EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Male gynaecologists attacked by extremists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Male gynaecologists attacked by extremists
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRAQ: Male gynaecologists attacked by extremists
Thursday 15 November 2007
Photo: IRIN
There are few women doctors, let alone gynaecologists, in Iraq

BAGHDAD, 13 November 2007 (IRIN) - Male gynaecologists are being targeted by Islamic extremists in Iraq as they are accused of invading the privacy of women. Women’s NGOs have raised concerns as there are few women gynaecologists in the country and their male counterparts are scared to continue working.

“Because of the extremists’ religious views, doctors are scared to continue with their work and the number of women gynaecologists is very low and cannot meet the demand,” said Mayada Zuhair, spokeswoman for the Women’ Rights Association (WRA).

“Extremists say that [male] doctors are not allowed to see the private parts of women and two male doctors were reportedly killed last week after leaving their clinics. A message was left near their bodies saying that was the end for any doctor who insists in invading the privacy of Muslim women,” Mayada added.

An Iraqi Medical Association (IMA) spokesman, Walid Rafi, told IRIN it knew of at least 22 male gynaecologists who had been sent threatening letters.

''Extremists say that [male] doctors are not allowed to see the private parts of women and two male doctors were reportedly killed last week after leaving their clinics.''
“In one case the extremists tried to carry out their threat. They kidnapped the son of a doctor and only released him after the doctor had closed his clinic in Karada district, in Baghdad,” Rafi said. “We are worried about women’s health in this country. Few of them have access to good medical care and now with the fear of male gynaecologists, few remain in the job and this could have a serious impact in the coming months.”

Rafi added that aggression against doctors who treat women had also been reported in the northern provinces. “We don’t know the exact number of doctors who have been killed but we can confirm that four doctors were killed in the north for refusing to circumcise young girls.”

Case in point

Yasser Issam, a gynaecologist in Baghdad, said that since 20 October there had been two attempts on his life and he had received a letter asking him to stop treating women in his clinic as he was offending the privacy of Muslim women.

“I didn’t have a choice. I preferred to leave my job altogether with two other colleagues who were in the same situation. We left the clinic in the hands of two female colleagues who later said they could not cope with the demand and have started to turn down patients,” Issam said.

The Ministry of Health has said it is investigating the cases and has asked the Ministry of Interior to protect doctors and nurses countrywide.

Heath services in Iraq have been seriously undermined by the shortage of doctors. According to the IMA, at least 75 percent of doctors, pharmacists and nurses have left their jobs at universities, clinics and hospitals. Of these, at least 55 percent have fled abroad.

“There are days when we find more than 80 patients per doctor in our hospital, an average of 170 daily. All of them are divided among the two women gynaecologists who are left in our clinic,” said Afaf Abdul-Qahar, a gynaecologist at Karada Maternity Centre, in the capital.

http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?ReportID=75275

Dear Mr. Bush:

I need reminding. Why did you get rid of Sadam?

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point but the blame lies with the extremist mentality in the first place. When are the people of the Muslim world going to say to their own who try to oppress them...enough is enough?
Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:
IRAQ: Male gynaecologists attacked by extremists
Thursday 15 November 2007
Photo: IRIN
There are few women doctors, let alone gynaecologists, in Iraq

BAGHDAD, 13 November 2007 (IRIN) - Male gynaecologists are being targeted by Islamic extremists in Iraq as they are accused of invading the privacy of women. Women’s NGOs have raised concerns as there are few women gynaecologists in the country and their male counterparts are scared to continue working.

“Because of the extremists’ religious views, doctors are scared to continue with their work and the number of women gynaecologists is very low and cannot meet the demand,” said Mayada Zuhair, spokeswoman for the Women’ Rights Association (WRA).

“Extremists say that [male] doctors are not allowed to see the private parts of women and two male doctors were reportedly killed last week after leaving their clinics. A message was left near their bodies saying that was the end for any doctor who insists in invading the privacy of Muslim women,” Mayada added.

An Iraqi Medical Association (IMA) spokesman, Walid Rafi, told IRIN it knew of at least 22 male gynaecologists who had been sent threatening letters.

''Extremists say that [male] doctors are not allowed to see the private parts of women and two male doctors were reportedly killed last week after leaving their clinics.''
“In one case the extremists tried to carry out their threat. They kidnapped the son of a doctor and only released him after the doctor had closed his clinic in Karada district, in Baghdad,” Rafi said. “We are worried about women’s health in this country. Few of them have access to good medical care and now with the fear of male gynaecologists, few remain in the job and this could have a serious impact in the coming months.”

Rafi added that aggression against doctors who treat women had also been reported in the northern provinces. “We don’t know the exact number of doctors who have been killed but we can confirm that four doctors were killed in the north for refusing to circumcise young girls.”

Case in point

Yasser Issam, a gynaecologist in Baghdad, said that since 20 October there had been two attempts on his life and he had received a letter asking him to stop treating women in his clinic as he was offending the privacy of Muslim women.

“I didn’t have a choice. I preferred to leave my job altogether with two other colleagues who were in the same situation. We left the clinic in the hands of two female colleagues who later said they could not cope with the demand and have started to turn down patients,” Issam said.

The Ministry of Health has said it is investigating the cases and has asked the Ministry of Interior to protect doctors and nurses countrywide.

Heath services in Iraq have been seriously undermined by the shortage of doctors. According to the IMA, at least 75 percent of doctors, pharmacists and nurses have left their jobs at universities, clinics and hospitals. Of these, at least 55 percent have fled abroad.

“There are days when we find more than 80 patients per doctor in our hospital, an average of 170 daily. All of them are divided among the two women gynaecologists who are left in our clinic,” said Afaf Abdul-Qahar, a gynaecologist at Karada Maternity Centre, in the capital.

http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?ReportID=75275

Dear Mr. Bush:

quote:
Because Americans like the member who posted before me are in denial. Extremism did not exist in Iraq before the American invasion. The same way that total criminal chaos does not exist in America because of the law agencies. You take that out and see what you get.
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me get this right:

1. Only female doctors can treat Muslimas.

2. Women are not allowed to work (See what the Taliban did to the female reportrs)

How then, will the female muslim women get treatment if there's no one to treat them? [Confused]

The convoluted thinking of extremists never ceases to amaze.

Are these extremists JUST a little too preoccupied with sex?

Maybe they're running out of targets?

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humanist:
I see your point but the blame lies with the extremist mentality in the first place. When are the people of the Muslim world going to say to their own who try to oppress them...enough is enough?

Like do what?
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let me get this right:

2. Women are not allowed to work (See what the Taliban did to the female reportrs)

How then, will the female muslim women get treatment if there's no one to treat them? [Confused]

That's not even extremism, that is ignorance!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let me get this right:

Are these extremists JUST a little too preoccupied with sex?

Maybe they're running out of targets?

Let's correct some of the misconceptions, I don't know about Iraq, but I can tell you about muslim women in Egypt.
1. They prefer male gynecologists and surgeons to women. I wish the opposite were true, but unfortunately its not--even when it's a very skilled female gynecologist or surgeon. This includes women who wear niqab.

2. Women have been stunted career wise, as are men in Egypt. The both don't seem to work, see the current state of anything right now there.

3. Women in the US prefer female gynecologists to male.

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not Islam! Unbeliever telling the professional doctors they cannot and should not treat women.

RESULT:
No care for women. At best substandard care, and it is the women who again suffers in the end.
The Middle Ages are long gone but it still resides in the minds and thoughts of these extremist thugs!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the US. I perfer a male gyn.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
I am in the US. I perfer a male gyn.

Me too.
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I understand there's room for personal preference (alchemist and Of_gold), on average it's different. In most services (in the US, and especially in the Northeast) there is usually higher demand on the female gynecologists than the men.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumicrazieluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always had a male gyn. He delivered all 3 of my children. Most women I know have also had a male gyn.
Posts: 1121 | From: Too crazy to look at a freakin map to find out.. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
have and preference are different? demand on average and individual preference are also different?
i'm sure there are plenty of women in the US that prefer male gynecologists that doesn't translate to who the demand is higher for.

everyone is free to believe what they want based on their experiences. I am not speaking about myself, my colleagues, or friends. Even despite the change in the face of gynecologists in the past 5 years, the demand is still not different in certain parts of the country.

but based on the conclusions of this forum, then egyptian muslim women and american women think alike. one less difference to call them backwards about. (kidding)

but that's very interesting, why do you (the 3 women above) prefer a male to a female gynecologist?

joueur ( Hocus Pocus)
Member # 14353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joueur ( Hocus Pocus)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So american women do not trust female gynecologists? Poor Christina she is an American female Gynacologist [Frown]
Posts: 338 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the demand is higher because there are fewer female gyn's. I had one friend who prefered a female.

I really can't answer why I prefer male, I just do.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only my first child was delivered by a male doctor, i insisted on having a female gyn after that. My doctors have been female ever since. I feel more comfortable in having a female in that she can understand exactly what i am feeling, there is no chance that she is going to have any type of sexual thought, and i can put my mind in a frame to think of her as a sister or something similar, a person you would share intimate details with easily. I never feel i am being judged
I had the male gyn the first time, i never felt i could talk to him about any issues that i had, and cant stand being undressed in front of a man that i am not intimate with. The thought of what is he thinking of always came to mind.
Just my personal view of it.
I dont think anyone should be killed over it for sure, women are alot of times not allowed to work in various countries and that leaves only the choice of male doctors. So unless they want to allow women to work, they need to accept this.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved my male doctor he was the best. just my opinion and he was there for me to the end what a great doctor and he was from Africa
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that I have a specific preference to male doctors. The majority of the doctors in my life have been male and so, I feel more secure with them based upon these experiences.
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ This is pathetic!! The country has a low number of doctors no doubt due to sexist reasons, and now they attack male gynecologists for "invading" women's privacy!

That is why I believe no more females should be born in such countries. Let the female population reach zero, so the crazed Islamic male extremists will go crazy and start raping and killing each other! [Embarrassed]

Posts: 26351 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joueur ( Hocus Pocus)
Member # 14353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joueur ( Hocus Pocus)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we have 4 female women in USA prefer male doctors. there must be a psychological sexist discrimination upon female doctor in US. [Wink]
No wonder females abuse their own gender as they do not trust their gender to understand their female structure and mechanism.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
Originally posted by joueur:
Here we have 4 female women in USA prefer male doctors. there must be a psychological sexist discrimination upon female doctor in US. [Wink]
No wonder females abuse their own gender as they do not trust their gender to understand their female structure and mechanism.

What? [Confused]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:
I can tell you about muslim women in Egypt.
1. They prefer male gynecologists and surgeons to women. I wish the opposite were true, but unfortunately its not--even when it's a very skilled female gynecologist or surgeon. This includes women who wear niqab.

I noticed that too, and always found it extremely strange. I'm European and wouldn't ever go to a male gyn unless I was in an emergency. Why women who generally tend to feel more shy showing parts of their body to men than me prefer a male one remains a mystery to me.
[Confused]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joueur ( Hocus Pocus)
Member # 14353

Rate Member
not a mystery . This is the nature. Female knows in her brain ( she will never admit it [Wink] ) that a man is cleverer.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. And also, females don't get turned on when seeing a naked man.

I'm deeply impressed by the insight and intelligence of your contributions on this board, they always convey such a deep understanding of the physical and psychological nature of human beings. Masha'allah!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joueur ( Hocus Pocus)
Member # 14353

Rate Member
I have never stated that. [Roll Eyes] I said the degree is smaller. I was very accurate. Do you understand English ? [Roll Eyes]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you understand English ? [Roll Eyes]

This question is very amusing coming from someone who never writes more than a couple of sentences at most, yet doesn't manage to keep his posts free of mistakes.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Roo7 el3ab, ya Joueur. [Cool]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

4 female women....
Have you ever seen male women???
[Big Grin]
Any gyn should be able to understand the female structure and mechanism, but I can understand women should feel more comforable by a female gyn.
I've had both, and prefered the women...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joueur ( Hocus Pocus)
Member # 14353

Rate Member
Ha ha you are funny ya esmek eh.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ And how heck can a male doctor know more about female anatomy and physiology better than a female doctor??
Posts: 26351 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:
I can tell you about muslim women in Egypt.

I noticed that too, and always found it extremely strange. I'm European and wouldn't ever go to a male gyn unless I was in an emergency. Why women who generally tend to feel more shy showing parts of their body to men than me prefer a male one remains a mystery to me.
[Confused]

Yes, and that's what disappoints me about it Dalia*, that even when there are women who are superior (i'm not even saying comparable, but is better than her male counterparts) they will still prefer the male surgeon or gynecologist. And I guess this one of those things that is cross cultural, eventhough I'm pretty sure that the American women here who are saying they prefer a male are not the majority--this is true for women in the west as well with 'trusting' or preferring a male surgeon.

Perhaps what jouer is trying to say, is that he/she thinks women undermine one another? Which is pattern I'm starting to pick up on.

I think I can understand the stance of, being indifferent to the caretaker's gender/sex and if it's a male that you're comfortable with, then it's okay. But the preference for a male right off the bat, I'm just curious as to why? Is it the subconscious trust for men in such positions, but not women?

anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some women state that male gyn. are more gentle and careful in their "operations" - maybe it is this lack of knowledge about the female anatmony, i.e. not knowing exactly how it all feels to be a woman, that gives them an advantage, demands of them to be more considerate.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
thanks for the insight anthropos, i never thought of it that way.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
Some women state that male gyn. are more gentle and careful in their "operations" - maybe it is this lack of knowledge about the female anatmony, i.e. not knowing exactly how it all feels to be a woman, that gives them an advantage, demands of them to be more considerate.

I would support that in my experience. When I've seen a female gyn, they shove those cold metal implements up you with no regard for how it might feel. Male gyns without exception have run the metal things under the hot tap to warm it up first and been a bit more gentle about inserting it.
I don't know that would be, you would think the female gyns would have more consideration but they don't!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com