EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Would you let your sister or daughter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you let your sister or daughter
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic has evolved from another one regarding cultural practices, but I want to make this topic more specific (question to you is at the bottom) so:

I believe that when cultural practices overide religious obligations and duties, that's when the person's morals run into deep waters. Sometimes, Parents do not take heed of the Quran and Sunnah when it comes to things like marriage, because they are too busy engulfed in cultural practices.
Take for example, marriage within families. It is heard all too often that children have to marry within the family - no consideration is given as to how suitable the spouse is going to be for thier son or daughter, because he or she is related, he or she is exempt from such considerations or scrutiny.
I know of parents who have been happy to marry their sons & daughters to their incompatible cousins, knowing full well about their characters and personality, but they still go ahead with this. Piousness, status, education, personality, manners, are hardly taken into account. Parents feel they 'owe' something to their brothers or sisters and so sacrifice thier own childrens lives by forcing to marry them to their nieces and nephews.

In addition to this, parents disregard many good potential spouses for thier children simply because they are not of the family, caste or background. :
There are egyptian muslims out there who would rather marry their daughter to a man from within the family who, for example, is well known to be a druggy, alcoholic, fraudster, an unpious person of no real religious substance, than marry her to a pious good kind considerate black or white muslim man, or an asian man of different origin/bckground/caste -

Questions to ponder:

How are we to come out of the dark ages in regards to this practice?
What example do we give to those who have converted/reveretd to ISLAM?
When will such barriers be removed from our hearts to really welcome true brotherhood?
To really implement equality at its best?
To really show that we believe what our Lord, The Almight, Allah (swt) believes - in His eyes we are as equals are we not?
So why can we not see past colour, race, origin etc?
Why can we not see one another as equals?

SPECIFIC QUESTION:

Would you be happy to marry your sister, daughter to a good muslim man of another caste/race/ethnicity/colour/origin? If not, then why?

please answer honestly

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
absolutely.
Unfortunately, this same phenomena is present in many cultures, muslim and non. Personally, we dont have this problem in my family. Families that do practice the marrying into the family thing always have the reasoning that " we know the family is safe, no suprises" so I cant imagine them being ok with marrying their daughter to some crack head cousin.
You've actually addressed two issues, that is marrying with in the family, and marrying outside of your ethnicity/culture.

Personally, i think second generation Muslims are changing things, I know alot of Muslims mixing, alhumdulilah. Theres no way a Muslim who refuses to marry outside of their ethnicity wont feel sheepish when you point out what theyre promoting is against islam. Theres still white people who freak out if their kids date black people in the U.S. Its a slow process.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be happy to let my sister/daughter marry whomever they h*** they d*mn please. I don't intend to "marry my sister or daughter to someone." I believe that they can do that for themselves.
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any question that is preceded by the words 'would you let your sister, daughter ...' smells of a paternalistic viewpoint, misogynistic, and a bit 'tribal' for the 21st century, no?
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it's a question out of personal experience, of cross cultural marriage.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One may 'consent' or 'approve of' cross cultural marriage, but if one's sister or daughter is old enough to marry, surely she's old enough to decide for herself just who she's planning to spend her life with?
I know family support is important, but I don't really approve of either 'arranged marriages' or 'arranged breakups'.
Tribal. Marriage between cousins and so on are usually to do with keeping the money, or land, in the family. Not a good practice genetically either, and we don't live in the desert these days do we?
Tribal. Outdated. Lot of unhappy couples out ther.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WOTEVER:
No it's a question out of personal experience, of cross cultural marriage.

ive married out of culture and different caste and its caused some problems but i actually dont care ,my daughter is another problem with her being has she is she is having th right to choose as long as ie hes a muslim i even said if hes white and reverts to islam then i still not got a problem but theres no going out or being boyfriend or girlfriend in that sence i thinki think this way casue she is autistic and slight auspergers i dont want her to be used in any way ,if her father who is of pakistani origen (oh by the was ES chimps has been married 3times )ok 1.he beat me..no 2 he slept in bed wif a 17 year old im not ashamed to tell you this CAUSE IM BETTER THAN THEM ,but if my daughters dad wanted his way hed marry her to his family NEPHEW [Mad] ,AND THAT I WILL NOT TOLERATE IN ANY WAY ,,oh by the way the were big gaps in my marrying again ..lol lol hope that amuses you ...but iprefer my culture and im a memon mostly easy going people ,not normally a issue to marry who u want ...(chimps)
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WOTEVER:
This topic has evolved from another one regarding cultural practices, but I want to make this topic more specific (question to you is at the bottom) so:

I believe that when cultural practices overide religious obligations and duties, that's when the person's morals run into deep waters. Sometimes, Parents do not take heed of the Quran and Sunnah when it comes to things like marriage, because they are too busy engulfed in cultural practices.
Take for example, marriage within families. It is heard all too often that children have to marry within the family - no consideration is given as to how suitable the spouse is going to be for thier son or daughter, because he or she is related, he or she is exempt from such considerations or scrutiny.
I know of parents who have been happy to marry their sons & daughters to their incompatible cousins, knowing full well about their characters and personality, but they still go ahead with this. Piousness, status, education, personality, manners, are hardly taken into account. Parents feel they 'owe' something to their brothers or sisters and so sacrifice thier own childrens lives by forcing to marry them to their nieces and nephews.

In addition to this, parents disregard many good potential spouses for thier children simply because they are not of the family, caste or background. :
There are egyptian muslims out there who would rather marry their daughter to a man from within the family who, for example, is well known to be a druggy, alcoholic, fraudster, an unpious person of no real religious substance, than marry her to a pious good kind considerate black or white muslim man, or an asian man of different origin/bckground/caste -

Questions to ponder:

How are we to come out of the dark ages in regards to this practice?
What example do we give to those who have converted/reveretd to ISLAM?
When will such barriers be removed from our hearts to really welcome true brotherhood?
To really implement equality at its best?
To really show that we believe what our Lord, The Almight, Allah (swt) believes - in His eyes we are as equals are we not?
So why can we not see past colour, race, origin etc?
Why can we not see one another as equals?

SPECIFIC QUESTION:

Would you be happy to marry your sister, daughter to a good muslim man of another caste/race/ethnicity/colour/origin? If not, then why?

please answer honestly

You raise some good points Wotever and I was actually watching an Islamic Lecture last night that touched on this point. IMHO culture has no place in Islam if it's to be practiced correctly. The Arabs had their own cultural practices in the times of Jahiliya and many of the Quran's messages aimed to eradicate some of these practices.

I don't mean that people should turn their back on their roots and background, but if any of their cultural practices compromise true Islamic beliefs then Islam should come first! (MY OPINION!)

One of the rights of women in Islam is to marry whom she pleases. "Forced" marriages are not Islamic, they are cultural, however I don't see a problem with arranged marriages if the two parties consent. Outside of Islam you have "blind dating" and many people don't have a problem with that. You can "guide" your daughters to the man you think would be good for them, but you should never MAKE them marry your choice. If you bring your daughters up in a good way and they learn to respect your decisions and advice then this shouldn't be a problem. How many Daughters seek their Mother's (or Father's) opinions in their life choices? Many children value what their parents think and will trust that they have their best interests at heart. It's all about respect - two ways.

If I had a daughter and if my sister was a Muslim, I WOULD be pleased for them to marry any good Muslim man regardless of their caste/race/ethnicity/colour/origin.

I do believe though that as realistically culture is playing a big part in the lives of Muslims today, that you would have to take that into account when marrying. One of my rights as a Muslim women is to work (as long as I am in control of my responsibilities as a Muslim woman), yet if I married a man whose culture and family are opposed to this, then I would have to show him the door (an example).

I never read anywhere in Quran or Hadith that interfamilial marriages are preferable and I believe that medical studies show the disadvantages if too much of this goes on [Big Grin]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think anybody is allowed interference in who their children or siblings are marrying. Love is a personal thing and I hope I have thought my daughter to follow her heart at all times. Offcourse I will be sad and angry if she chooses to marry a drugaddict, criminel ect..... but she a smart clever little girl so that will hopefully not be up for discussion. Also if she chooses the "wrong person" I will be there to back her up when it goes wrong.
I said to her and will keep on saying to her : please dont marry before the age of 25. I will pay for your weddingdress if you dont.

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, we're obviously getting opinions from people of very different backgrounds. Whoever said that arranged marriages are "tribal"i take offence. you are suggesting that your western traditions are more culturally advanced than of others, which is a biased view. Just because something is different from what you're used to, or what you prefer, doesnt mean that its any less legitamite. Western ideals are not the epitome of civilization. Many arranged marriages work, as opposed to those couple who shack up for 10 years before theyre finally married, and then get divorced the next year. I'm not saying theyre perfect, but nothing is. I also think that familys do play huge roles in marriages, atleast in a muslim family, where the family unit ( for the most part) is still held together. I personally would not marry the man i wantto until my parents approved, and it took a while, but it was completely worth it.
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CairoStudent
Member # 10528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CairoStudent   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok maybe this is a Western thing, but who the F*CK marries their own goddammed COUSIN?

That is so wack I can't believe it.

No woman I know would ever marry her cousin, that is so weird and perverted, not to mention ruins the genetic structural integrity of the future children.

That is why we saw so many Saudis in the American hospital in Baltimore where they fix brith defects.

Because all these idiots keep marrying their cousins, and the children end up with deformed legs and all kinds of ****.

There is 6 billion people in the world. Marry someone you are not related to. Simple.

--------------------
BLAME CANADA

Posts: 214 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CairoStudent:
Ok maybe this is a Western thing, but who the F*CK marries their own goddammed COUSIN?

No woman I know would ever marry her cousin, that is so weird and perverted, not to mention ruins the genetic structural integrity of the future children.

That is why we saw so many Saudis in the American hospital in Baltimore where they fix brith defects.

Because all these idiots keep marrying their cousins, and the children end up with deformed legs and all kinds of ****.

There is 6 billion people in the world. Marry someone you are not related to. Simple.

I know it seems weird to us (Westerners), although marrying first cousins is allowed in many states in the U.S. (including Maryland by the way).

However, I think the concept of birth defects in intermarriage is a bit overblown. I went for genetic counseling when I was first pregnant because I was older, *and* because my Egyptian husband's parents are first cousins.

My genetic counselor told me that in a typical marriage, there is a risk of genetically-inherited birth defect in 1-2% of all live births. In cases where parents were related at first cousin level, the rate doubles, but still is only 2-4%. My husband's family has no birth defects or inherent health problems. In fact, they are very healthy and highly intelligent (thank God).

Still, I wouldn't ever marry someone blood-related myself, as my own social stigma against it is too strong.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

quote:
Originally posted by Left.Side.Lying.State.Of.Mind:
quote:
Originally posted by CairoStudent:

I know it seems weird to us (Westerners), although marrying first cousins is allowed in many states in the U.S. (including Maryland by the way).

However, I think the concept of birth defects in intermarriage is a bit overblown. I went for genetic counseling when I was first pregnant because I was older, *and* because my Egyptian husband's parents are first cousins.

My genetic counselor told me that in a typical marriage, there is a risk of genetically-inherited birth defect in 1-2% of all live births. In cases where parents were related at first cousin level, the rate doubles, but still is only 2-4%. My husband's family has no birth defects or inherent health problems. In fact, they are very healthy and highly intelligent (thank God).

Still, I wouldn't ever marry someone blood-related myself, as my own social stigma against it is too strong.

thats interesting to know. I think the birth effects occur when the interfamily marriage just keeps going and going and going. like your great grand parents were cousins, then your grandparents were cousins, then your parents, etc etc.
As to the stigma of marrying first cousins, i always wondered WHY it was a stigma in the west? its not forbidden in Christianity of Judaism, so where did this come from?
And I think that Muslims see that the prophet Muhammad (saw) had Ali (who was his cousin) marry his daughter. So such relationships are considered fine. It even says in the Quran which marital relationships are forbidden, and marrying your cousin isnt one of them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com