EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » UK: Muslim prisoners may sue over ham

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK: Muslim prisoners may sue over ham
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muslim prisoners may sue over ham

Last Updated: 12:12am BST 27/10/2007

Muslim prisoners are considering suing the authorities for £2 million after they were offered ham sandwiches to eat during the holy month of Ramadan.

The inmates at HMP Leeds, a category B local prison, claim that their human rights have been breached as a result.

However, the Prison Service, which yesterday confirmed the incident, said it was a mistake which was "corrected immediately".

It said Muslim prisoners had been given "inappropriate" menu cards for their packed lunches but denied that any had actually been given ham sandwiches.

A spokesman said: "Guidelines state that prisoners must have a diet which meets the requirements of their religion."

Islam forbids Muslims to eat ham and pork, and prisoners reportedly said the incident was made worse because it happened during Ramadan, which took place between Sept 13 and Oct 12.

Leeds Prison holds more than 1,200 male prisoners, of which more than 200 are Muslim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/27/nham127.xml

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another article on this case:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23418243-details/Muslim+prisoners+sue+for+millions+after+they+were+offered+ham+sandwiches/article.do

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A mistake is a mistake and unless it’s systematic then that’s all it is. Clearly seeking 2 million pounds is over doing it and this is how many countries are now. Sue – sue and sue.

It is ridiculous. The rationale that the situation was made worse because it occurred during Ramadan is faulty at best. Simple reason being that Allah (swt) overlooks any and all discrepancies that are out of our hands and out of our knowledge. This extends to 365 days a year and 24 hours a day. The motive is simply monetary and the Judge should read up on this fact when deciding this matter.

This is my opinion of course but if someone is going to claim religious grounds. Then the rebuke should focus on sound Islamic sources. Clearly the Quran states that we are not liable for what occurs that is out of our hands.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I really have seen everything- getting the correct sandwich qualifies as a human right. Sometimes I think these stories have to be made up because they are beyond absurd. But then I realize it's Islamania and know it's all too true.

I thought 'not offering' food was a violation of civil rights.

If I am reading this article correctly, the main complaint is that the prisoners were given a menu on which ham sandwiches were one of the options.

Are they saying the next time any Christian is in a restuaurant and they offer a 'wine list' we can sue for human rights violations?

What about the next time a Muslim or Jew are at the ballpark and the vendor is walking up and down the isle holloring 'hot dog, hot dog' and looks at the muslim.....can the muslim say 'no thank you' or is he now calling his attorney?

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:
Now I really have seen everything- getting the correct sandwich qualifies as a human right. Sometimes I think these stories have to be made up because they are beyond absurd. But then I realize it's Islamania and know it's all too true.

I thought 'not offering' food was a violation of civil rights.

If I am reading this article correctly, the main complaint is that the prisoners were given a menu on which ham sandwiches were one of the options.

Are they saying the next time any Christian is in a restuaurant and they offer a 'wine list' we can sue for human rights violations?

What about the next time a Muslim or Jew are at the ballpark and the vendor is walking up and down the isle holloring 'hot dog, hot dog' and looks at the muslim.....can the muslim say 'no thank you' or is he now calling his attorney?

Agreed.

I'm frikkin speechless.

It won't be long before we see headlines like:

"A pigeon crapped on the minoret of a mosque causing fury in the muslim world, an appropriate pigeon-fatwa has been issued."

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's merely desperate reactions to other things not being addressed. I find it ironic that SOME Muslims around the world are so intent on stomping and shouting when they feel the smallest injustice but never have the cajones to speak up when it happens to a member of any other religious group.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. Maybe I should try to sue those restaurants who tried serving me soup made of chicken stock despite the fact that I told them I'm a vegetarian.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyHairspray
Member # 14332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StickyHairspray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they need to look at the soles of there feet first how pathetic ..moaning and groaning so many think they are so supressed does my nut in .

--------------------
UNITED KINGDOM

Posts: 110 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are prisoners for a reason no matter the religion! A prison near me had one building block to be refurbished, so they still had to slop out. A prisoner took his case to the human rights court and got £2,500, so the rest had to get it to. Another prison insisted the warders addressed the prisoners by there name as in Mr Jones, Smith etc. Nevermind that the prisoners referred to the warders as screws or normally alot worse!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These stories make me MAD!

More and more people are becoming anti muslim because of stories like these in the uk. It has nothing to do with religion it is about money. These men have committed crimes but feel it is againest their human rights to be given a menu with a ham sandwich on it? Crazy!! Like the story were a women had some china pigs/piglets on her window sill and the police came to take them away because they offended a muslim family, the women had to go to court to get them back. Some people here in the uk beleive that all muslims think things like this, where in actual fact they don't. Stories like these make me mad because it just gives the anti-muslim brigade another point.

These prisoners should be fed bread and water then there wouldn't be a problem!!!!!

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're prisoners. They have nothing to do all day but sit around and think these things up.

There are soooo many prisoners, at least in the U.S., who sit and study the law and then file lawsuit after lawsuit. Part of the reason is that when their case comes up, it gets them a change of scenery -- out of their prison cell, on a bus, and then into a court room.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyHairspray
Member # 14332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StickyHairspray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ican recall one story of a daughter brought her mother a Winnie the pooh calender but every thing was fine until it came to the date with "Piglet on it "she sued you know she thought it was a insult to muslims who liked winnie the pooh .And she won the case and got over 10,000 if i can remember for stress and undue cause .
Here is one example ,
Sensitivity in the U.K.
"Novelty pig calendars and toys have been banned from a council office -- in case they offend Muslim staff. Workers in the benefits department at Dudley Council, West Midlands, were told to remove or cover up all pig-related items, including toys, porcelain figures, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet." ("Muslims win toy pigs ban", The Sun, recent undated; Mark Steyn, "Making a pig's ear of defending democracy", DailyTelegraph, Oct. 4; Bookworm Room, Oct. 4). And: "Prison staff have been told to stop wearing Cross of St George tiepins because they could be 'misinterpreted'' as a racist symbol. Anne Owers, the Chief Inspector of Prisons, was 'concerned'' to see a number of officers at Wakefield jail in Yorkshire wearing the tiepins, apparently in support of a cancer charity." The Cross of St. George is the English national flag. (Philip Johnston, "Prison bans Cross of St George tiepins", Daily Telegraph, Oct. 4).

Posted by Walter Olson at 12:18 AM | Permalink
Tell me where is me going wrong

--------------------
UNITED KINGDOM

Posts: 110 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:

These stories make me MAD!

More and more people are becoming anti muslim because of stories like these in the uk. It has nothing to do with religion it is about money. These men have committed crimes but feel it is againest their human rights to be given a menu with a ham sandwich on it? Crazy!! Like the story were a women had some china pigs/piglets on her window sill and the police came to take them away because they offended a muslim family, the women had to go to court to get them back. Some people here in the uk beleive that all muslims think things like this, where in actual fact they don't. Stories like these make me mad because it just gives the anti-muslim brigade another point.

These prisoners should be fed bread and water then there wouldn't be a problem!!!!!

It's about more than just money. It's about privileges and power! They are lucky they even get any food.

I hope they get beaten with frozen ham loaves or shanked with hardened bacon! LOL

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StickyHairspray:

I can recall one story of a daughter brought her mother a Winnie the pooh calender but every thing was fine until it came to the date with "Piglet on it "she sued you know she thought it was a insult to muslims who liked winnie the pooh .And she won the case and got over 10,000 if i can remember for stress and undue cause...

^ That makes no damn sense whatsoever! How can Muslims even like Winnie the pooh if they are insulted by Winnie's best friend, Piglet?!!

Thus the idiocy that we see here!!:

http://www.qatarliving.com/files/images/hello%20kids.preview.jpg

http://www.qatarliving.com/files/images/find%20piglet.preview.jpg

http://www.qatarliving.com/files/images/looking%20for%20piglet.preview.jpg

They might as well just ban Winnie the Pooh in its entirety. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com