EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Jordan queen wraps up YouTube plan on stereotypes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jordan queen wraps up YouTube plan on stereotypes
Strangeways.
Member # 14842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strangeways.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan queen wraps up YouTube plan on stereotypes

By DALE GAVLAK – 2 days ago

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — Jordan's Queen Rania said Monday that her 5-month YouTube project aimed at challenging stereotypes of Arabs and Muslims hasn't made intolerance "melt away" but it has sparked some change in attitudes.

The media-savvy monarch plans to wrap up on Tuedsay a series of daily interactive YouTube video and written blog postings that she launched in March to create online dialogue with young people in the West and promote moderate Islam.

"I'd like to think I've made some people pause, reflect and reconsider ideas and assumptions they held as true, but it would be naive to think that everyone who clicked on to the page, now thinks differently," Rania told The Associated Press in an e-mail.

Over the past five months, her YouTube site had more than 2 million visitors. Viewers can watch her daily video postings on subjects that including honor killings, terrorism and the Arab women's rights. Musicians, comedians and other personalities also contributed, and viewers could respond by posting their own written comments and videos.

An ardent advocate of women and children's rights in Jordan, the Palestinian-born Rania said she was "very pleased" with the frank discussions and probing questions YouTube's freedom provided. She said she witnessed "changes in attitude" mainly among the site's returning visitors.

While her YouTube debate "hasn't made tensions and intolerance between cultures melt away," she said she hoped it challenged some to reconsider how they think about those who "look different, dress differently, worship in a different way, and live in the same community as them."

"If it resulted in a smile to a stranger, or a knock introducing yourself to your neighbor, then I'd be very proud," she added.

Rania said her YouTube channel would remain online after Tuesday, and she would post "from time to time," but less frequently.
On the Net:

* Queen Rania's YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/queenrania
* Queen Rania's Web site: http://www.queenrania.jo

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com