EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Reverts to Islam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reverts to Islam
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Roman Catholic Priest tells how he was attracted to Islam, his journey started in Egypt.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b9DYF87enAE&feature=related

There is so much on this that I can relate to personally, particularly when he says that he was moved to tears, this has happened to me twice.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An English Girl and her family describe how her conversion to Islam has affected her family and some of the difficulties they experience.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9qBOQqOuE&feature=related

I can relate to this also, peoples opinions are often very hiden. Many English people cannot relate or understand why an English woman would chose Islam - this causes many question that people are often afraid to ask.

When they do ask, they are often very surprised with the answers, in a good way.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
An American girl talks about how she became muslim and this bought her closer to God.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=khjtrIkYU5I&feature=related

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
An English girl tells how she feels like she is leading a 'double life' she is not brave enough to wear a scarf, as she is worried how she will be perceived.

I can REALLY relate to this one [Wink]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=53xM0Ze8gz8&feature=related

of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From these videos I see these people convert for superficial reasons. Like, Muslims are nice people, praying gives me peace... I don't see any of them saying that they converted due to the Islamic doctrine itself. Do you?

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
In what way is feeling peace superficial? Why do you feel the need to try and make out that their reasons are not worthy?

To them it is important, they dont have to convince you and neither are they trying to.

Of course its the Islamic doctrine, its a system of beliefs, why else would the woman feel guilty about not wearing hijab? Why else would the Priest feel overwhelmed by the boy who is thanking God for everything in his life?

Peace is the fundamental principle of Islam, so for someone to feel peace through reverting is surely a prime example of being influenced by Islamic doctrine.

Try harder to knock them if you must.

of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, feeling peace is not superficial. It is not specific to Islam either. You can have a feeling of peace from doing yoga or sitting quietly by a stream.

I just expected to hear reasons they converted specific to Islam. Thats all.

I have seen the American girl video before. Seems she was involved in a wild life style and Islam provided her the structure that she needed. Which is good for her.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by **cat**:
[QB] An English Girl and her family describe how her conversion to Islam has affected her family and some of the difficulties they experience.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9qBOQqOuE&feature=related

What a small world, this young lady lives just up the road from me.....!!!I know her paretns..

Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really admire this young lady for her courage and confidence to change to Islam. Not because of the religion, which I do respect, but just that our small town is a very close knit generally british white, alas biased community. This young ladies parents are professional pillars of our community, I wish her luck and love with her new faith.xxx [Smile]
Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
No, feeling peace is not superficial. It is not specific to Islam either. You can have a feeling of peace from doing yoga or sitting quietly by a stream.

I just expected to hear reasons they converted specific to Islam. Thats all.

I have seen the American girl video before. Seems she was involved in a wild life style and Islam provided her the structure that she needed. Which is good for her.

Well feeling peace for this person IS specific to Islam. I'm sure we do not enter a room full of people meditating or doing yoga and tell them their reason for doing it is superficial, because they can achieve peace by doing something else.
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
I agree with *cat* on this one, the reasons these people and many like them convert to islam is based on the inner peace they achieve through prayer etc.

I

sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
I am sure there are many other issues to discuss for their reasons for converting. Remember these are just small snippets of video....
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Thank you sherribaby, and also, its a feeling a person gets that feels right - why does that need to be questioned?

I might listen to one speech by Obama and be convinced that i think he would be a good president, someone else might need to listen to 4, 5, 6 whatever... Equally, someone somewhere else will listen to McCain and think that he will make a good president.

Would it be right for me to say 'well, because it only takes one speech of Obama to convince ME, the rest of you are not thinking deeply enough and your reasons are superficial'...No, it wouldn't

I would never tell you Of_Gold that what you believe (and why) is not good enough, your reasons are not based on Biblical doctrine, I have no right to do that.

Whether your beliefs are based on dreams, feelings or religious study, we are all entitled to our own.

of_gold
Member # 13418

I don't understand your defensiveness. All I said is that I listened to all of the videos and did not hear a specific reason why they convert to Islam. You could pray to a stone for all I care if it makes you feel good. Do you expect that no one ask any questions? I did not call anyone names or say that they have no right to believe a certain way.

I think everyone should be able to follow any religion they choose as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. I am thankful that I live in a country that allows this freedom because many do not.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
quote:
From these videos I see these people convert for superficial reasons. Like, Muslims are nice people, praying gives me peace... I don't see any of them saying that they converted due to the Islamic doctrine itself. Do you?

No THIS is what you said. You said they converted for 'superficial' reasons.

Here is the definition of superficial from Wikipaedia:

Superficial is a general term meaning "regarding the surface", often metaphorically. Both in the literal as in the metaphorical sense the term has often a negative connotation based on the idea that deeper parts are also important to consider.

Thus, the term is used to describe an observation or analysis that deals only with the most apparent and obvious features of some object, or phenomenon.

A superficial, or alternatively, an "over-simplified" argument is prone to many logical fallacies : including hasty generalization, division, composition and many others.

A person who exhibits a "superficial" comprehension of some or many subjects may be negatively attributed as being shallow, materialistic, and even exhibiting false emotions through an exaggerated affect display. Occasionally they may be pseudointellectual.

In terms of emotion, superficial is used in a number of ways to refer principally to a display of emotion which is not necessarily genuine. For example, to display 'superficial charm' refers to someone who externally appears genuine and charming yet is intentionally appearing so, perhaps for personal gain. For superficial sympathy, see crocodile tears.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superficial"

THAT is why I was defensive.

of_gold
Member # 13418

OK, This is what I meant:

quote:
Superficial is a general term meaning "regarding the surface", often metaphorically. Both in the literal as in the metaphorical sense the term has often a negative connotation based on the idea that deeper parts are also important to consider .

Thus, the term is used to describe an observation or analysis that deals only with the most apparent and obvious features of some object, or phenomenon.

Not this:

quote:
In terms of emotion, superficial is used in a number of ways to refer principally to a display of emotion which is not necessarily genuine. For example, to display 'superficial charm' refers to someone who externally appears genuine and charming yet is intentionally appearing so, perhaps for personal gain. For superficial sympathy, see crocodile tears.

gab
Member # 14577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sherribaby:
I agree with *cat* on this one, the reasons these people and many like them convert to islam is based on the inner peace they achieve through prayer etc.

I

women on this site are kidding themselves in luv and religion ...wishfull thinking abaut going to heaven ..lol..
...like revert also do [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 366 | From: some day | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
gab - and like you know each and every one of us.... [Roll Eyes]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In need one learns how to pray"- Dutch Proverb.
People need structure, stability, and to feel peace inside. Praying has the same effects as meditating, and religion can be something to hold on to. In bad circumstaces a lot of people will fall into prayers, just to give them peace of mind.
Churches are more full in bad times as they are in good times, in order to find that inner balance again. One turns into Islam, one turns into Baghwan or Buddism, doesn't matter really.

If there should be statistics from new converts in all religions, I think, majority did find it in order to bring structure into their chaos.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it has the wished effect...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
I [/qb][/QUOTE]women on this site are kidding themselves in luv and religion ...wishfull thinking abaut going to heaven ..lol..
...like revert also do [Roll Eyes] [/QB][/QUOTE]

So does your way of thinking gab, proclaim that we will not go to heaven unless we are isalmic born? You imply also you believe a convert to islam will not go to heaven either?

But all those who follow islam, no matter what life they lead lying, cheating and stealing, as long as they pray to make amends will go to heaven?..wow...

As for presuming to know about our love affairs...hahahaha

What a sad and narrow minded person you must be to make such judgemental comments.

I pity the woman who gives you her heart...

tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway this is a nice post *CAT* but always someone will magnify it differently .

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pure spring
Member # 13333

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pure spring     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You could pray to a stone for all I care if it makes you feel good.

I think everyone should be able to follow any religion they choose as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. I am thankful that I live in a country that allows this freedom because many do not.

I do not know how human biengs, with their minds, can think this way!!!!!!!??? stones did not creat anything, stones did not ask you to pray to, stones did not guide you, stones did not say what is right and what is wrong. With our minds, we have to find out who is the true God. Sorry of-gold, I think everyone should search for the true God and believe in him. Islamic countries are the cradle of tolerence, you can find all kinds of minorities in the Islamic world untill now. Damascus, Baghdad and Cairo,were societies of multiculture and religions comunities continued centuries with harmony. Jews and Muslems were killed and tortured in the Catholic Spain during the 15 th and 16th centuries while North African Islamic towns received both. Terrorism is modern invention by intellegence agencies and media, by adopting groups of criminals,to misguide people in the West and spread Islomophopia for many reasons, after centuries of direct colonialism, followed by indirect colonialism. Domination, natural resources are two aims of several ones. of-gold, please, once be fair.
Posts: 130 | From: foggy bottom | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pure spring
Member # 13333

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pure spring     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O true God the almighty, forgive us all, guide us to the straight way, your way.
Posts: 130 | From: foggy bottom | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com