EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Manners for visiting a Mosque

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manners for visiting a Mosque
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several Egyptian men and women, both Muslims and Christians told me that non-muslim women should not cover our heads when visiting a mosque. (which is open to tourists to visit) and others told us we should. At the mosque I think the difference was that if we covered our heads we were allowed into the women's prayer area after prayer and if we hadn't we might have had to stay at the door. We took off our shoes of course and were respectful in other ways but is there an official rule?
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi zaphirelee!

There are no specific rules about how non-Muslims should dress in a mosque, so the advice you are being given is based on what different people think is respectful.

You could be asked to dress in different ways when you visit different mosques, so I would suggest - to avoid being caught out - that it would be wise to wear loose clothing with long sleeves and either a long skirt or trousers/pants, and have a scarf in your bag in case you are asked to wear one.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOSQUES R NOT FOR TOURISM

EVEN IF THE IDIOT IN MY COUNTRY ALLOW IT, IT IS NOT FOR TOURISM

SLAAM

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, non-stop, righteous machine:

SLAAM

[Frown]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin No More:
quote:

SLAAM

[Frown]
Don’t sweat it Snoozin most Egyptians are more than happy to welcome you into Mosques. One would think most Muslims would be happy to see tourists visiting Mosques especially in this political climate.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a wonderful jester, to want to visit a Mosque, for a non-muslim. While i was in Egypt, i saw more tourist than muslims at Al-Hussain Mosque. I took pictures, and the first thing my daughter said was, why aren't theses women covered in the mosque? i explain to her that the were not muslim, they were tourist.

The only think that was mandatory is to remove your shoes.

KD

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

SLAAM

Although I agree that it is inappropriate for tourists to be taken for trips around mosques during prayer time - people who are praying to Allah are not monkeys in a zoo to be watched, photographed, and disturbed while they are in worship - I don't agree that people shouldn't be allowed to visit a mosque at other times. If people act respectfully and are interested in learning about Islam and Islamic heritage, this can be a great way that we can use to help lower the barriers and encourage people to be better informed about the religion.

It could also be a good source of income to renovate old mosques if it is done on an organized way, and one fixed amount requested "for the restoration and upkeep of the mosque".

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only concern that, any one to enter a ny mosque he should be on a TAHARA, in english , he should be washed for prayer. And you never know, some one can be struck by the light in his heart and become an addicted to that Divine light.. I am already addicted to it.
Posts: 125 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Mer:
The only concern that, any one to enter a ny mosque he should be on a TAHARA, in english , he should be washed for prayer. And you never know, some one can be struck by the light in his heart and become an addicted to that Divine light.. I am already addicted to it.

I beg to differ with you on this point as Muslim women are permitted to enter a mosque even if they are menstruating, although they may not pray at that time. There is no specific ruling, as far as I know, that you must be in a purified state to enter a mosque, the purification is to be done for prayer. If I am mistaken, please give me the evidence based on the Qur'an or Sunnah that says otherwise.
Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too deep in that, but why should a menstruating woman go to the mosque??

And when I was saying TAHARA it was as you best expressed PURIFIED STATE, which mean you should be ready to be exposed to this experience of going inside ALLAH house.

Posts: 125 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:

And when I was saying TAHARA it was as you best expressed PURIFIED STATE, which mean you should be ready to be exposed to this experience of going inside ALLAH house.

These links might be of use to you and also a useful contribution to the question asked in this thread: http://islamtoday.net/english/showme2.cfm?cat_id=2&sub_cat_id=791
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=981&main_cat_id=26
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543870

Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
Thanks,
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I still have to bring my children to the mosque. Shall I wait in the car? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
I have no authority or knowledge to say one word, please reffer to mosques Immam for the right answer. Sorry about that.
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question:
What is the ruling on non-Muslims entering the mosque?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The correct view is that it is permissible if it serves the interests of sharee’ah or meet a valid need, such as a person hearing something that may invite him to enter Islam, or because he needs to drink water in the mosque, or the like. This is because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) tied up (his prisoner) Thamaamah ibn Athaal al-Hanafi in the mosque before he became Muslim, and the delegations of Thaqeef and the Christians of Najraan stayed in the mosque before they became Muslim. There were many benefits offered by doing this: they could hear the speeches and sermons of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), see people praying and reciting Qur’aan, and other benefits that are gained by those who visit the mosque. (From Fatawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 6/276).

If some kuffaar ask to enter the mosque so that they can see how Muslims pray, so long as they have nothing with them that could make the mosque dirty, and there are no women among them who are dressed in a provocative fashion, or any other reason not to let them in, then there is nothing wrong with allowing them to enter and sit behind the Muslims so they can see how they pray. If we fear that there is someone who may rebuke them (for not praying etc.) without realizing that they are not Muslim, we should point this out to them
And Allaah knows best.
Islamqa.com

Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Question:
Do the clothes worn by a mestruating woman need to be washed even if they are not stained by the menstrual blood? Once her periods have finished, can a woman perform salat with the clothes that she wore while menstruating without washing them if they were not stained with the blood?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

So long as the clothes she is wearing do not contain any najaasah (impure substance), she is permitted to pray in them, even if she was wearing them during her monthly period. The menstruating woman herself is not naajis, neither is her sweat. The Jews used to think this, but Allaah stated that this was a lie, as is reported in the saheeh hadeeth narrated by Muslim (may Allaah have mercy on him) from Anas:

"When one of their women menstruated, the Jews would not eat with her or sit with her in their houses. The Companions of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) asked the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) about this, and Allaah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning): ‘They ask you about menstruation. Say: That is an adhaa (a harmful thing for a husband to have intercourse with his wife while she is having her menses), therefore keep away from women during menses and go not unto them till they have purified (from menses and taken a bath)…’ [al-Baqarah 2:222].

The Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: ‘Do everything except have intercourse.’ Word of this reached the Jews and they said: ‘What does this man mean, in every issue he differs from us!’" (Saheeh Muslim, 455).

If the clothes get some menstrual blood on them, it is enough to remove the impurity with water and then she can pray in them. And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just'can't believe how someone would mention Islam the last religion (the best for that matter) and come up with oldfashioned menstruationtaboos. If you want to live according to those rules it is your privilige but it is a bit too exotic in my view, and I don't believe someone would ask tourists if they have their period!:-) Now do they?
Where I live there are visitingmoments for mosques, I guess not on prayertime, and schoolchildren and whomever group will attend and be welcomed.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is actually insane for men to talk/write about menstruating women and their actions including visits to a Mosque. Such a discussion should be reserved for women because really it is a women issue.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
It is actually insane for men to talk/write about menstruating women and their actions including visits to a Mosque. Such a discussion should be reserved for women because really it is a women issue.

And you decided you had the right to make that recommendation because you are a...? [Big Grin]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:

And you decided you had the right to make that recommendation because you are a...? [Big Grin]
Because I actually studied Fiqh and I find it unnecessary and odd to have learned the types of menstruating blood, prolonged menstruation, et cetera. Most women would rather confide in other women when it comes to such a topic and I reached this conclusion by talking to female students.

It is my opinion am I allowed to express it?

newcomer
Member # 1056

Of course you are, as other men are also allowed to voice their opinions on the subject without being called insane [Big Grin] But as the issue of menstruation was raised in relation to ritual purity and its relationship to being in a mosque, it seemed to be relevant to the subject under discussion, especially as it was a woman who was asking about visiting mosques.

Maybe one day you will be able to share your knowledge of fiqh with your wife if she has questions on the subject, as many men do, and it won't seem quite so unnecessary then [Smile]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Of course you are, as other men are also allowed to voice their opinions on the subject without being called insane [Big Grin] But as the issue of menstruation was raised in relation to ritual purity and its relationship to being in a mosque, it seemed to be relevant to the subject under discussion, especially as it was a woman who was asking about visiting mosques.

Maybe one day you will be able to share your knowledge of fiqh with your wife if she has questions on the subject, as many men do, and it won't seem quite so unnecessary then [Smile]

It’s my desire to avoid negative engagement with members here but occasionally I act in haste with the typical in the mouth word (insane). What precipitated my reply is irrelevant now.

Have a nice day [Smile]

newcomer
Member # 1056

No problem, I was only teasing you anyway [Smile]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I don't believe someone would ask tourists if they have their period!:-) Now do they?

LOL!!! [Big Grin]

I remember the "menstruation" discussion where a member tried to convince me quite aggressively that I shouldn't touch the Qur'an while having my period. What's up with people like that? I don't understand why a man would give a single thought to what a stranger from a messageboard does or does not while having her period. That' seems bizarre and very obsessive to me ...
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh
Member # 10606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
I don't believe someone would ask tourists if they have their period!:-) Now do they?

LOL!!! [Big Grin]

I remember the "menstruation" discussion where a member tried to convince me quite aggressively that I shouldn't touch the Qur'an while having my period. What's up with people like that? I don't understand why a man would give a single thought to what a stranger from a messageboard does or does not while having her period. That' seems bizarre and very obsessive to me ...
[Roll Eyes]

I don't understand how was it alright for the prophet to receive the word of God in Aisha's lap
while she was in her period time and adds that it is the most blessed time to receive the word of God "her period" and then muslims now freek out in touching quraan or go to the mosque while period time, it's simply not fair [Smile]

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Josh:
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

LOL!!! [Big Grin]

[Roll Eyes]

I don't understand how was it alright for the prophet to receive the word of God in Aisha's lap
while she was in her period time and adds that it is the most blessed time to receive the word of God "her period" and then muslims now freek out in touching quraan or go to the mosque while period time, it's simply not fair [Smile]

The means of revelation (wahy) to Prophet Muhammad (saw) vary. The most notable authentic Hadith regarding an instance in which one of the methods of revelation (via Gabreel) didn’t materialize was attributed to a picture Ayisha (ra) had in her house.

Menstruation wasn’t mentioned hence it is of ignorance to even suggest a revelation is halted due to menstruation.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com