EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » halal or haram

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: halal or haram
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a question that my son asked me and im not sure of the answer can any one help, is something that is not halal ..haram??
eg, i can buy sweets that state they are halal,
but i have also seen sweets that say they contain gelatine, but not gelatine made from pork or beef, but doesnt say suitable for vegatarians??

2nd if a cow is killed in a abotoire(conventional non muslim way of killing a animal) does this make it haram?? and then if so does that make the skin from it to make leather haram?? eg leather jackets, shoes settees etc etc??

Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think for things like this you would have to make your own choice blue. I generally only eat things that say 'suitable for vegetarians' or halal. If i saw it had geletine in it, i wouldnt buy it, but i'm sure some people would.

2nd, if a cow isnt slaughtered in the halal way, then it would probably come under 'christian' meat in a 'christian' country, so therefore you wouldnt eat it if at all possible, and if you did, then i believe you say 'bismillah' in the usual way before you eat it, but dont quote me on that. Again there are muslims that do eat non halal meat.

I have friends who wont wear pig skin shoes. My personal take on it is that we are told not to eat it, not 'not to wear it' so this does not bother me, I mean we are not wearing halal slaughtered leather shoes anyway are we?

Thats just my personal take on it, inshaAllah you will get other views also [Smile]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianLiving*Com
Member # 15738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving*Com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wearing leather from an animal slaughered in an unhalal way is fine - we are only told not to eat such meat. pig skin might be problematic as muslims are told not even to touch the flesh of the swine let alone eat it.

muslims that say bismillah over haram meat are only fooling themselves, that is baseless and has no evidence. Simple answer if an animal is not slaughtered the halal way - the obviously it is haraam.

the halal sweets that usually would contain gelatine from meat are usually made from seaweed gelatine. But if it doesn't say suitable for vegetarians you should not give it benefit of the doubt, you should always try to be certain that it is allowed to eat n not take risks.

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 121 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlueSky, if sweet packets say the ingredients contain gelatine and it doesn't state beef gelatine or the packet doesn't say halal, I would stay away from them. You'll usually be ok with sweets made in Turkey because they use beef gelatine.

I couldn't really find any information about the slaughter of animals and leather but I found a fatwa from Islam online with regards to pig skin and believe it or not it's not actually agreed upon that pig skin is haram! I'm shocked about that but the ayat they quote makes sense because it says the swine flesh is forbidden and does not mention the pig itself. Anyway, see for yourself Islam Online Fatwa

With that in mind (and don't take my word for it, you should check with a legal source) it would seem that it's ok to wear the leather of animals not slaughtered in a halal way since nobody is going to slaughter a pig and say bismillah (IMO).

You can send a request to Islam online yourself or you can contact London Central Mosque. I have contacted them by email before and they do respond.

Eating food not slaughtered in the name of Allah is haram. I have heard scholars say that if you live in an area where there are no halal butchers you should buy kosher meat or make arrangements to buy meat from a town closest to you with halal meat (buy in bulk and freeze it). I also found another fatwa for this: Non-Halal meat

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue, here is a discussing about Christian and Jewish meat, which differs from advice above, the discussion says it is ok to eat meat slaughtered by people of the book.

http://www.sunniport.com/masabih/showthread.php?t=3893

Yusuf Al-Qaradawi opinion

This one gives the opposite opinion:

http://www.islamonline.net/discussione/thread.jspa?threadID=19565

This discussion settles on 'no, its not halal to eat non halal meat'

And again, this link below (IslamQA) suggests that meat slaughtered by 'people of the book' is ok, provided it is NOT slaughtered in certain ways.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Islam-947/eat-meat.htm

I'm not telling you what is right or wrong, only Allah knows that, personally I err on the side of caution and dont eat meat that is not halal, because usually there is a halal option [Smile]

The following is from another article you may find interesting, regarding your point on Pig skin (although this is in response to Boar hair brush):

According to the most authentic and preferred view of scholars, there is nothing wrong in using a brush made of boar bristles. Scholars/jurists are unanimous in their view that no part of the pig is edible and it is a matter of consensus that all parts of the pig are unfit for human consumption. However, there is considerable difference of opinion regarding the external use of parts of the pig such as bone, skin that has been tanned, hair, etc. While a few scholars categorize them together and consider all parts of the pig impure (najas) and therefore unlawful (haram) for human use, a second group do not consider such external body parts of the pig as impure, and so they find no harm in making use of these parts as long as they are cleansed of any traces of blood which is undoubtedly haram. There is still a third group of scholars who, while refusing to declare such things unlawful (haram), nevertheless considers them to be undesirable (makruh).

http://www.islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=316

reason for the difference of opinion:

Imam Malik was inclined towards this view regarding the use of pig skin when he said in response to a question whether it was permissible to use it or not. He said, 'I dislike it!' In other words, while not going so far as to prohibit it altogether, he considers its use to be undesirable (makruh). The reason for this diversity of views concerning this issue is the fact that there is no categorical text in the fundamental sources (i.e. the Qur'an and the Sunnah) to the effect that the external parts derived from pigs are impure or haram. The Qur'an, while prohibiting the consumption of swine specifically mentions only its flesh (See: Al-Baqarah: 173; Al-Ma'idah: 3; Al-An`am: 145; An-Nahl: 115). The Hadiths also do not contain any explicit reference prohibiting the use of such parts for external use.

Blue - I know that you were a little frustrated when you asked questions on divorce before, because it seems as though people do not give you a straight answer.
I directed you to sites myself, and you found this confusing, I think in the end Sherribaby told you a friend of hers, who is muslim, said such and such, so there was your straight answer.

I just wanted to explain why this is in case you are not aware. Its not that we want to complicate things for you, but we are all responsible for the advice we give you, if I tell you 'yes its ok' and you go and do it, and it turns out to be wrong, not only will I carry my sins, but yours and whoever else reads it , and whoever else you tell [Big Grin]

As muslims we have to be very careful what we advise others, which is why we might refer you either to scholars or texts etc so that you can decided for yourself...I have enough trouble carrying my own sins, without carrying everyone elses [Big Grin] . So the best thing is to read and draw you own conclusions, or better still, over matters of importance, such as divorce specifically, or whats halal or haram, then do as someone above suggested and ask a scholar or Imam - on their head be it [Wink]

If you are given wrong advice from a scholar or Imam, you have done your best to find the right answer. But if you ask Joe Bloggs in the street (or Joe Ahmed [Wink] ) then you will still carry the responsibility for your decision if you take their advice and run with it.

Also be aware that there ARE differences between how muslims practice their religion and what advice scholars may give, but inshaAllah you will get good advice.

Salaam Aleikum

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok thanks all for your replies, and it doesnt seem a cut and dry as i hoped, but i will try the mosque in london as NotSleeplessInCairo suggested, i have asked my husband and he has asked a few sheiks but they where not too sure either and said they will find out for him, so inshallah i will get my son his answer soon

thanks once again to you all [Smile]

Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by **Butterfly**:
I think for things like this you would have to make your own choice blue. I generally only eat things that say 'suitable for vegetarians' or halal. If i saw it had geletine in it, i wouldnt buy it, but i'm sure some people would.

2nd, if a cow isnt slaughtered in the halal way, then it would probably come under 'christian' meat in a 'christian' country, so therefore you wouldnt eat it if at all possible, and if you did, then i believe you say 'bismillah' in the usual way before you eat it, but dont quote me on that. Again there are muslims that do eat non halal meat.

I have friends who wont wear pig skin shoes. My personal take on it is that we are told not to eat it, not 'not to wear it' so this does not bother me, I mean we are not wearing halal slaughtered leather shoes anyway are we?

Thats just my personal take on it, inshaAllah you will get other views also [Smile]

In this country there is no christian meat its just a another way of saving time and money to slaughter as many animals as they need ok .I have worked in one and there is no prayers over them if you want i will say what is said but you would not like it .And recently as a muslim i was discusted to know that a muslim farmer was selling haram food for the supermarkets and muslims was buying this when asked why he said it was cheaper .And he was also using off cuts chickens guts that should have gone to the burner .I am funny now in what i eat i know now where my meat comes from and i know who does it so i have some faith there now but other wise its lentils for us .

And wearing ALLAH OR SOLDIERS OF ALLAH on your footwear of on the back of your coat is too and even wearing hijab with name brands on their head as well makes me laugh !!something like Calvin Klien!!

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com