EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » a whig instead of a veil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a whig instead of a veil
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was amazed when I saw this Dutch documentary of women in Turkey. They are not alowd to veil in school, work or in public offices. So now they turn to wearing a whig! Tightly bind their hair under a veil and put a whig ont it preferrably with a ponytail and long hair over the ears.
Gives one a sudden insight on why orthodox Jewish women wear whigs.
And they want to be in the European union becaus in Europe you are free to wear one!:-)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:

How did the custom of Jewish married women wearing wigs come about?

Jewish married women have always been required to cover their hair. In the olden days it was with kerchiefs of some kind, but as women wanted to look more glamorous, they began to look into wigs. Wigs have looked wiggy for a hundred years or more, it is only recently that the Jewish wig trade has become so sophisticated and the use of European human hair has made the wigs look as good, or even better than the woman's own hair. The Rabbis have started questioning whether these wigs meet the religious requirements of modesty, but since they cover the woman's own hair, however glamorously, I think the Rabbis are onto a loser if they expect women to go back to the ugly wiggy wigs of the past.

http://ruthiepearlman.com/customs.html

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jewish women in Europe continued to wear veils until the nineteenth century when their lives became more intermingled with the surrounding secular culture. The external pressures of the European life in the nineteenth century forced many of them to go out bare-headed. Some Jewish women found it more convenient to replace their traditional veil with a wig as another form of hair covering. Today, most pious Jewish women do not cover their hair except in the synagogue.

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/w_islam/veil.htm

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingspirit :)
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it is a very cool ideal to wear the wig instead of the veil, chic khales [Smile]

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your natural hair is better than anything.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I was amazed when I saw this Dutch documentary of women in Turkey. They are not alowd to veil in school, work or in public offices. So now they turn to wearing a whig! Tightly bind their hair under a veil and put a whig ont it preferrably with a ponytail and long hair over the ears.
And they want to be in the European union becaus in Europe you are free to wear one!:-)

I thought about that... why not wear wigs instead of the veil? [Big Grin]

But then again, isnt the veil supposed to for having a low profile & not attracting attnetion to you? the wig is gonna attract attention

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say, "Oh, poor girl, you're so beautiful you know It's a shame that you cover up your beauty so."

She just smiles and graciously responds reassuringly, "This beauty that I have is just one simple part of me. This body that I have, no stranger has the right to see. These long clothes, this shawl I wear, ensure my modesty.
Faith is more essential than fashion, wouldn't you agree?"

This hijab, This mark of piety, Is an act of faith, a symbol, For all the world to see.
A simple cloth, to protect her dignity.
So lift the veil from your heart to see the heart of purity.

They tell her, "Girl, don't you know this is the West and you are free? You don't need to be oppressed, ashamed of your femininity."

She just shakes her head and she speaks so assuredly, "See the bill-boards and the magazines that line the check-out isles,
with their phony painted faces and their air-brushed smiles? Well their sheer clothes and low cut gowns they are really not for me. You call it freedom, I call it anarchy."
This hijab, This mark of piety, Is an act of faith, a symbol, For all the world to see.
A simple cloth, to protect her dignity.

So lift the veil from your heart to see the heart of purity.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingspirit :)
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually neither will attract the attention veil or wig, coz now 99.99 of egyptian woman are veiled and they WOULD look if you are NOT veiled loooooooool, wigs no one would look if you set it naturally ...not wear one like an old bally dancer and the faith and respect is betweeen you and yourself what do you care, you know that you are 7eshma and conservative and convered it is between you and god, the hell with everyone else

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com