EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » The punishment for rape in the Bible

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The punishment for rape in the Bible
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NIV

A woman is raped. Then the punishment of the rapist is that he must marry her? [Confused]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This custom still is used in the area, even by muslims. By the way I wanted to ask you, do you remember last year there was a lot of publicity in Turkey about that murder ona Turkish woman in Amsterdam? She owned a child care centre, and the media in Turkey suggested it was a racial murder. Does the media still publish about this now? After investigation she seemed to have an affair with the boss of the man who killed her. Not a recent affair, it lasted since 3 years before her death. The murderer remains silent about the motive. The police expects that his boss (her lover) is involved, but there are still no proves. The killer and his boss are both Turkish.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she is pledged to be married what happens then? Stoned for not screaming loud enough? Far out God seems to really have it in for women.
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001187
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glassflower:
If she is pledged to be married what happens then? Stoned for not screaming loud enough? Far out God seems to really have it in for women.

There are a few cases mentioned http://www.google.nl/search?q=forced+to+marry+her+rapist&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD_nl

That doesn't matter really, the original question was this custom in relation to christianity. I think it doesn't exist in Christianity anymore. Not in the first place because there is separation of church and state in most countries. It's just a backward custom from centuries ago.... Maybe that't the big difference between christianity and islam, in christianity the christians agreed in skipping religious laws that were written in the bible, and muslims do not agree in skipping what has been written in quor'an. By the way, catholics are using the new testament as a guidance, not the bible...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwvwv
Member # 18213

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwvwv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in christianity the christians agreed in skipping religious laws that were written in the bible, and muslims do not agree in skipping what has been written in quor'an
The key to understanding this issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians.

The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

Posts: 213 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vwvwv:
quote:
in christianity the christians agreed in skipping religious laws that were written in the bible, and muslims do not agree in skipping what has been written in quor'an
The key to understanding this issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians.
Jesus was of the nation of Israel, he was a Jew that didn't come to abolish the law.

quote:
The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

Not doing a very good job of obeying are you? Try practicing what you constantly preach. [Wink]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
What a strange thing to say: It never was God's intention.... How do you know?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

vwvwv
Member # 18213

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwvwv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Jesus was of the nation of Israel, he was a Jew that didn't come to abolish the law.

Exactly. He did not come to abolish the law but to fullfill it. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fullfilled the the purpose for which it was given and ushered us into a new era.

Muslims seem to imply that all of humanity should march backwards 1,400 years BC via the diluted and distorted old-new law of Muhammad and re-impose the old commands on everyone. But they fail to understand the relationship between the Old and New Testaments.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwvwv
Member # 18213

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
What a strange thing to say: It never was God's intention.... How do you know?

The Bible tells us so.

The Law defines sin (Romans 7) it places all mankind under sin and shows that all need a savior(Roman s 3).

Under the New Covenant God's Law is "Written on the tablets of the heart" Heb 8 (2Cor 3).

Gal. 3:24,25, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
[QB] This custom still is used in the area, even by muslims.

I think I can't call this as custom. This is written in a holy book.

quote:
By the way I wanted to ask you, do you remember last year there was a lot of publicity in Turkey about that murder ona Turkish woman in Amsterdam? She owned a child care centre, and the media in Turkey suggested it was a racial murder. Does the media still publish about this now? After investigation she seemed to have an affair with the boss of the man who killed her. Not a recent affair, it lasted since 3 years before her death. The murderer remains silent about the motive. The police expects that his boss (her lover) is involved, but there are still no proves. The killer and his boss are both Turkish.
Really?? I haven't read anything since that time. So we understand that having prejudices for somebody or for a society is always wrong, the fact can be completely different [Smile]
I will search on net.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
I think, first we have to realise the reason why these girls had (and still have) to marry the one who raped her. It is because of the backward believe that her honour has been taken by having sex without being married. I've read about cases that men intentionally rape girls with a western passport because in that way they hope to marry her while in normal circumstances he would have been rejected.
They were not forcing her to marry him to punish her! She has lost her honour and nobody else would marry her, so it is a only solution. (Or stay unmarried)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com