EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Ramadan breath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramadan breath
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how's the whole Ramadan breath thing workin' out for people in Egypt. I am here in Boston and am just about the only muslim I know so I only have my own bad breath to deal with come 3pm or so but my goodness I cannot imagine what it must be like on those cramped busses, etc. in late afternoon right before Maghrib! [Big Grin] [Eek!]
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha....I usually avoid talking to ppl around that time of day. If I do I cover my mouth! It's not pleasant.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO U KNOW DOODLEBUT YO BEAT ME I NEARELY DID A THREAD ON THIS ,I HATE THE SMELL EXSPECIALLY WHEN U HAVE TO LIVE WITH ONE THROUGH IT ,IREFUSE TO SLEEP THERE IN THE SAME BED FOR AT LEAST 31DAYS AND NO CONTACT NEITHER ,LOL LOL ,
MAN WHY YOU NEED A NUCELAR BOMB WHEN YOU CAN GAS THEM OUT WITH THE MUSLIM RAMADAN BREATH [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Confused]

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might sound ignorant and stupid - why??? Is brushing teeth not allowed during Ramadan????
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming its because as you are not allowed to swallow water during daylight hours, then teeth brushing/mouthwash is not allowed either?
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tibe!

Brushing the teeth is allowed in the daytime in Ramadan, but we just have to make sure that we don't swallow any of the water or toothpaste as we are not allowed to take anything by mouth. The smell comes on the breath because we don't eat or drink and it comes from the stomach when it is empty, not the mouth.

There is a Hadith where the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the bad smell from the mouth of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk." [Sahih al-Bukhari (1893) and Sahih Muslim (1151)] It is said that this is because it is an indication that the person is obeying Allah's command and fasting.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people avoid brushing their teeth during the day in Ramadan. This is a mistake, since there is no contradiction between observing the fast and brushing one's teeth. Moreover, Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Were it not for the hardship that I would be placing upon my people, I would have ordered them to engage in siwâk for every prayer.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (887) and Sahîh Muslim (252)]

http://www.islamtoday.net/english/showme2.cfm?cat_id=2&sub_cat_id=837

For the sake of everyone around you I think it is a GOOD idea to brush your teeth during Ramadan [Big Grin]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out though, that I think people abstain from brusing their teeth because of a hadith regarding the smell of Ramadan breath:

"I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the Khaluf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk." [Sahih al-Bukhari (1893) and Sahih Muslim (1151)]

As far as I know that doesn't mean you shouldn't brush your teeth. Muslims should be clean.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for answering. I have e few more questions you might be able to help me with. When do children be expected to start fasting (what age?)
Is drinking not allowed at all? what about the hard working people and the old people ????

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its ergh and horrible,i cant fast due to health reasons at this present time but i never allowed my breath to get smelly is crap and half the time its down to what you ate in the morning and if you dont take any drink in the morning ,brush ur teeth good for the morning and u cant go wrong ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:
Thank you for answering. I have e few more questions you might be able to help me with. When do children be expected to start fasting (what age?)
Is drinking not allowed at all? what about the hard working people and the old people ????

Children are usually trained gradually to start fasting from about the age of 7, by doing a few hours in a day, then gradually extending it. When the time is long they can maybe do alternate days and gradually build up to full time. It becomes an obligation on them when they reach puberty, so this way makes it easier for them.

With the kids, they can gradually be weaned off drinks, but an adult is not allowed to eat, drink, or have sexual relations from dawn to dusk. The only exceptions to that are: menstruating women, travellers, people who are too sick or weak to fast (if it would cause a severe exacerbation of their condition), pregnant or nursing women (if it would harm them or their baby), and people who have very heavy manual jobs (who would not be able to work otherwise). All these people will have to do some form of compensation for the days that they missed, either by doing the fasts at a later date or feeding a specified number of poor people.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do brush my teeth but my breath still smells. I think it comes from internally in your body after not having eaten for x amount of hours.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw the bad breath, how about the severly bad attitudes of smokers? Cripes I didn't know that by fullfilling your religious obligations gives fasters the right to be so mean!
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for silent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
la2 ba2a da enti bent 2a7ba begad...

--------------------
muito obrigado por voces

Posts: 165 | From: São paulo/Brazil Cairo/Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doodlebut, I am outside Boston - Cape Cod, so almost no moslems. Islamic Society of Boston has some good folks.
Yeah, my breath is about the last thing I worry about when fasting. Like, trying to carry a conversation is hard enough.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Hi QueenBee! I'm on the North Shore but we usually go to Brewster in the summer for a week or so!
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Only Brazilian Pharaoh:
la2 ba2a da enti bent 2a7ba begad...

[Big Grin] el talmooz el sa3'eer et3alem mn el me3alema el aba7a [Big Grin]

Fakarteny b Ahmed Zaki fi film Al Ra3y W Al Nesaa Lama kan by2ool "la2a ba2a" w kan asdo 7aga abee7a zai el enta 2oltaha [Big Grin]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you people talk like most egyptians brush their teeth anyway...but for the few who do, are you forgetting to brush your tongue? thats where the bacteria lay.
Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
I do brush my teeth but my breath still smells. I think it comes from internally in your body after not having eaten for x amount of hours.

My hubby fasted all month and brushed his teeth a few times a day as usual ( non smoker which helps )
Bad breath comes more from the tongue than the teeth, and if you use a tongue scraper ( from any pharmacy) you will be amazed what comes off and how good it works!
It really works...............

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:

My hubby fasted all month and brushed his teeth a few times a day as usual ( non smoker which helps )
Bad breath comes more from the tongue than the teeth, and if you use a tongue scraper ( from any pharmacy) you will be amazed what comes off and how good it works!
It really works...............

I don think it's just the tongue..... it's from inside the tummy........ when you dont eat you produce bad breath........ you can wash your teeth & tongue several times but can still smell
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Cinders but brushing the tongue does nothing. You need a scraper, dentist now recommend them as well as flossing, [Smile]
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com