EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Discussing the Quran from English Translations (or other language)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discussing the Quran from English Translations (or other language)
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dime's worth. (inflation)

The Quran is written in Arabic. I do not read or fully understand Arabic yet.

English (or any language) translations of the Quran are at best a simple explanation for none arabic speaking people.

I prefer to have anything I have questions with, to be explained by a scholar of Islam, who fully understands and comprehends arabic, and then draw an opinion based on that.

Taking a word or phrase from the Quran that has been translated and forming an OPINION on what was meant, is only a weak understanding, IMHO.

That's why I don't like the Religion forum. It does not have any scholar to correct, fully explain or help with things that are stated here, and that some may mistakenly take for fact or be misled by.

~~Poof~~

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.

Its not just the Quran. Translations are SO arbitrary- its really amazing. Often words aren't translated literally- because it wouldn't make sense, but instead the translator gives a word or phrase he believes would illustrate his understanding of the word most accurately.

I worked on a translation for an attorney last week- I was supposed to compare my translation to an official translation from a government department and I was AMAZED at the inaccuracies. Sometimes the words were translated literally, sometimes generally- using the translators opinion- sometimes words were translated into phrases when they weren't phrases, sometimes phrases were translated into single words!!! SO many assumptions.

I'm glad I've learned as much Arabic as I have, as its helped me understand more of the Quran than I could before. I'd like to learn more- even enroll in a class which just teaches Quranic Arabic. I'm still amazed sometimes reading the English translation, and comparing it to even a translation in Urdu. Quite unfortunate.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trouble is we have to think about these things and we have to discuss them before we can go through the lengthy task of learning Arabic. I for one would not want to put off learning about Islam until i learnt arabic.

As long as the sources you use for your information are from scholars then i dont see the harm in discussing the issues.

I have known children come from mosque saying 'we are not allowed to say the word 'pig' '
And presumably their teacher spoke Arabic

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by **cat**:
The trouble is we have to think about these things and we have to discuss them before we can go through the lengthy task of learning Arabic. I for one would not want to put off learning about Islam until i learnt arabic.

As long as the sources you use for your information are from scholars then i dont see the harm in discussing the issues.

I have known children come from mosque saying 'we are not allowed to say the word 'pig' '
And presumably their teacher spoke Arabic

I agree. Go to a learned person with the credentials, until, or while you yourself are gaining them.

But you can't rely blindly on someone- and you can't rely just on yourself.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com