EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » How one Brit survived Saudi Arabia's "chop-chop square"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How one Brit survived Saudi Arabia's "chop-chop square"
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How I survived chop chop square

I was tortured and sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia. As a westerner, I was eventually released, but others are not so lucky

William Sampson
guardian.co.uk,
Tuesday October 14 2008 10.30 BST

In theory I should now be dead. Not from disease or an accident but because of the simple fact that my head was set to be severed from my body with a sharp sword in a public square in Riyadh, the Saudi Arabian capital.

In 2001, I was condemned to die in this brutal archaic fashion after being caught up in what became known as the "Saudi Brits" affair. Along with eight others, I was rounded up by the panicked Saudi authorities after a series of attacks on foreigners in the kingdom suddenly started to make this expat country of choice seem distinctly unsafe.

Desperate to pin a nascent anti-government insurgency on squabbling "bootlegger" foreigners (anything rather than concede that ultra-safe Saudi Arabia had an internal terrorism problem), we were to be the sacrificial lambs. Remember those bizarre, wooden "confessions", haltingly delivered by scared looking men on national Saudi television? One of those came from me. If I looked petrified it may have been because I'd been dragged to prison, threatened, sleep-deprived and beaten so severely that I almost died from heart attacks.

In a numbed state of shock, I would have confessed to anything. As it was, I said I'd committed a series of laughably implausible "turf war" crimes that never even existed. The farce continued. I was subjected to two perfunctory, completely scripted trials at which I was told to plead guilty and beg for mercy. I was sentenced to death, tried again twice without even being in the courtroom at all, and again sentenced to death by beheading.

This, remember, is what happened just a handful of years ago in a justice system of an influential Middle Eastern country that enjoys excellent diplomatic relations with most of the world's powerful countries, including Britain. It was only this time last year, for example, that we were rolling out the red carpet for King Abdullah's state visit.

So, how did I come to be alive to write this for the Guardian today? Simple. Belonging to a wealthy "client" nation like the United Kingdom means that while you can be tortured and falsely imprisoned in Saudi Arabia, in practice you are not going to suffer a brutal demise in "chop chop" square in this execution-addicted country.

At the time of my ordeal there was much talk of "diplomatic efforts" to secure our release. This was mostly UK government spin – they had to put it about that they were trying hard to get us out. Yes, they will have exerted pressure on the Riyadh authorities but I later learnt that I and my fellow detainees had been released as part of a "prisoner exchange" involving five Saudis being held by the US at Guantánamo Bay.

Finally released in August 2003, after 964 days of solitary confinement, torture and dehumanising terror, I harbour no illusions about what saved me: my passport. There was no apology, no official pardon, just a perfunctory granting of "clemency" and immediate expulsion from the country. An accident of birth had preserved me and eventually my release became a political expediency.

Ironically, even the manner of my release further confirmed the politically corrupt nature of the Saudi system of justice. Foreign workers like me, subject to bogus trials and languishing in miserable jails, can only hope that the Saudi lottery of false mercy will save them. Meanwhile, of course, Saudi's poor migrant workers from Somalia, Bangladesh, the Philippines or Pakistan are virtually doomed if they face a capital charge (not all for lethal crimes, incidentally).

Anyone who might somehow think that Saudi justice is harsh but fair should read a new Amnesty International report (pdf) which shows that the legal system is heavily rigged, with well-connected Saudi nationals up to eight times more likely to negotiate "blood money" pay-offs to victims' families that lead to commutation.

Certainly one shouldn't forget that ordinary Saudis without the right connections are also going to their deaths in this lethal lottery of a justice system. The latest figures show that this blood-soaked country is on average executing at least two people every single week.

In my experience what passes for a judicial system in Saudi Arabia has less to do with investigating crime and punishing criminals, and far more to do with maintaining control and compliance among both its own citizens and its community of ex-patriot workers.

Why should we care? Well, apart from the fact that thousands of British people go to work in this country every year and that Britain continues to maintain extremely cordial relations with the Saudi royals, this wretched system is simply an affront, not only to justice but to our common humanity.

If ever there was an advertisement for the abolition of the death penalty and for all that is wrong with its application, Saudi (in)justice provides it.

I can only ask: when are western governments going to stop pandering to the Saudi princes? Or could it be that they prefer to go on burying their heads in the sand?

Guardian

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would have to torture, tie me up and drag me up the stairs of any aircraft with destination KSA.

Hypocrital, blood soaked country!

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the details from the excecutioner himself.

Saudi executioner tells all

"Saudi Arabia's leading executioner says he is "very proud to do God's work" and does not lose sleep over beheading several people in one day.

In a rare interview, Muhammad Saad al-Beshi, 42, told the Saudi daily Arab News that he had executed numerous women, as well as men.

He expressed indifference about the number of beheadings he was required to carry out.

I sleep very well... I live a normal life like everyone else
Muhammad Saad al-Beshi

"It doesn't matter to me: two, four, 10 - as long as I'm doing God's will, it doesn't matter how many people I execute".

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God's Will? Where in any of God's Books does it say this is His Will??

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG
did anyone click the link?

That was repulsive..........

At least an animal has no clue it is about to be slaughtered.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

Ayisha, the death penalty is allowed by God (2:178).

HM, I am not a proponent of Saudi, but they are allowed to carry out executions. Their method may seem barbaric to you, but consider other methods used in other countries.

In Egypt you are hung.

In the states there are 5 legal methods (and used by over 2/3 of the states); lethal injection, hanging, gas chamber, firing squad and electrocution.

Of all of these methods,IMO beheading seems the quickest and least painful.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreeing with Laura.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The killing of Innocent people??

quote:
Well that depends. How are they being beheaded, etc? It is up to the executioner just how many blows he gives, and perhaps even unintentionally his blow may not full true. Many moons ago, in England people would bribe the executioner to make it quick, without such bribe, he would drag it on for as long as he wants. If you are willing to be an executioner, than already you are twisted, so already kinda likely that you would be more than happy to make someone suffer.

I will never agree to the death penalty (an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, etc), however, if a country decides on it, then for gods sake give the people some dignity in their murder. It should be private, not some show. This is why I think I'd personally choose injection. Hanging, beheading, the chair, all seem more for the dramatics of it, rather than actually getting the job done. And to me, that is sick.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

HM, I am not a proponent of Saudi, but they are allowed to carry out executions. Their method may seem barbaric to you, but consider other methods used in other countries.

In Egypt you are hung.

In the states there are 5 legal methods (and used by over 2/3 of the states); lethal injection, hanging, gas chamber, firing squad and electrocution.

Not by my God.
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura that might be what is on the law books, but in reality when was the last time anyone was hung, shot by rifle/pistol or by electrocution?

Lethal injection and gas chamber has been the main method for the last two decades.

Keep in mind how the body and mind reacts to each method of execution.

I don't believe in the death penalty, I abore it.

But without it many criminals convicted of multiple murders, in combination with sex crimes will eventually be released into the public.

In KSA 38 somalis were executed in one year alone, most for drug offences, none had a lawyer, a defense and weren't allowed to speak on their behalf.

I have somali friends who have started, maintained or attempted to create businesses in KSA (with the help of a saudi sponsor). Often, at least a few times a year, somali businessmen are threatened to comply with a bad business agreement (like hand over 6 months profit or else) or they will have drugs planted on them or a guest worker's pre-teen child alleges sex abuse.

Yes saudis force their guest worker's to allege sexual misconduct in order to have a person executed and confiscate their business.

So the hundreds of executions each year are a form of social control, most of those executed are innocent.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nov 2:
Laura that might be what is on the law books, but in reality when was the last time anyone was hung, shot by rifle/pistol or by electrocution?

Lethal injection and gas chamber has been the main method for the last two decades.

Keep in mind how the body and mind reacts to each method of execution.

I don't believe in the death penalty, I abore it.

But without it many criminals convicted of multiple murders, in combination with sex crimes will eventually be released into the public.

In KSA 38 somalis were executed in one year alone, most for drug offences, none had a lawyer, a defense and weren't allowed to speak on their behalf.

I have somali friends who have started, maintained or attempted to create businesses in KSA (with the help of a saudi sponsor). Often, at least a few times a year, somali businessmen are threatened to comply with a bad business agreement (like hand over 6 months profit or else) or they will have drugs planted on them or a guest worker's pre-teen child alleges sex abuse.

Yes saudis force their guest worker's to allege sexual misconduct in order to have a person executed and confiscate their business.

So the hundreds of executions each year are a form of social control, most of those executed are innocent.

Theres kinda two topics going on- one is that saudi sucks, and one is about the death penalty.

I concur that saudi sucks in most aspects. I often struggle to find something redeeming about their culture and society.

But I'd like to mention that death by hanging and by the firing squad HAVE been used in the U.S. as late as the 90's.

Personally, I find electrocution to be the most repulsive method of execution, and administered with the least amount of medical supervision.

I am also, obviously against innocent people being executed. Which is my problem with the death penalty- that our justice system is obviously flawed and that innocent people have been put to death and will probably be put to death in the future, which is horrific.

But I'm not against the death penalty per say. I'm not against the idea behind it, and if we lived in a perfect world, I'd completely support it.

If a person makes the decision to steal someone elses right to life, they forgo their right to it. The problem is, making sure that person ACTUALLY did so.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am against the death penalty. It is a calculated murder that someone has to carry out.
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

It is pre meditated murder.

I wonder out of those who agree with capital punishment for whatever reason, would be the ones to do the execution by whatever means?

If you agree with CP then you should be willing to be up for selection, just as a jury is to execute the person.
I feel that if you put the switch in many of the 'I agree with CP' hands they would soon change their mind.

and I agree Saudi sucks...........

nothing whasoever would tempt me there

of_gold
Member # 13418

If you vote for the death penalty then you do have the switch in your hand.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Millas
Member # 15374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Millas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Saudi Arabia's leading executioner says he is "very proud to do God's work" and does not lose sleep over beheading several people in one day. ]

Saudi government and their justice [Frown]
What's God's will got to do with it? God's work [Confused] ugghhhhh Is this God's will or the king's will or king's work ?
That man had found the easy way of salving his conscience.What a nice way,easy... everybody can claim that he is doing his work for God's will,God's work.
Long live Saudis and their dynasty!!!

Posts: 186 | From: Eurasia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:

The family of the victim should decide on the death penalty and if they choose to do it they should also be made to carry it out.

And it should be next of kin.

huntchback
Member # 15883

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntchback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!
"More than I00 countries have now abolished the death penalty in law or practice. . .Against the global trend towards abolition, however, the U.S.A. has relentlessly increased its rate of executions and the number of crimes punishable by death."-- Amnesty International "United States of America- Rights for All," October 1998

Posts: 173 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
Originally posted by Hockey mum is 'goin down':
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:

The family of the victim should decide on the death penalty and if they choose to do it they should also be made to carry it out.

And it should be next of kin.

That is not justice, it is vengeance.

quote:
"Rom 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

Rom 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Rom 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. "

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com