EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Where do the"5 Pillars Of Islam" Come from?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do the"5 Pillars Of Islam" Come from?
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Volume 1, Book 2, Number 7:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.

2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.

3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .

4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)

5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Try2CLight
Member # 11738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Try2CLight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Hijab isn't from the pillars.
Posts: 903 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no- its not.

My personal take is that these 5 "pillars" are the most essential parts of islam. There are ofcourse many other commands in islam, but for example, i would think itd be silly to wear hijab is you werent praying regularly or if you didnt fast during ramadan.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But would you find it silly or even sinful NOT to be wearing hijab if you ARE praying regularly and/or fasting during Ramadan?
Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

yes, i would. when the quran tells muslims to do something, and they dont do it- thats a sin.
Hibbah
Member # 12156

and b/c i know the hijab argument is about to pop up:

the quran tells women to wear a khimar- definition of the khimar according to classical arabic (arabic used in the quran) is a head covering. please refer to my post about khimar.

the fact that the term "hijab" is not used in the quran does not matter. hijab is a colloquial term for the classical term khimar. if you dont like the word hijab, call is khimar. knock yourself out. call is a snood if you want to. [Smile]

look, in all honestly i used to be confused about the issue. why? b/c i read the english translation of the quran. so i didnt see where people were getting a "hijab" from- b/c the english translation most often says nothing about a head covering. the fact that the actual arabic word used is "khimar" changes everything. the fact that i can look up that definition in a classical arabic dictionary and it says " a head covering" debunks any argument against the hijab.

u r nutz
Member # 12675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for u r nutz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U R SO DAMN THICK HIBAH
AMERICA SHOULD THROW U OUT [Mad] FANATIC PEA BRAIN

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
and b/c i know the hijab argument is about to pop up:

the quran tells women to wear a khimar- definition of the khimar according to classical arabic (arabic used in the quran) is a head covering. please refer to my post about khimar.

the fact that the term "hijab" is not used in the quran does not matter. hijab is a colloquial term for the classical term khimar. if you dont like the word hijab, call is khimar. knock yourself out. call is a snood if you want to. [Smile]

look, in all honestly i used to be confused about the issue. why? b/c i read the english translation of the quran. so i didnt see where people were getting a "hijab" from- b/c the english translation most often says nothing about a head covering. the fact that the actual arabic word used is "khimar" changes everything. the fact that i can look up that definition in a classical arabic dictionary and it says " a head covering" debunks any argument against the hijab.

I don't buy it. I saw this debate years ago and saw other offered up terms for the "classial Arabic" definition of Khimar, and it was NOT headscarf...ahh..bullshit...it was "cover" or "cloth" and had many different connotations. Doesn't say "cover your hair", cover your hair cover your hair, cover your hair"...I wouldn't be surprised if Arabs didn't go in and most recently change the "classical" definition to read headscarf since they have been challenged on this issue...
Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humanist:
I saw this debate years ago and saw other offered up terms for the "classial Arabic" definition of Khimar

u reveal urself [Wink]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:

the quran tells women to wear a khimar-

no it does not. Tell me where it TELLS you to wear it.

telling you to USE it to COVER another part is not telling you to wear it, its telling you to cover that part that it TELLS you to cover.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

i just saw this.

it does tell women to wear khimar- a KHIMAR IS A HEAD COVERING. SOMEBODY SHOOT ME!

the freakin ENGLISH TRANSLATION DOESNT WORK! the word used is the plural for khimar- a khimar goes on your damn head!

I swear to God- if any of you freaks who deny hijab can come up with a classical defintion of the arabic word used in the quran to mean anything but a piece of cloth that IS USED FOR COVERING WOMENS HAIR I will cut my hair off and donate it to locks of love.

UNTIL YOU CAN- SHUT THE HELL UP. you have no evidence whatsoever to prove me wrong. you just keep showing the same translations in english which dont mean anything. I've shown a definiton from FUSHA ARABIC- AKA CLASSICAL ARABIC- AKA ARABIC IN THE QURAN THAT MEANS IT IS A HEAD COVERING. I'VE USED AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNIZED ACADEMIC SOURCE. if one more person pulls up some b.s. from wikipedia im going to have a heart attack.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE SHOWN NOTHING EXCEPT SOME LAME EXCUSE OF "HE SAID, SHE SAID KHIMAR MEANS THAT IN TODAYS SOCIETY".

IT MEANT THAT BACK THEN TOO! if it didnt, PROVE IT.

GOOD God what people will say to themselves to justify their own nafs.

Hibbah
Member # 12156

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
4 Icon 1 posted 04 March, 2007 08:01 AM Profile for Ayisha Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Volume 4, Book 54, Number 538:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that."

In other ahadith this is an Isreali prostitute which shows ALL women wore these head coverings anyway as a cultural dress, it was the norm.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

the verse clearly is about using this head cover to cover the bosom its not saying you have to wear a head cover, its saying you have to cover the bosom.

this is the last time im doing this- God give me baraka for it.

Ayisha- the word "veil" in your definition- is the word khimar. the word khimar is an article of clothing used to cover ones head. the english word veil- can mean many things. its the word the translator chose to use. people translate niqab as veil. people translate hijab as veil.

SO- take an arabic/english quran. look up the verse, put it in front of you. find the word veil, and then find the corresponding arabic word. ask someone to help you if you need to. find a dictionary on classical arabic, or find a linguist, or find a historian. find whoever. and then find out for yourself.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does anyone have to speak the classical arabic of hundred of years ago to have an opinion? Scholars of note have argued both cases and published respected works on the subject. Muslims have different views on this. What is the big deal here? Those muslim women who feel that it is an obligation to wear hijab can do so, in most countries, with the exception of institutional or work requirements. The only wrong would be to force women who disagree to wear hijab. Let God decide which 'side' was right. Are there no more important moral matters for the world to deal with?
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com