EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Can The Quran Stand Alone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can The Quran Stand Alone?
SUKKUR
Member # 13009

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SUKKUR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Quran cannot be understood on its own. Without the hadith this book is obtuse and utterly incomprehensible. To understand the Quran we must understand its context. In Arabic it is called “sha’ne nozool” or the circumstances in which the verses were “revealed” and the states of affair that they address. Without understanding the history behind each verse you can’t understand the Quran. Take the example of Sura 111

"Perish the hands of the Father of Flame! Perish he!
No profit to him from all his wealth, and all his gains!
Burnt soon will he be in a Fire of Blazing Flame!
His wife shall carry the (crackling) wood - As fuel!-
A twisted rope of palm-leaf fibre round her (own) neck!"

This is the entire sura. It is a small sura consisting of five verses of cursing. If you do not know anything about the story behind this sura you do not understand it.

Let us take another example:

Sura 38:41-44
"And remember Our servant Ayyub, when he called upon his Lord: The Shaitan has afflicted me with toil and torment.
Urge with your foot; here is a cool washing-place and a drink.
And We gave him his family and the like of them with them, as a mercy from Us, and as a reminder to those possessed of understanding.
And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with It and do not break your oath; surely We found him patient; most excellent the servant! Surely he was frequent m returning (to Allah)".
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/038.qmt.html?#038.044

Do these verses make any sense on their own?

Examples abound. In fact most of the Quran cannot be understood without knowing its context.

How do we know the context of these verses? They are mostly in tafseer. Tafseer means explanation, clarification, interpretation, etc. The interpreters/commentators of the Quran (mofasserin) base their interpretations on the hadith and the books of history.

For example Sura 9 consists of two parts. The first part is called Bara’at (redemption) and the second part is called Tawbah (repentance). You can’t understand this Sura unless you know what they refer to. The Bara’at was written during the invasion of Mecca. It is called Bara’at because in this part of the Sura allegedly God is telling Muhammad that he is free to break his treaties with the pagans unilaterally. All the verses refer to that occasion. The Tawbah was written when Muhammad returned from the war of Tabuk and found a few Muslims had stayed behind and had not gone to war. He ordered the population of Medina to not talk to these deserters and even ordered that their wives move out of their homes. For forty days no one talked to these people and passed them by as if they were invisible. After forty days Muhammad accepted their repentance and in this Sura he laid the conditions of repentance.

These details are in the history and in hadith. You cannot understand this sura and any sura, properly without knowing the history behind it.

As you see the Quranonly people can’t even understand the Quran without the hadith and sira. What interpretation can they give us when they deny the background and the context of the Quran?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to interpret Qur'an
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Try2CLight
Member # 11738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Try2CLight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Sukkur,I agree with you that the verses of Quran came by occasions and every verse or sura matching its event as you said,so now Quran is a history book matching the events that happened before 1428 years,therefore people in 2007 don't have to apply these verses on their life because it's an ancient words came by the purpose of an old occasions can't matching the modern life we are living now,proof for that the true Muslims man or woman want to wear the same clothes that was exist that time and getting the same medication that was exist in that time too.

Have you discovered now why Muslims youth want to immigrate to USA and Europe and why Muslims in UK wearing the same clothes since 1428 years back,they are living out the era except other Muslims who like to live in present modern life or don't follow Islam.
so answer to your question Quran can't stand at all except in Islamic museum.

Posts: 903 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does this mean I should fall on the ground laughing whenever I hear a "revert" claim that she (it's always a "she") only acknowledges the Qu'ran and not the Hadiths..

Because God knows those reverts love to pick and choose [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
usually reverts are at certain stages in their spiritual development, although I would be very surprised at you really knowing any. [Roll Eyes]
I wonder why you didn't mention the cafeteria christians, unless you have an agenda, wouldn't that be a shocker? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh believe me, after trolling on these boards for years, I've come across PLENTY of reverts [Big Grin]

And why do you assume I'm pro-Christan? I'm just anti-religious period..

Not anti-God however. I believe very strongly in God, but I denounce "religious gods," which I view as false and man made.

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh another one that thinks he has a different God. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Ayisha, didn't we have this discussion two months ago or something?

Even SWYS agreed with me, so thats all that needs to be said [Razz]

~Alistair

--------------------
Lies fade like smoke when uncovered..but Truth, burns like fire.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Conditioned:
Ayisha, didn't we have this discussion two months ago or something?

Even SWYS agreed with me, so thats all that needs to be said [Razz]

~Alistair

2 months ago?? Alistair, if I can remember a discussion yesterday i consider im doing well [Roll Eyes]

And I DON'T agree with you [Razz]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Ayisha, I know what you mean. I can't remember the debate Alistair mentions but whatever I said, I take it back, if i agreed with him. [Big Grin] [Razz]

(Kidding, Alistair [Smile] )

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com