EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Reciting Suratul Kahf on Fridays (Yawmul Jumuah

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reciting Suratul Kahf on Fridays (Yawmul Jumuah
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Hakim recorded from Abu Sa'id (RA) that the Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam said (translated):

"Whoever recites Suratul Kahf on Friday, it will illuminte him with light from one Friday to the next."

Al Hafiz Abul Bakr Al Bayhaqi (RA)in his sunan from Al Hakim with his own chain that the Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam said (translated):

"Whoever recites Suratul Kahf as it was revealed, it will be a light for him on the Day of Resurrection."

In Allah lies the Tawfiq (Success).

Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so doing that every friday keeps you illuminated in light all week while you slander Allah's Prophets and ES members every other day does it?

No wonder I love this religion, you can basically do and say as you like, there is always a hadith to make you think you are 'guided by the light'

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
so doing that every friday keeps you illuminated in light all week while you slander Allah's Prophets and ES members every other day does it?

No wonder I love this religion, you can basically do and say as you like, there is always a hadith to make you think you are 'guided by the light'

Shaitan is influencing you strongly today eh, Ayisha. You can disagree with Sands but to constantly detract and ruin decent and good threads such as the Merits of reciting Surah al-Kaf on Friday displays your contempt of Islam. How many Muslims have you attacked before Sands – let me see: Shisha + Alarmy + Hibbah and now Sands.

Remember Shisha and Alarmy as you and your ilk drove them from EM. Remember Hibbah as she was the reason I rejoined ES. And you have the nerve to speak about Slander of Prophets. You defended the scriptures and your own words were ‘I see no reason to not believe it if its in God's Book(Torah).’ about Prophet Lut and his daughters committing Incest.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jazaakum Allahu Khairan Akhee fid deenilahi Ya Exile for your naseehah. Inshaa Allah Sands isn't going away from ES. Inshaa Allah I plan on contributing more in a posive manner bi'itnillah and move away from meaningliess debates inshaa Allah.

You are right the reason for the post was only to remind me (first)and then all of my brothers and sisters the merits of a Blessed Surat.

A good friend of mine name Muhammad Esa (from Jordan) once told me and reminded me of a saying which I later found out was an ayat from the Quran what translates as: "Allah does not fight evil with evil, He fights it with good."

So we will inshaa Allah try to spread the Khair, Hikmat and Rahmat of Allah Azza wa Jal.

Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
consistantly detract and ruin decent and good threads? I have lost count of the number of decent and good threads sands and his ilk have ruined.

Contempt for Islam, No, contempt for Muslims, its serioulsy getting that way with having to deal with the double standards you and your ilk dish out daily!

FYI, I did not attack shisha, alarmy or hibbah. Shisha attacked everyone in EM who didnt agree with her sick version of Islam, just like dear blessed sands does. As for hibbah, I didnt attack her either until she attacked ME. She hounded me as I remember especially in a hijab topic, trying to force hijab 'command' on me when it turns out I DO wear it and she DIDNT and she was posting pics of herself here without it! Double standards Exiled, sands and his ilk are based on it. Alarmy I dont remember any arguement with her.

As for the hate filled new spam of sands on the Prophets, double standards yet again! All that almost 4000 years ago is unbelieveable, but give it 2500 years later and its admirable for a prophet to sleep with a 6 year old! Double standards Exiled, even when I spoke up against that idea I was slammed down as it was FACT as hadith said so!

I have LML hounding me round the threads, making snide comments about how I pray while at the same time backs up sands with God has hands face eyes and fingers! So if I had said I pray imagining I am on Gods hand hanging on to His fingers wile looking into His face and He is looking at me would that be ok with her?? NO of course not because its me personally she has a problem with. She hounds ME while admitting she says NOTHING to you about alcohol. Double standards!!

Now saint sands has been to Mosque and become all holy again? Really with 'peers' like you lot its no wonder people reject Islam, they are not strong enough to see the vast differences between Islam and Muslims!

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
consistantly detract and ruin decent and good threads? I have lost count of the number of decent and good threads sands and his ilk have ruined.

Contempt for Islam, No, contempt for Muslims, its serioulsy getting that way with having to deal with the double standards you and your ilk dish out daily!

FYI, I did not attack shisha, alarmy or hibbah. Shisha attacked everyone in EM who didnt agree with her sick version of Islam, just like dear blessed sands does. As for hibbah, I didnt attack her either until she attacked ME. She hounded me as I remember especially in a hijab topic, trying to force hijab 'command' on me when it turns out I DO wear it and she DIDNT and she was posting pics of herself here without it! Double standards Exiled, sands and his ilk are based on it. Alarmy I dont remember any arguement with her.

As for the hate filled new spam of sands on the Prophets, double standards yet again! All that almost 4000 years ago is unbelieveable, but give it 2500 years later and its admirable for a prophet to sleep with a 6 year old! Double standards Exiled, even when I spoke up against that idea I was slammed down as it was FACT as hadith said so!

I have LML hounding me round the threads, making snide comments about how I pray while at the same time backs up sands with God has hands face eyes and fingers! So if I had said I pray imagining I am on Gods hand hanging on to His fingers wile looking into His face and He is looking at me would that be ok with her?? NO of course not because its me personally she has a problem with. She hounds ME while admitting she says NOTHING to you about alcohol. Double standards!!

Now saint sands has been to Mosque and become all holy again? Really with 'peers' like you lot its no wonder people reject Islam, they are not strong enough to see the vast differences between Islam and Muslims!

You know something Ayisha everyone has their side of the story and in your story: you are innocent and a victim.

LML i really don't know her story and i really don't know who or what started what hence my reason for not mentioning her.

Anyway Sands just wrote in a post prior to yours and Insha Allah he keeps his word about refraining from meaningless discourse.

Now if you cease ruining Muslim threads with your pettiness we might very well accomplish something we haven’t done in a long while and that is peace.

Anyway have a lovely Friday.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Yes exiled I am a victim. Sands and his ilk have slandered me repeatedly and now sands is 'holy' again we all have to shut up?

LML I dont know her story either or why she has chosen me as someone to slander and hound, why dont you go LOOK and see what happened in the thread and let me know when you find what I did to her. You didnt mention LML as that is happening NOW and not ages ago or in other boards and if you open your blind eye you will see it was HER that has attacked ME. I was not the attacker, as I was not the attacker with Hibbah or shisha, I defended myself which is seen as attacks to you as you see it as an attack when I defend myself towards anyone here.

I have not ruined any 'Muslim' threads Exiled, but your double standards wont see that way. This is a public board, it is not for Muslims only and it is not for Muslim threads only, nor does it say only Muslims can respond in any thread.

This POST is not an attack on YOU Exiled, its DEFENSE against all the attacks I have had, and you tell ME to stop ruining threads with pettiness?

have a wonderful Friday and may your week be blessed with Truth.

--------------------

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Imam Ahmad (May Allah have Mercy upon him) recorded from Abu Ad Darda that the Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam said (translated):

"Whoever memorizes ten Ayat from the beginning of Surat Al Kahf will be protected from the Dajjal."

May Allah give us (if you you have not already done so) the ability mememorize and keep these ayats in our hearts and on our tongue. May Allah Tabaraka Ta'ala allow us to teach them to our children and so on and so forth, Ameen.

And in Allah is the Tawfiq (Success).

--------------------
'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و سلم) took hold of my shoulder and said, "Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveller."

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Anyway Sands just wrote in a post prior to yours and Insha Allah he keeps his word about refraining from meaningless discourse.
This thread was started at 8.44pm last night, between 7am and 7.30am this morning sands was busy posting bible stories slandering Prophets and bashing christians. Holy cap slipped in the night did it?

Edited as times were wrong, the real times show even better the double standards.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mh. What if a person just keeps reciting them without ever thinking about or trying to understand the meaning? Would the reciting still be beneficial then? And, if yes, how and why?
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Egypt
Member # 10436

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prophet PBUH said:

1)“Whoever reads one letter from Allah’s Book will have one good deed, and the good deed is multiplied ten folds. I do not say Alif Lam Mim is one letter. Rather, Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.”

2) Undoubtedly, the heart gets rusted like metal gets rusted when water goes over it. The People asked, "How can they [hearts] be cleaned." The Prophet replied, "To remember death in abundance and to recite the Holy Quran."

3)Whoever is an expert in reciting the Holy Quran is with the Kiraman Katebeen and whoever reads the Quran with pauses and it is difficult for him, that is, his tounge does not move easily and he recites with difficutly for him there are two rewards.

4) Do not make your home a graveyard, the Shaitan runs from the home in which Surah Baqrah is recited.

5) Whoever recites Surah Kahf on the day of Jummah, there will be a Nur brightened for him between two Jummahs.

6) Everything has a heart and the heart of the Quran is Surah Yaseen, whoever read Yaseen, Allah will write the reward of reading the Quran ten times from him.

enough [Smile]

Posts: 1201 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Mh. What if a person just keeps reciting them without ever thinking about or trying to understand the meaning? Would the reciting still be beneficial then? And, if yes, how and why?

This is a good question, one I have often thought about, especially regarding some people who recite almost flawlessly yet are incapable of understanding what it is they are reading.

Firstly I would like to point out that despite such, there are numerous amounts of people who in fact do comprehend what they are reading.

My personal opinion regarding those that do not comprehend what they are reading is one of intention and I base my argument on the following authentic hadith:

"The deeds are considered by the intentions, and a person will get the reward according to his intention. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His Messenger, his emigration will be for Allah and His Messenger; and whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration would be for what he emigrated for".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

If these people recite without knowing what they are reciting for the sake of Allah(swt) then I personally deem their practice one of a pious nature by they are doing it to please Allah(swt).

I also think such people that strive to recite in the language it was sent in also read translations in their own languages. I have known many people over the years studying Arabic go about it this way.

Would do you think?

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
Firstly I would like to point out that despite such, there are numerous amounts of people who in fact do comprehend what they are reading.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply the opposite. Neither did I mean to imply people who recite without understanding what they are reciting are not doing it out of sincere piety.

But I've always found it strange that often when you read about the benefits of reciting a particular sura or verse, there is hardly ever any mentioning about the benefit of understanding or about the importance of the contents etc. It's usually about getting rewards when reciting this or that. But I feel just telling people you'll get a reward when you recite this and that is not really enough.

For example, I remember trying to do some research about ayat al kursi. I found a lot of texts, but most of them just stressed the benefits of reciting and when and how to recite it etc. None of this further helped me with my understanding of the verse. So I found it a bit frustrating that scholars would keep stressing the importance of that verse but not explaining WHY they thought the verse was important.
Does that make sense?

But something else crossed my mind earlier. I was thinking in terms of "sound therapy". You know certain sounds and frequencies can have healing properties; and it's a very old spiritual and meditative technique to repeat a particular sound, word or phrase because of its particular vibrations and the effect those have on the person recitating or listening.
So I was wondering whether particular verses or suras might have particular "healing properties" when being recited in Arabic.
I remember talking to a woman on the net who worked as a midwife and she used to give women who were about to give birth a particular word to recite during labour. She always picked one of the 99 names of God for this which I found interesting. I have to see if I can find her site again ...

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

quote:

Mr. Egypt answered your posting using a excellent hadeeth (below):

quote:
Whoever reads one letter from Allah’s Book will have one good deed, and the good deed is multiplied ten folds. I do not say Alif Lam Mim is one letter. Rather, Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.”
This shows the importance of the reciting in the Arabic Letter mashaa Allah Tabarka ta'ala.

Jazaakum Allahu Khairan Mr. Egypt for reminding us of this beautiful hadeeth.

Here is another beautiful hadeeth to encourage those who are not fluent in Arabic or tajweed inshaa Allah:

quote:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
‘Such a person as recites the Qur'an and masters it by heart, will be with the noble righteous scribes (in Heaven). And such a person as exerts himself to learn the Qur'an by heart, and recites it with great difficulty, will have a double reward.’ (narrated by Bukhari)

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Everything in the universe is in a state of vibration creating sound waves at variable frequencies. Each celestial body, in fact, each and every atom, produces a particular sound frequency on account of its movement, rhythm, or vibration. This includes the human body. Every organ, bone, tissue and other parts of the body have a healthy resonant frequency (vibratory rate of an object). When that frequency changes, that part of the body vibrates out of harmony and this is what is termed disease. If it were possible to determine the correct resonant frequency for a healthy organ and then project it into that part which is diseased, the organ should return to its normal frequency and healing should occur. Our body is receiving and absorbing sound frequencies all the time from its surroundings. These external sound frequencies together with the vibration of the body organs make up a composite frequency, a harmonic that is your own personal vibratory signature. This signature encircles the whole body with a field, like an aura.

How does the body know what to do with all of the frequencies it receives? The body hears frequency. The ears change that sensory input into biochemical impulses and send that information to the brain. The eyes feast on frequencies of light input, change those impulses into biochemical energy, and send that information to the brain. The nose receives frequencies of aromas and changes it into biochemical input and sent it to the brain. Each sensory organ collects information as frequency input and changes that input into biochemical impulses, which it sends to the brain. The brain in turn digitizes the information and redistributes it to systems and functions of the body to maintain homoeostasis.

When sound at different frequencies enters the body it is not only translated into electrical signals but it also comes in contact with the body cells and alters their basal vibratory resonance that can be detrimental or beneficial for the body depending on the frequency of sound.

Researchers are desperately trying to find the healing frequencies. There's plenty of scientific proof that it can be effective for everything from enhancing the mental faculties, reducing stress and boosting mind-power. Many studies in recent times have shown that music (sound) can reduce pain and ease anxiety during surgical procedures. In a German study there were lower levels of stress hormones in the bloodstreams of patients having endoscopies when they listened to the music of their choice during the procedures. At the Bethesda Naval Medical Center in Maryland, USA, doctors found that men who listened to music during sigmoidoscopies felt more relaxed during this uncomfortable examination.

Sound therapy can make you smarter too - at least temporarily. A study at the University of California, USA, found that college students who listened to Mozart for 10 minutes scored eight to nine points higher on intelligence tests than they did after sitting in silence for the same amount of time. However the effect lasted only 10 to 15 minutes, after which the scores returned to normal.

Another study from Louisiana State University in Shreveport, USA, concluded that listening to slow and easy music lowered heart rates and allowed longer training sessions in a group of 24 young adults. While listening to hard-driving rock music had the opposite effect: heart rates increased and workouts were shorter when the subjects tuned in to rock 'n' roll. A new branch of sound therapy, called Music Thanatology, has evolved that seeks to ease the emotional and physical suffering of terminally ill patients through soothing sounds at specific frequencies.

In one of the few medical studies conducted on listening to the recitation of Holy Qur'an Dr. Ahmed E. Kadi and Associates (Cairo), have shown a reduction in blood pressure, heart rate, and smooth muscle relaxation in Muslims as well as non-Muslims.

There should be no doubt that the sounds of the words of Allah have divine healing powers. Allah has made the work of scientists easier by revealing the healing frequencies: "And We sent down in the Qur'an that which is healing and a mercy to those who believe; to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss" (Qur'an 17:82).

The sound of recitation enters the body just like all other sounds or frequencies:
- Through the ears into the brain, and
- Directly into the organs and tissues.

All of us are familiar with the first type of entry mechanism as this is what we hear; its effect is the audible sound, which in case of Qur'anic recitation would result in pleasing and positive effects mediated through unknown processes taking place in the brain.

The second mode is entirely different. In this case, sound wave frequencies pass right through the body organs and tissues, in the process altering the vibratory resonance of the body cells into a healthier pattern and getting converted into electrical stimuli.

Prophet (PBUH) always stressed reading Qur'an loudly and not silently by saying: "The comparison between a silent reader and a recitor is like a bottle of perfume when it is closed and when it is opened".

Allah has also emphasized reciting Qur'an slowly (with pauses) for complete absorption of its effects. That means that if we recite very fast then the frequencies can overlap and mingle up resulting in a vibratory chaos thus rendering the beneficial effects useless.

http://www.quranicstudies.com/article133.html

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Somewhere in the sands:

quote:
Whoever reads one letter from Allah’s Book will have one good deed, and the good deed is multiplied ten folds. I do not say Alif Lam Mim is one letter. Rather, Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.”
This shows the importance of the reciting in the Arabic Letter mashaa Allah Tabarka ta'ala.
No, sands, it does not answer my question at all. It tells me that I will get a reward for reciting, but nowhere am I given a reason or an explanation.

If your child asks you why it has to do this or that, would you tell him "Just do it because I'll give you a candy when you do it."? Or wouldn't you rather explain to the child the reason for a particular recommendation or order?

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Excellent article Dalia!

--------------------

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

quote:
quote:

quote:
No, sands, it does not answer my question at all. It tells me that I will get a reward for reciting, but nowhere am I given a reason or an explanation.

If your child asks you why it has to do this or that, would you tell him "Just do it because I'll give you a candy when you do it."? Or wouldn't you rather explain to the child the reason for a particular recommendation or order?

Sorry Dalia, you ask:

quote:
The answer is yes it would be beneficial for you because as a believer in the Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam he salallahu alayhi wassalaam told you that the reciter will get 10 rewards for each letter. That's the benefit. So for each letter that is recited you will get 10 rewards placed into your book of good deeds and there are many other benefits as well, however, for me that is sufficient wa Allahu Ta'ala Al Alim.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

It's just part of an article, Ayisha. The rest is in the link, it was too long to post.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
So for each letter that is recited you will get 10 rewards placed into your book of good deeds and there are many other benefits as well, however, for me that is sufficient wa Allahu Ta'ala Al Alim.

Am I allowed to pursue the answer to my question regardless, your honour? [Cool]
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply the opposite. Neither did I mean to imply people who recite without understanding what they are reciting are not doing it out of sincere piety.

But I've always found it strange that often when you read about the benefits of reciting a particular sura or verse, there is hardly ever any mentioning about the benefit of understanding or about the importance of the contents etc. It's usually about getting rewards when reciting this or that. But I feel just telling people you'll get a reward when you recite this and that is not really enough.

For example, I remember trying to do some research about ayat al kursi. I found a lot of texts, but most of them just stressed the benefits of reciting and when and how to recite it etc. None of this further helped me with my understanding of the verse. So I found it a bit frustrating that scholars would keep stressing the importance of that verse but not explaining WHY they thought the verse was important.
Does that make sense?

But something else crossed my mind earlier. I was thinking in terms of "sound therapy". You know certain sounds and frequencies can have healing properties; and it's a very old spiritual and meditative technique to repeat a particular sound, word or phrase because of its particular vibrations and the effect those have on the person recitating or listening.
So I was wondering whether particular verses or suras might have particular "healing properties" when being recited in Arabic.
I remember talking to a woman on the net who worked as a midwife and she used to give women who were about to give birth a particular word to recite during labour. She always picked one of the 99 names of God for this which I found interesting. I have to see if I can find her site again ...

quote:

Does that make sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense and I believe it goes back to ancient Arabia and probably beyond. There seems to be great emphasis on rote methodology and this includes recitation. Many times such teachers place an emphasis on a matter dismissing the comprehension part altogether. It is perhaps habitual and this is professed in many aspects of society. This is apparent from schools who teach children using a rote method, to doctors barely if at all giving the patient information on his/her condition, to government’s unwillingness to be transparent with budgets, etc. Like you said they will tell you this is important but enlightening you fully is certainly an obstacle.

This is true for some scholars but definitely not Tajweed sheiks because their purpose is educating a student in recitation and memorization.

quote:

Maybe, and i have heard repeatedly that such and such Surah is beneficial for such and such. Unfortunately this is the extent of my knowledge in this regard - i certaily love some the sounds of specific ayat. And the Surat like "Yaseen" and "Al Ma'arjj'(especially the beginning) and this is strictly sound related.

This belief has defintely been abused by some. In Egypt for example you will have some people say if you recite such and such surah X amounts of time you will memorize the Holy Quran in a week or whatever. Totally Bogus of course! Not that i tried such an approach [Big Grin]

Also the use of the Quran by some Sheiks to cure obviously mentally ill people is another abuse of this belief. There is simply to much ignorance prevailing with regards to the health benefits of the Quran. More research is definitely needed.

Many believe that recitation of the Holy Quran benefits their general well being.

This {{سكينة}} translated as peace and reassurance by some is supported in the Quran.

Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muslims offer SALAT (prayer in Arabic) 5 times a day. They take shahada (acceptance of Islam) by saying “Allah hu akbar la illaha ilallah muhammedan rasoolullah” and they repeat these lines or similar ones in their salat.

Now the ambiguity here is, if Muslims really respected Jesus and accepted him as one of their prophets, then why don’t Muslims say “Allah hu akbar la illaha ilallah, eesa rasoolullah “at least once in a day while offering salat? The above verse means Allah is the only GOD and Muhammad is Allah’s messenger. Well why this exclusive preference being given to only Muhammad? Why not Jesus if he too was a messenger of Allah?

A Muslim can say “Islam was revealed via Muhammad and that’s why we say so.” That shows Islam originated only in the time of Muhammad and not before as Muslims claim. This refutes their claim that Jesus was a Muslim and that even Adam was a Muslim. Muhammad founded Islam and before him Islam did not exist and so the previous prophets could not have been Muslims.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:

This belief has defintely been abused by some. In Egypt for example you will have some people say if you recite such and such surah X amounts of time you will memorize the Holy Quran in a week or whatever. Totally Bogus of course! Not that i tried such an approach [Big Grin]

That definitely sounds like superstition to me. Also the people who place a Qur'an somewhere in their car, believing it will protect them. Or verses of it on jewelry worn for *protection*.

quote:

This {{سكينة}} translated as peace and reassurance by some is supported in the Quran.

Karen Armstrong notes: “The sakina it will also be recalled, seems to be related to the Hebrew Shekhinah, the term for God’s presence in the world”.

The Shekhinah is commonly referred to as the indwelling feminine face of God manifest on Earth in matrimonial concord, which retreated in the Fall, and will return as scattered shards or 'sparks' in the final unveiling.
[Big Grin]

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:

That definitely sounds like superstition to me. Also the people who place a Qur'an somewhere in their car, believing it will protect them. Or verses of it on jewelry worn for *protection*.

quote:

Karen Armstrong notes: “The sakina it will also be recalled, seems to be related to the Hebrew Shekhinah, the term for God’s presence in the world”.

The Shekhinah is commonly referred to as the indwelling feminine face of God manifest on Earth in matrimonial concord, which retreated in the Fall, and will return as scattered shards or 'sparks' in the final unveiling.
[Big Grin]

quote:

Perhaps some are superstitious – I really do not know. I just know that some sheiks take such to an extreme where they actually try to heal mentally ill people by reciting the Quran in their presence.

These sheiks actually believe that such people are possessed. It is actually similar to exorcism as practiced by Christians. Almost identical actually where by reading over the person they believe they can force the demonic Jinn from the person.

quote:

With all due respect to Ms. Armstrong I would rather read what you have to share Dalia. I am not into personal conjectures nor do I entertain ignorant, baseless opinions as such mentioned by Ms.Armstrong.

Allah (swt) is neither male nor female. Why Ms. Armstrong chooses to take such a deluded stance is her opinion and her opinion only. Allah (swt) created Angels(no gender), Jinn, Man and Animals.

Why she feels she must associate a gender with Allah (swt) is beyond me and certainly contradicts Allah's(swt) own words.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
With all due respect to Ms. Armstrong I would rather read what you have to share Dalia.

On what? On sakina or on the benefits of reciting? Btw, I'm sure Ms. Armstrong has a lot more interesting things to say than me. [Wink]

Not trying to be facetious, but I'm getting confused now. [Confused]

quote:

Allah (swt) is neither male nor female. Why Ms. Armstrong chooses to take such a deluded stance is her opinion and her opinion only. Allah (swt) created Angels(no gender), Jinn, Man and Animals.

Why she feels she must associate a gender with Allah (swt) is beyond me and certainly contradicts Allah's(swt) own words.

I'm sorry! You misinterpreted the quote I posted, but it was entirely my fault.

I posted an isolated quote from a longer text. The first part was indeed a quote from Karen Armstrong:

The sakina it will also be recalled, seems to be related to the Hebrew Shekhinah, the term for God’s presence in the world

The second part, mentioning the "shekinah" as "the indwelling feminine face of God" etc. was a general quote from the text, it did not belong to Karen Armstrong's quote.

All I wanted to do was to point out that there seems to be a relationship, maybe a similar or shared concept, between "sakinah" and "shekhinah". And one of several options to interpret the word "shekinah" is as I quoted above.

I did not quote this to mean it's the absolute truth. Rather I found it was a very interesting notion, and my post was also a bit tongue-in-cheek, because most people on here know I'm a passionate feminist and thus that idea would appeal to me. [Big Grin]

I do realize though, after re-reading it that I didn't express myself clearly at all.

Here's the link to the complete text:
http://www.dhushara.com/book/sakina/countdown/Sakina.html

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:
With all due respect to Ms. Armstrong I would rather read what you have to share Dalia.

On what? On sakina or on the benefits of reciting? Btw, I'm sure Ms. Armstrong has a lot more interesting things to say than me. [Wink]

quote:

I posted an isolated quote from a longer text. The first part was indeed a quote from Karen Armstrong:

The sakina it will also be recalled, seems to be related to the Hebrew Shekhinah, the term for God’s presence in the world

The second part, mentioning the "shekinah" as "the indwelling feminine face of God" etc. was a general quote from the text, it did not belong to Karen Armstrong's quote.

All I wanted to do was to point out that there seems to be a relationship, maybe a similar or shared concept, between "sakinah" and "shekhinah". And one of several options to interpret the word "shekinah" is as I quoted above.

I did not quote this to mean it's the absolute truth. Rather I found it was a very interesting notion, and my post was also a bit tongue-in-cheek, because most people on here know I'm a passionate feminist and thus that idea would appeal to me. [Big Grin]

I do realize though, after re-reading it that I didn't express myself clearly at all.

Here's the link to the complete text:
http://www.dhushara.com/book/sakina/countdown/Sakina.html

quote:

It’s not what you think - I simply enjoy what you have to say and not what someone else says regardless of their expertise. Time is valuable and simply put I want to read what you have to say about what we are discussing. I could care less for Ibn kathir or Ms.Armstrong. [Smile] Life is short right?

quote:

It was a general misunderstanding and i could live with that. I guess Ms. Armstrong was wronged and i apologize to her.

What about you Dalia what do you think this word 'sakina'/{سكينة} means?

Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Bumping up! Insha Allah don't forget to read the surat before magrhib on Friday [Big Grin] May Allah azza wa jal accept your good deeds and reward you. Ameen

--------------------
'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و سلم) took hold of my shoulder and said, "Be in this world as if you were a stranger or a traveller."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com