i told my friend today (who is muslim) and she said it was as if it wasnt real, i have known her a long time and she was a bit worried i was doing it for my husband byt i'm really not, just i'm scared about entering something new.

Barbapapa, that made me laugh, do you think i need to buy a soap box and stand in the centre of town? lol that is exactly how it feels though, i dont know why, maybe because you can spot alot who are and those who arent, but i think i would keep it to myself for now.
do you think this means i should wait? find out more? ive read alot, but i'm worried in case i've missed something sinister!! its almost as though i think there must be some smallprint somewhere that says how bad it is because it has such a bad press! mind you it would probably be in arabic so i wouldnt be able to read it anyway! lol

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Caterpillar.
I'm pleased to hear that you're so seriously considering reverting. [Smile]
May I ask, what have you studied or heard about Islam? What is your understanding of it? And what do you expect once you revert?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
loved one...those questions scare me...see i scare easily, i have not read alot, i have read a couple of books and alot on the net, mostly what attracts me is the emphasis on caring for each other and yourself, having a direct relationship with God, appreciating what he has given us and keeping that at the front of our minds, respecting yourself, the emphasis on men and womens roles and the family, being a community and looking after and respecting each other...i am not well read at all, and feel silly to even think i know anything about it (if that makes sense) but the is the impression i have got from what i HAVE read anyway, and from those people i know...what do i expect? mostly to feel a sense of belonging with people that share the same values...
thanks for those questions, i guess they are the ones i should be asking myself

Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Maybe the next step, after reading from the net and from books, will be to meet a lady who would be into Islam, who could answer your questions, tell you more about certain points. I did that too, because I didn't trust the books I read that much. That should be the final step. She will show you how to pray, she will help you to memorize the prayers. She will make the link between your inner wish and reality I think, and after that step, you will be really sure of your choice.

Just take your time, no need to rush. You will convert inshallah, when it's time.

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed with Barbapapa,
,Just take your time, no need to rush. You will convert inshallah, when it's time.but dont read to much to what is said in here of the religion ok ,it will confuse ,but remember never to fill hypocrosy in your head with of another faith ,i still and always believe we do have to be respectful of other faiths while we live in our world times,never hate ''sister caterpillar'' ,hehe i like that :)its easy to do in our life time ,i have done ,never good ..i hope you understood being you can never make out what im said ...lol lol

Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
chimps...lol...i'm getting there, you are making more sense today,i have my chimp translator goggles on... i didnt mean offence, i really didnt, just sometimes i cant understand...i guess its sensible to read more, like you both said no rush x
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salam caterpillar and welcome to Islam!!

If you are sure in your heart that Islam is right for you then take your shahadah, you can learn after. I have been Muslim now almost 4 years and I am always learning!!

I have the prayers on a Word doc. somewhere, I can dig it out for you. I did the Arabic transliteration and the English (so I understood what I was saying) You can get a book and cassettes to help with this by Batool Al Touma and Yousef Islam, this will help with pronunciation. With the prayers on paper in front of you while praying you will learn very quickly as you will be repeating them 17 times a day [Big Grin]

I see you are in UK. If you are anywhere near Leicester there is the Islamic Foundation there. They have a 'New Muslims Project' run by Batool of the above book, a lovely Irish lady who reverted from being Catholic over 30 years ago, she will help with anything you need, I did my shahadah there in 2002.

The only slight problem I did have was once I was out with my daughter in a very BNP town, a drunk stopped me, made a gesture about my face (i was in hijab) and asked if i was a muslim, I said yes i am, he wanted to tell me how much he thought bin laden was right!! LOL of course I had to disagree and told him islam is not about killing innocent people, he turned out to be quite nice where I thought i was going to have to get help [Big Grin]

If you decide to wear the hijab (your choice) then learn to not look into peoples eyes while out. this was the one way I could show I didnt care what people thought or have to exchange wierd looks with them. I am the only Muslim here for miles where I live, its easier if you live in a city where there are other muslims.

Any muslim, born or reverted, will be most happy to help you and no one will expect you to know everything. We are all learning even the born muslims!

You have made the right decision, May Allah bless you and guide you further as He has done so already.

If you need any help, chat, contact, whatever (apart from money as I have none [Big Grin] ) then PM me or leave a message here.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caterpillar:
I have decided that i would like to revert to islam but before i do, i would like to hear from anyone who has done this and am interested to know of your experiences and peoples opinions...I feel a little as though i would be entering an unknown world and would people accept me? I wont know everything to say (arabic) and what to do initially and will be embarrased at first. I know people will think that i am doing it because my husband is muslim, but he has just shown me a different way of living that i like...should i wait until i know more? I know that i wont be able to pray 5 times a day to start with, I know its what i want but am still very nervous about it because its such a public religion so i will feel under pressure to know what i'm doing!...am i normal for feeling this way? I have always had a strong belief in God but its been very private, becoming a muslim will bring this out in the open and i think thats my main concern, how did others cope with this or am i just a freak? lol

SUBHANALLAH! Catepillar I am sooo happy for you that you thinking of choosing to change your life! I am also a revert,and I will try to answer as many of your questions as possible in my short time available:

First, everything will feel weird at first. If you were brought up in a religious way, you know it comes naturally because it's all you've ever known. Getting used to Islam will be a process and the longer you're getting your feet wet, the more comfortable it will become inshallah.

Don't worry about people accepting you, you will find SO much acceptance being a revert than you could ever imagine! You will have made such a difficult and life changing decision that people will gladly offer their knowledge and hospitality and kindness to you left and right.

Don't worry about what anyone thinks (as far as the hubby being Muslim). Sometimes I have found that women marry Muslim men with NO intention of reverting but through God anything is possible. Just think of it like God brought your husband to you for love and for guidance, it is through the husband that God touched and wants to change your life. You know in your heart the truth, so don't let ANYONE belittle you or make you feel you did it for anyone but you and God. Remember, if you care more about what people think than what God thinks, that is a serious problem!

It's not my decision but I would advise you to NOT wait to revert. You never know what tomorrow could bring and if you feel in your heart that Islam is the right way, then don't waste anytime to turn your face in that direction. Don't worry about not knowing exactly how to say the words or about praying EVERYTIME on time, most of us didn't revert and jump into the routine effortlessly. Most of us really struggled and had to train ourselves to do what is required. You are probably no different.

YOU ARE NOT A FREAK! Most reverts are hesitant because of the public scrutiny that comes with this lifestyle change, but don't let that make you question what you feel in your heart. That is simply soceity messing with you.

IF YOU DO DECIDE (INSHALLAH) to revert please know the following:

* it's ok to pray with the words you will say in front of you on paper until you know them by heart, don't be afraid or ashamed to do this!

* know that not everyone will accept this life change, in your family, your friends, strangers, etc. I lost all but one friend when I converted (not at first but over time). Family resisted, and gave me a hard time, and just know the sterotypes of Muslims will be felt from strangers who see you.

* as a muslim woman you will be required to cover. It might be difficult at first, but there is great reward in doing difficult things sometimes so please don't worry. If you need advice on this or support feel free to contact any of us here on ES and we are ALWAYS happy to help! Even if you need or want scarves or khamirs (dependant upon which type of cover you might choose).

* Don't expect yourself to know everything at first. I think God puts the belief in our hearts and the rest of the journey is up to us. You are not stupid or a freak or a phoney for not knowing everything...this is a crock! Some might try to make you think this but the basic beliefs and principals are what you will go by.

* the more you learn you will question many things. Ask your husband to explain and if you still need more clarity, ask other reverts. Finding the information online is sometimes dangerous and will only confuse you more. There will be many things you will learn that will not make sense or will seem ABSURD. You have to keep in mind the way things were back in the Prophet's days and not compare everything to how we live modernly.

* Don't let anybody make you feel badly.
To many of us you have a crown on your head
for this difficult decision you are preparing
yourself to make, and I applaud and commend
you to the highest degree and welcome you
with open arms.
If you want to talk more, feel free to PM me, and best of luck to you, inshallah my future sister in Islam. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have trouble making up your mind smuckers. In other words you were a muslim, changed to another position and 'reverted' back.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

* Don't let anybody make you feel badly.
To many of us you have a crown on your head
for this difficult decision you are preparing
yourself to make, and I applaud and commend
you to the highest degree and welcome you
with open arms.
[Smile] [/QB]

i second this, i think im gonna cry [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats right, you have just made yourself a powerless piece of **** in your own house and the servant of some half educated man.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
is that directed at me Horemheb...if so i would answer you but i will have to ask my husband what i'm allowed to say first...if of course i'm allowed to speak at all!

i havent had a chance to read those nice replies yet but thank you sooo much for your kind words, i will pop back later and read it properly, thankyou smuckers and ayisha x

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
horemheb, if thats directed at me I have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

I do like caterpillars reply though [Big Grin]

--------------------

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
ok, had a chance to read them properly now, they are so heartfelt, made me feel a lot more confident, i dont want to wait, i think i will go ahead in the next couple of weeks and then continue to read after, i'm going to go with my gut instinct, i do believe God had a hand in me meeting my husband so i will trust in him that the feelings i have are right too and stop being so negative or hesitant and letting fear get the better of me.... [Smile] thankyou [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
_Khalid_
Member # 10998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Khalid_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caterpillar:

Please don't worry. I converted and had no problems.
Like others have said, your local imam or any muslim woman should be happy to explain things to you.

So far as islam being a 'public' religion and worrying about being able to pray, do not worry.
As a woman you are not encouraged so much to go to mosque to pray(but obviously should not be stopped if you wish to) this is good especially as you begin in Islam because you can pray at home and not worry about 'doing anything wrong' in front of a bunch of people or looking silly.
I also found a link to a flash movie that should help, in terms of prayer.
http://www.islamicfinder.org/prayer/index.html

All I would say is to take your time and do not take the shahada until you feel you can pray 5 times a day without making too many mistakes. A few are common at first so do not worry about that.
Also, since you are married to a muslim, adjusting should not be too difficult for you.
When I reverted all I had to not do was eat pork, as I really didn't drink alcohol much anyways.
Finding halal meat here is hard as I'm stuck in a tiny market town...but for you I hope that will be easier.

There are a lot of good islamic book stores on the net...and do not worry about not knowing arabic. 2 years on I still know very little...although I am hoping to focus on learning arabic when I marry my wife-to-be(inshallah)

Good luck [Big Grin]

Posts: 61 | From: England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi caterpillar!

Alhamdu lillah, it looks as if you have been having some good experiences with Islam and Muslims and seeing the positive side of the religion, and I thank Allah that your husband has been able to help you to see this! [Smile] That is a real challenge these days with so much negative press about Islam about. Along with the other new Muslims I would like to encourage you on the path that you seem to be treading on. Btw. I am a British Muslimah and I said my shahadah several years ago now.

I am so happy that you are interested in becoming a Muslim, but I was reading one of your other posts and saw that it is not so long since you decided that you wanted to become a Catholic, and I would like to encourage you to take a bit more time before you make the final decision and not rush into it. When you say your shahadah (testify that there is no other god except Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger) to become a Muslim your intention has to be that this will be a commitment for life. If you read around you will find that there are some very strong disincentives to leaving Islam!

When you become a Muslim it means that you are agreeing to submit to Allah and what He revealed to us in the Qur’an and what His Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us. This doesn’t mean that you have to do everything all at once; it can be a gradual process…the Prophet took 23 years to teach his Companions the religion, and he was there to help them. [Wink] You have plenty of time to learn about the religion and improve your practice of it. Although I said my shahadah quite a while ago now, I am still learning and trying to include new things into my practice!

As the others said, you don’t have to know Arabic straight away, its encouraged for all Muslims to learn it, but the one thing that you will have to do is to gradually learn how to say your prayers in Arabic. The prayer is the most important thing that you should start to learn; as this is the main pillar of Islam…everything else can wait. [Smile] And you don’t have to learn how to do it before you become a Muslim, but once you say your shahadah it will become obligatory on you. You can do that in stages…learn one part of what you are supposed to say and keep on repeating it in all the sections until you have memorised it, and then start learning another part, until you have gradually learnt enough to do one whole prayer without a prompt. If you don’t feel able to do all the prayers at once…and most of us don’t…you can also do that gradually. You are really lucky to have your husband to help you learn all this…its much easier with a live teacher, than through the internet!

The main thing that you really do have to be convinced of before you say your shahadah is the implications of what saying that means. It’s natural to have the concerns that you have been having, but if you are convinced of what it means to be a Muslim, then you won’t worry about other people’s reaction to you, or what they say, because you will know that you did it for the right reasons. There is a lot written about this, but here are a few links that can help to explain this much better than I can.
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/9points.asp http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/aqeedah/0005.htm http://muslimconverts.com/shahadah/converting.htm http://groups.msn.com/IslamicKnowledge/newmusliminformationcentre.msnw

Please feel free to ask anything, and if we know the answers, we will be glad to share our knowledge, if not, we can hopefully point you in the direction of somewhere to find the answers. And may Allah be your guide!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Thankyou Khalid and newcomer, your words are also very positive and thank you for the links.

Newcomer, you mentioned about me becoming catholic, i think this was the beginning for me really, i was never christened as a child but always had a strong belief in God. When i had my son i was going to a centre to socialise as i had no family around me and was very lonely, the nuns there were lovely and i wanted to be christened with my son so this was my reason for it, whether it had been a catholic or christian church wouldnt have mattered to me, same God...this was about 7 years ago now. However, i never felt comfortable with the worship, as such, it always felt alian to me going to church, although i wanted to go, because i felt closer to God if i did, i just seemed to have a barrier with going to church on sundays. At this stage i would NEVER had considered islam, i didnt even know that we were worshipping the same God, i was very naieve (probably spelt wrong!!).
When I met my husband we started talking about religion alot more than i had ever had, he was always very wary of talking too much to me (and i admire him so much for that), but i had loads of questions...one of my biggest awakenings was that as christians we are often worshipping Jesus, I had never even considered this before and I had a crucifix in my house! This made me quite angry and i felt so stupid that i have never studied religion more to know what i was actually doing...of course jesus is important but my relationship is with God so why is there so much focus on every one else, even worse in catholisism, the church is full of statues!
My views and beliefs are alot more simple than alot of peoples, on here there are alot of very well read people and i respect that, all i know is that this time feels right, even things that at first i struggled with, eg. change of diet and dress (i changed these already) i now feel really comfortable with and wish i had felt so comfortable my whole life, i feel sad because as cliché as it sounds i really do feel like i have found where i belong...

I also feel like i am getting stronger day by day, at first i cared what people thought about what i was wearing and would NEVER EVER consider wearing a veil, however, now i love what i'm wearing and dont feel uncomfortable at all and i think that maybe one day i would wear a veil, i almost dont feel quite complete and have even been looking at them on the net!

the thing is, for those around me it would be as strange to them as at first it was to me, it has been such a quick change in me that its bound to make people question, the only way i can explain it is that it feels as though i have come home...

ok, i'm gonna go now before i cry!

ayisha...can i ask how your daughter adapted to the change? was she old enough to understand?

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
20:1~8 Ta-Ha. We have not sent down the Quran to thee to be (an occasion) for thy distress, But only as an admonition to those who fear ((Allah)),- A revelation from Him Who created the earth and the heavens on high. ((Allah)) Most Gracious is firmly established on the throne (of authority). To Him belongs what is in the heavens and on earth, and all between them, and all beneath the soil. If thou pronounce the word aloud, (it is no matter): for verily He knoweth what is secret and what is yet more hidden. Allah. there is no god but He! To Him belong the most Beautiful Names.

The extinction of race consciousness between Muslims is one of the outstanding achievements of Islam and in the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue.

It [Islam] replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind, and recognition of the fundamental facts of human nature.
- Canon Taylor
Paper read before the Church Congress at Walverhamton, Oct. 7, 1887. Quoted by Arnold in The Preaching of Islam pp. 71-72.

[The] sense of justice is one of the most wonderful ideals of Islam, because as I read in the Qur'an I find those dynamic principles of life, not mystic but practical ethics for the daily conduct of life suited to the whole world.
- Sarojini Naidu
Lectures on “The Ideals of Islam.†Speeches and Writings of Sarojini Naidu Madras, 1918, p. 167.

History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated.
- De Lacy O'Leary Islam at the Crossroads, London, 1923 p. 8.

The extinction of race consciousness between Muslims is one of the outstanding achievements of Islam and in the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue.
- A. J. Toynbee, Civilization on Trial; New York, 1948, p. 205.

I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capacity to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. I have studied him Ă the wonderful man Ă and in my opinion far from being an anti-Christ, he must be called the Saviour of Humanity. I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness. I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today.
- G. B. Shaw The Genuine Islam, Vol. 1, No. 81936.

I am not a Muslim in the usual sense, though I hope I am a ÒMuslimÓ as Òone surrendered to God.Ó But I believe that embedded in the Quran and other expressions of the Islamic vision are vast stores of divine truth from which I and other occidentals have still much to learn, and Islam is certainly a strong contender for the supplying of the basic framework of the one religion of the future.
- W. Montgomery Watt Islam and Christianity Today; London 1983, p. IX.

But Islam has a still further service to render to the cause of humanity. It stands after all nearer to the real East than Europe does, and it possesses a magnificent tradition of inter-racial understanding and cooperation. No other society has such a record of success in uniting in an equality of status, of opportunity, and of endeavors so many and so various races of mankind... Islam has still the power to reconcile apparently irreconcilable elements of race and tradition. If ever the opposition of the great societies of East and West is to be replaced by cooperation, the mediation of Islam is an indispensable condition. In its hands lies very largely the solution of the problem with which Europe is faced in its relation with the East. If they unite, the hope of a peaceful issue is immeasurably enhanced. But if Europe, by rejecting the cooperation of Islam, throws it into the arms of its rivals, the issue can only be disastrous for both.
- H. A. R. Gibb Whither Islam; London, 1932, p. 379.

The rise of Islam is perhaps the most amazing event in human history. Springing from a land and a people [which were] previously negligible, Islam spread within a century over half the earth, shattering great empires, overthrowing long-established religions, re-moulding the souls of races, and building up a whole new world - the world of Islam. The closer we examine this development the more extraordinary does it appear. The other great religions won their way slowly, by painful struggle and finally triumphed with the aid of powerful monarchs converted to the new faith. Christianity had its Constantine, Buddhism had its Asoka, and Zoroastrianism had its Cyrus, each lending to his chosen cult the mighty force of secular authority. Not so Islam. Arising in a desert land sparsely inhabited by a nomad race previously undistinguished in human annals, Islam sallied forth on its great adventure with the slenderest human backing and against the heaviest material odds. Yet Islam triumphed with seemingly miraculous ease, and a couple of generations saw the Fiery Crescent borne victorious from the Pyrenees to the Himalayas and from the desert of Central Asia to the deserts of Central Africa.
- A. M. L. Stoddard Quoted in Islam: The Religion of All Prophets Begum Bawani Waqf Karachi, Pakistan p. 56.

Islam is a religion that is essentially rationalistic in the widest sense of this term considered etymologically and historically. The definition of rationalism as a system that bases religious beliefs on principles furnished by the reason applies to it exactly... It cannot be denied that many doctrines and systems of theology and also many superstitions, from the worship of saints to the use of rosaries and amulets, have become grafted on the main trunk of the Muslim creed. But in spite of the rich development, in every sense of the term, of the teachings of the Prophet, the Quran has invariably kept its place as the fundamental starting point, and the dogma of unity of God has always been proclaimed therein with a grandeur, a majesty, an invariable purity and with a note of sure conviction, which it is hard to find surpassed outside the pale of Islam. This fidelity to the fundamental dogma of the religion, the elemental simplicity of the formula in which it is enunciated, the proof that it gains from the fervid conviction of the missionaries who propagate it, are so many causes to explain the success of Muhammadan [Muslim] missionary efforts. A creed so precise, so stripped of all theological complexities and consequently so accessible to the ordinary understanding might be expected to possess and does indeed possess a marvellous power of winning its way into the consciences of men.
- Edward Montet “La Propagande Chretienne et ses Adversaries Musulmans,†Paris 1890. Quoted by T.W. Arnold in The Preaching of Islam London, 1913, pp. 413-414.

these are sum
of what people have quoted

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
A British Neo-Nazi's Journey to Islam

By Abdul Aziz Myatt

Islam - submission to the will of Allah. I converted to Islam because there came a time when both my mind and my heart accepted that there was no god but Allah and that Muhammad was His Messenger. All that I had believed and upheld before this conversion is at worst wrong, and at best irrelevant.

My duty now, the purpose of my life, is to do the will of Allah, to submit to the will of Allah — to strive, In sha' Allah, to be a good, a devout, Muslim. To live as a Muslim in the way that Allah has decreed, through his Prophet and Messenger Muhammad. One of the many wonderful things which occurred on the day I converted was when the Imam of the Mosque explained that by accepting Islam I had begun a new life — Allah had forgiven me my sins, and it was as if I started my life again with my Book of Life, the record of my sins, empty.

I have a new life now, a new identity — for I am a Muslim, and all Muslims are my brothers, wherever they happen to live, and whatever race they are said to belong to.

How was it that I, a Westerner with a history of political involvement in extreme "right-wing" organizations, came to be standing one Sunday outside a Mosque with a sincere desire to go inside and convert to Islam? The simple answer is that it was the will of Allah — He guided me there. As for my political past, it belongs to the past. All I can do now is to trust in Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful, the Lord of all the worlds.

As Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid — a distinguished scholar — has said:

"Asking for details of a persons past and wanting to know what sins they might have committed when they were ignorant about Islam is not right at all. Allah covers peoples' sins and loves to see them covered (i.e. not dragged out into the open). So long as a person has repented, his sins have been wiped out. Islam deletes whatever came before, so why should we ask questions that will only embarrass people? Allah accepts people's repentance without their having to confess or expose their sins to any other person. A number of the sahabah [companions of the Prophet] had committed adultery and murder repeatedly, or had buried infant girls alive, or stolen things, but when they entered Islam they were the best of people. No one needs to be reminded of a shameful past; it is over and done with, and Allah is the All-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

In terms of the 'Western' explanation that most Westerners will seek in order to try and understand my conversion, I suppose my journey toward Islam began when I first went to Egypt and, as a tourist, visited a Mosque. The Adhan — the call to prayer — had begun and I was struck by its beauty.

Ina Lazeena agramu kanu milal lazeen amanu yadhaku.
The Sinful used to laugh at those who believed.(83:30)

wa iza moru behim yata ghamazoon.
and whenever they passed by them, used to win at each other (in mockery)(83:31)

wa izangalaboo ila ahlimu angalbu fakeeheen
and when they returned to their own people, they would say "Behold, these are people Truly Astray!(83:32)

wa ma ursilu alayhim haveezeen
but they have not been sent as guardians over them!(83:33)

falyamul lazen amanu min al kufari yadhakoon
But on this Day(Judgement) The believers will laugh at the Unbelievers(83:34)

hal thoowibal kufaru ma kanoo yafaloon
Will not the unbelievers have been paid back for what they did?(83:36)

Think about this

Salamu Alaiakum

you can be a muslim in your heart without it being on paper ,has long has in yourmind and in your heart you believe u will never be unbeliever ...remeber allahknow s what you think and feel he even trys to answer your thoughts and your confusion too even if you have hard time unbleieveing he is there to help you no mistaking that ...

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
thank you chimps for taking the time to put that on there, was really nice to read x
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caterpillar, will you please let us know when/if you decide to take Shahada? I wish to throw you an online ES congratulations party. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 9314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading this topic with a great deal of interest since I'm feeling much the same as caterpillar, and reading through some of her comments has been like seeing my thoughts in print!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to her for starting the topic, and a big thankyou to everyone who's taken the time to reply [Smile]

Salam

Posts: 127 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Enigma, you're right, sometimes we see pieces of ourselves in others, especially their concerns. If you ever want to talk, or Caterpillar, just feel to contact any of us, I for one am always available ! Best of luck.
Smuckers

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Talking to Catapillar is like talking to a man who just came out of the doctor's office after being told he had terminal cancer.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
have yo got a clue about terminal cancer ,need to know of sumone with it be before making acusation like that ,why cant you ever be nice for once and wish the girl well ,even if it painly kills you ....
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
its not that it kills me, its what it does to her.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
so you like to rub up the wrong way is that it ,you love the confrontation isee..may me aske u female or male ..
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
No I just feel sorry for the poor girl giving up all of freedom as a human being.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
horemheb...thankyou for feeling sorry for me, i thank God that i dont (as far as i know) have terminal cancer...i am interested that you say i am giving up my freedom, thats a very good point, now would that be the freedom to experience casual sex? oh but of course they REALLY care, or maybe get pregnant and be left holding the baby? perhaps the freedom to go out and get p***** and fight off the guys that want to take you home for one reason only, or maybe the freedom to try and do everything on my own? the freedom to believe in nothing, have no hope, and be truly alone? the freedom to go clubbing and avoid all the pill poppers? the freedom to wear skimpy clothes so that i can give men cheap, no get it right...FREE..thrills! yes, men can whip it out and stand at a bus stop next to you cos something they saw turned them on...oh how fantastic my life has been in my world of 'freedom', quite honestly you can keep it, in fact i will willingly donate to you personally all of the freedom i have had and you can enjoy it to your hearts content!!!
sorry if my focus is on sex, its just that in my life of 'freedom' that is what most of it has been about!!!

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
so get it right...i think you'll find the doctor told me the cancer is in remission and will soon be gone completely!!
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
thanks smuckers that would be fun [Smile] Enigma, i'm glad you have been able to relate to what i'm saying, what stage are you at? how are you finding things?

you can always have a bed next to me at the hospice! [Wink]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
The freedom you are giving up is not just to have casual sex. its the freedom to make the major choices for your life, to have a mind of your own. To be treated like a woman, not a child. you see a confident free man wants a woman who has as much frredom and power as he does. he does not have to dominate and abuse a woman just to make himself feel good. In Islam its all a control thing. They tell you its religon but its just control.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
oh i see, forgive me, so what i'm really doing is swapping lack of respect for 'control' so if my husband isnt controlling me in the way you say, then i'm onto a winner yes?
interesting comment about the confident free man...where were they? i must have missed them? only the ones i have known have been mostly immature trying to prove to themselves that if they can keep going down the pub with the lads getting p***** and can keep s******* anything in a skirt and can avoid being there for their kids and settling down then that makes them REAL MEN in the eyes of their mates...the sad thing is that IT DOES!!!!

you say a confident man wants a women who has as much freedom and power as he does...no let me correct you...he just thinks he does! for the first 5 minutes, THEN he throws his toys out of the pram.

now for me specifically...
1.I have a mind of my own...trust me!
2.My husband treats me more like a woman than any other man i have known, mostly i have been treated as a toy previously.
3.My husband has more genuine confidence in one single hair on his head than any man i have ever dated, he doesn't need to prove himself constantly.
4.he does not dominate or abuse me, however i have been dominated and 'abused' by other non muslim men on more than one occasion.
5. you can look at any religion and say its about control
6. 'they' have told me nothing, whoever 'they' are...please refer back to point 1.

so bring it on cos i am seriously in the mood for this tonight, i've had a bad day so i might as well take it out on you!

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
The fact that you are converting and not him tells us a lot to start with. You know exactly what I am talking about however much you want to put it in the back of your mind.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
The fact that you are converting and not him tells us a lot to start with.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE 100% he doesnt like lager, doesnt fancy having an std and would find being an absent parent much too difficult...sorry, but as attractive as those prospects were for him i just couldnt do it to him, call me controlling but its my way or no way! guess thats what you get for having a mind of your own!
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
im a muslim born a muslim i have plenty freedom and i go out i just know far to go ...and gorden bennet i have a mind of my own and i drss like a bloomin hippey.. [Razz]
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
i think i lost the plot a bit there chimps...oops
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
If a man like Muhammed were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness."
------------------------ ============================
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member posted 23 May, 2006 05:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think i lost the plot a bit there chimps...oops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 102 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006 | IP: Logged |
-----------------------

was not referring to you shud have quoted who i was talking of..but it certainly was not you ,and you get carried away gives the whole brain a stress free zone .. [Smile]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
woowwww so many new posts i cant keep up here!! I skimmed through coz im busy but did see a question to me about my daughter.

I have 3 kids, all grown up, Alhamdulillah!! and 7 and half grandkids [Big Grin] (one on way) They have been wonderful and totally accepted my reverting to Islam. I think at first they may have thought 'mums going through a phase' but after almost 4 years they now know its not just a phase [Big Grin]

It did help with them going to an inner city school and knowing more muslim kids than I knew muslims!! but they had an idea what Islam was about as they shared this religion in school, including Ramadan and Eid. It also helped that I have broad minded kids [Big Grin]

will get back to this when i done some more painting

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
The fact that you are converting and not him tells us a lot to start with. You know exactly what I am talking about however much you want to put it in the back of your mind.

i think you may have got this wrong HE is already Muslim so HE does not need to convert as well as her.

I suppose it must be hard for you, sitting there watching all these good wishes that we may. InshaAllah, have another revert who sees clearly that Islam is MORE freeing and beneficial to women than any other religion ever has been. Seeing another woman who wants to give up freely the 'freedom' to have to dress to please others, mainly men and to compete with other women in the 'fashion' stakes. A woman that HAS found she does not need any intermediary to GOD and is HAPPY in her decision.

Must hurt.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Its like watching someone be led off to ececution.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
DONT WATCH THEN!!!! [Eek!] U MISSED THE ''X ''OUT
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com