EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Amr Khaled is banned from preaching in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amr Khaled is banned from preaching in Egypt?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...In November of 2002, Khaled was banned from preaching in Egypt. He is now based in England, where he continues to broadcast his series over Arab Satellite..."

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/desertbeliefs/6703/

Is this correct? If so what's the story behind it?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
"...In November of 2002, Khaled was banned from preaching in Egypt. He is now based in England, where he continues to broadcast his series over Arab Satellite..."

Sometimes you really surprise me. I mean a quick google search would reveal tons of articles.

It is true and no one know for sure why they banned him.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An update about Amr Khaled

Khaled ran afoul of several powerful decision makers who resented his influence and he elected to leave the country for several years in 2002, first going to Beirut, then settling in England. He has only recently returned to Egypt to live full time

From Egypt Today - October 2007 article.

Who is he?

Amr Mohamed Helmi Khaled was born in Alexandria to an upper middle class family. He studied at Cairo University, graduating with a degree in accounting in 1988. Two years later, he gave his first unplanned religious lecture during a relative’s birthday party at the Shooting Club in Dokki. The audience was so impressed that he became a regular lecturer at the club’s mosque, and soon began lecturing in the homes of the upper class throughout the capital.

His popularity soared, and eventually he had to move to Al-Hosary mosque in Sixth of October, which accommodated up to 40,000 people. A lightning rod for critics of the nation’s growing religiosity, Khaled ran afoul of several powerful decision makers who resented his influence and he elected to leave the country for several years in 2002, first going to Beirut, then settling in England. He has only recently returned to Egypt to live full time Khaled ran afoul of several powerful decision makers who resented his influence and he elected to leave the country for several years in 2002, first going to Beirut, then settling in England. He has only recently returned to Egypt to live full time.

Khaled’s preaching style was novel when he first appeared on the scene. He is a charismatic, confident, dynamic speaker, who speaks in colloquial Arabic and is very appealing to youth. His Western garb and the energetic delivery of his lectures, accompanied by his passionate supplications, made him instantly stand out from his more monotonous, turban-clad, harshly bearded scholarly counterparts.

He is also —as his critics and supporters both agree — very influential. His supporters love his influence, and thousands of women put on the hijab (veil) after he praised it. His critics, on the other hand, have derided him as a “pied piper” who has too much influence over youth. The fact that Khaled shuns all labels and refuses to define what exactly he is — political activist, preacher, etc — makes him all the more worrisome to them.

Khaled is clear about one thing: He hopes to convince his followers that faith is the key to a moral, scientific, cultural and economic renaissance in the region. His first call was for a return to spirituality, then for a move toward faith-based development. Throughout, he preaches the benefits of hard work, good works and impeccable manners, urging youth to transform their lives and their communities.

His most popular shows include Life Makers, On the Path of the Beloved [Muhammad PBUH], In Your Name [Allah] We Live, and A Call for Coexistence. et

Watch Amr Khaled’s new show about the family “Paradise in Our Homes” at these times and channels: 3pm/2am on El-Rai 3pm/5am on Abu Dhabi 5pm/11pm on El-Mehwar 10pm/9:30am on El-Resala.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatik:
quote:

Sometimes you really surprise me. I mean a quick google search would reveal tons of articles.

It is true and no one know for sure why they banned him.

That what my point was. I couldn't define why he wasn't allowed to perform anymore. Still I don't know what exactly happened.

Obviously Al-Azhar played an important role why it came to the ban.

Now Almaz' article (thank you Almaz!) mentions he just recently returned back to Egypt. Was the ban taken off? Is he monitored closely? Where do tapings of his shows take place?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiger, the 'ban' was a rumor. Amr Khaled himself denied this rumor many times, in many interviews/talk shows; I heard him myself. He left to obtain his P.hd from London. He had already made arrangements before he was criticized by some newspapers, he said. When he obtained his P.hd, he just came back to Egypt. He used to tape from London while studying and living there with his family. Now, he tapes from Cairo, or other Arab countries when needed.
Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, Almaz, there must be a little grain of truth in all these rumors.

How is his relationship to the Grand Mufti?

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How is his relationship to the Grand Mufti?

They looked very close when they were on the reality show they did when they went to Hajj last year. Amr Khaled and Ali Gomaa were striding off together ahead of the group of people who had gone with them on their way to Muzdalifah.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amr khaled was banned because his preaching started to affect some students from the upper echelon of Egyptian society students from the AUC to 6th of October University. Muslim chicks from secular families started coming home wearing head coverings which brought the attention of their families hence the attention of authorities – he was asked to stop – he didn’t and he was subsequently banned from preaching and this was around 2001/2002.
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Amr who heard his story about an English school kid selling chocolate door to door (in London) – that particular story made me an Amr Khalid skeptic.
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
Amr khaled was banned because his preaching started to affect some students from the upper echelon of Egyptian society students from the AUC to 6th of October University. Muslim chicks from secular families started coming home wearing head coverings which brought the attention of their families hence the attention of authorities – he was asked to stop – he didn’t and he was subsequently banned from preaching and this was around 2001/2002.

Hearing that Amr Khaled and Mufti Gomah are close (or has been mentioned) does that make Amr Khaled a puppet of President Hosni Mubarak "SOB" (sorry I mean Exile)?
Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Somewhere in the sands:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:

Hearing that Amr Khaled and Mufti Gomah are close (or has been mentioned) does that make Amr Khaled a puppet of President Hosni Mubarak "SOB" (sorry I mean Exile)?
You expect me to answer you after you just insulted me … you brought up the entire ‘SOB’ thing an now you are using it – you are too rude.
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It don't look like a question to me, nu uh.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com