EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Abortion for financial reasons is permissible, says Azhar Sheikh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion for financial reasons is permissible, says Azhar Sheikh
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abortion for financial reasons is permissible, says Azhar Sheikh

By Yasmine Saleh
First Published: November 25, 2007

CAIRO: A mother of three, 35-year-old Maha (not her real name) was shocked when she found out she was three months pregnant. Poor and desperate, she knew that her only way out of this crisis was an abortion.

“I begged a relative of mine to help me have an abortion,” she told Daily News Egypt.

A few weeks later, her relative books her a room in one of Egypt’s top private hospitals, where she was falsely admitted for surgery to have her appendix removed, but actually had the abortion.

That was 10 years ago, and despite the fact that Maha’s financial situation has improved tremendously since her husband got a job in Dubai, she doesn’t regret the abortion and believes that if she were to go back in time, she would make the same decision.

Although abortion is illegal in Egypt according to the Penal Code section 260 — which prohibits it under any circumstances — the procedure is often undertaken in big hospitals illegally.

According to Sheikh Mahmoud Ashour, member of the Islamic Research Center, “abortion is not permissible according to Islam, except in emergency cases.”

Ashour told Daily News Egypt abortion is permitted if the pregnancy is a threat to the mother’s life, or if there is strong medical evidence indicating that the baby could be physically or mentally disabled.

When asked if dire financial circumstances are considered an emergency, Ashour said that it was, “as long as the family suffers economic burdens and will not be able to provide for the newborn.”

If the baby will make the family suffer in any way, he added, then having an abortion is acceptable as long as it is done during the first 120 days of pregnancy.

Last week, Daily News Egypt reported that MP Mohamed Khalil Kwaitah filed a motion to the PA requesting legalizing abortion for rape victims who are no more than four months pregnant.

Ashour agrees with Kwaitah’s request, emphasizing that rape is one of the top cases where exceptions to the general rule must be accommodated.

However Dr. Abdel Rahman Shahin, media spokesman at the Ministry of Health, told Daily News Egypt that the Ministry of Health was not aware of Kwaitah’s request.

“As far as I know abortion under any circumstances is banned by Egyptian law, but exceptions to the rule should be granted by religious scholars not by any other authority,” Shahin said.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=10484

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow no way. where is the drop my jaw smiley? i'm not by any means prolife/pro-abortion/etc, everything is a case by case basis (which I don't think any government should get involved in)--but what about that verse somewhere about don't kill your children out of poverty. interesting how everyone has there own take on things, nice to know.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats BS....it even says in the Quran itself that you should not kill your unborn children for fear of want, because Allah will provide for both of you. WTF kind of shiekh is this? its murder no matter how you look at it. fetuses have a heartbeat within 1 weeek of conception. my egyptian ex pulled this sh*t with me...he forced me to have an abortion cuz he was too damn greedy to pay for a kid. it ruined our marriage...i grew an extreme hatred for him and now, he is a loser with no money and i have my own funds.
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HALPUSA
Member # 14411

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HALPUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really believe that women must be free to choose for their own bodies, to have an abortion or not, and to be supported for their decisions.
Posts: 15 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believ if a woman is raped she can get an abortion or their lives are at stake other then that women who have unnecessary abortions will go to hellllllllllllll

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am waiting to here from Dalia, Ayisha, and Almaz and get their free-thinking and civilized opinions.

--------------------
'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و سلم) took hold of my shoulder and said, "Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveller."

Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HALPUSA:
I really believe that women must be free to choose for their own bodies, to have an abortion or not, and to be supported for their decisions.

I agree with you.

But although I am not religious I would only in very rare circumstances agree on abortion. All life is precious.

We do have support programs for pregnant women with low income in my country but I don't know what it's like to be poor in a developing country. I think I would have to walk in the shoes of someone so poor to understand the decision. I am sure it's not done because they don't want kids rather it's done out of pure desperation as the child would suffer because the parents would hardly be able to provide the basic needs. Still it must be devastating to decide to end a pregnancy....

I hope Egypt keeps up educating it's people on family planning so less couples will get into a situation where they are expecting a child but really don't have the means to properly provide for it.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Somewhere in the sands:
I am waiting to here from Dalia, Ayisha, and Almaz and get their free-thinking and civilized opinions.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of this one ...

Mufti endorses abortion for "children of sin"

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Reminds me of this one ...

Mufti endorses abortion for "children of sin"

[Confused]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go sands, my free thinking opinion and civilized mind agrees with these:

YUSUFALI: Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.

YUSUFALI: Allah doth know what every female (womb) doth bear, by how much the wombs fall short (of their time or number) or do exceed. Every single thing is before His sight, in (due) proportion.

YUSUFALI: Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you. Verily the killing of them is a great sin.

YUSUFALI: To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment: He knows all): No date-fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb) nor bring forth the Day that (Allah) will propound to them the (question), "Where are the partners (ye attributed to Me?" They will say, "We do assure thee not one of us can bear witness!"

YUSUFALI: O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing whatever with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication), that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood, and that they will not disobey thee in any just matter,- then do thou receive their fealty, and pray to Allah for the forgiveness (of their sins): for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Here you go sands, my free thinking opinion and civilized mind agrees with these:

YUSUFALI: Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.

YUSUFALI: Allah doth know what every female (womb) doth bear, by how much the wombs fall short (of their time or number) or do exceed. Every single thing is before His sight, in (due) proportion.

YUSUFALI: Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you. Verily the killing of them is a great sin.

YUSUFALI: To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment: He knows all): No date-fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb) nor bring forth the Day that (Allah) will propound to them the (question), "Where are the partners (ye attributed to Me?" They will say, "We do assure thee not one of us can bear witness!"

YUSUFALI: O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing whatever with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication), that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood, and that they will not disobey thee in any just matter,- then do thou receive their fealty, and pray to Allah for the forgiveness (of their sins): for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Please don't take any credit for being civilized..that comment was for Almaz..LOL
Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Ayisha is actually a good woman - keep that in mind Sands
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
^Ayisha is actually a good woman - keep that in mind Sands

Yes, you're right. Thanks. It's not her gender that is in question.
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my response wasn't civilized or freethinking, as islam is?j/k i'm not asking for a snide remark. i think this article is just an example of how diverse muslims can be in their view of things and that there isn't an absolute on everything.

PAL: While I'm not sure I fully understand it, but I think something about an abortion changes a woman, like it's a major life event--that I think I've heard often how it is a relationship breaker. I'm sorry for your loss.

HALPUSA: It's a woman's right to have one or not have one at all, and you're right everyone should make the decision that they see fit for their situation. I've been surprised to see people ostracize a woman for NOT having one, in Egypt.

Contraceptive methods are available, abundant and cheap TL...it's just getting them to go for regular, accessible healthcare in locations that are convenient. Sometimes the ones available are not the best options, with certain health issues that are extremely high.

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is adoption not an option?????? To kill a child because you fear you cannot afford it or even due to rape?? That's unbelievable. Is this the same guy who said that a man and a woman can work together if he breastfeeds from the woman? [Confused]
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com