EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Abusing women is un-Islamic: Saudi mufti

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abusing women is un-Islamic: Saudi mufti
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abusing women is un-Islamic: Saudi mufti

By MUHAMMAD HUMAIDAN | ARAB NEWS

Published: Apr 8, 2011 19:05 Updated: Apr 8, 2011 20:41

JEDDAH: Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Asheikh has strongly warned against maltreating women in any form and said this is totally against Islam.

In his Friday sermon at Imam Turki bin Abdullah Mosque in Riyadh, the mufti said only bad people treat women badly.

"The psychological or physical abuse of wives, daughters and sisters is against the Islamic Shariah and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)," he said.

Al-Asheikh warned husbands and fathers who take the salaries of their wives and daughters that they are committing anti-Islamic acts.

"The fathers who make it a condition to have their daughters' salaries before they give their consent for marriage are equally wrong. Husbands who force their working wives to share in home expenses are committing erroneous acts. Islam made it the responsibility of the man to spend on the house," he told the worshippers.

The mufti also said it is haram (forbidden in Islam) when husbands ask their wives who request divorce to return the dowry before they consent to divorce. He also said burdening women with bank loans and letting them suffer the payment of installments is equally haram.

The mufti said polygamy, which is allowed by Islam under the condition of being just and fair, is not a loose right. "The first wife should have all her rights," he said.

He also warned against relying on matchmakers who draw a bright picture of the groom who may turn out in the end to be an unethical and irresponsible man.

"Matchmakers should convey a true picture of the groom and the bride," he said.

The mufti asked people to make the Prophet a role model in his treatment of women, citing a number of Hadiths that the Prophet never maltreated women.

"The Prophet was completely refined in the treatment of his wives, daughter and other Muslim women," he said.

The Prophet has said: "The best of you are the best to their wives; and I am the best to my wives."

The Ministry of Social Affairs has toll free telephone numbers in several cities and towns for women to report cases of violence against them.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article349820.ece

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ No doubt. You no like? get out of the kitchen.

Though I heard some women like being bitten., [Big Grin]

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find some of his comments very belittling to women. Plenty of working women take pride in sharing the duty of paying for the house/household things and bills. It isn't a burden that us poor little women cannot handle, it is a responsibility we want to share with our partner.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta respect a woman who can hold her own. [Cool]
Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ourluxor
Member # 15101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ourluxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Prophet was completely refined in the treatment of his wives, daughter and other Muslim women,"

Take note "and other 'Muslim' women".

Posts: 430 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notes taken. [Mad] [Roll Eyes]
Stephie_ELH
Member # 16197

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephie_ELH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ WK this is in the context of force. If a couple agrees to share expenses fair enough, but some people are in the habit of taking their wives/daughters salaries/money as a right.
Under Islamic rules, women are entitled to be financially provided for.This allows a woman to choose to stay at home to care for children/elderly in places where childcare/nursing facilities are not available/common.

Posts: 195 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:

I find some of his comments very belittling to women.

They are to you and me. But this fatwa was issued by the Saudi grand mufti and mainly targeted at Saudis. In this context, it's surprisingly positive.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
I find some of his comments very belittling to women. Plenty of working women take pride in sharing the duty of paying for the house/household things and bills. It isn't a burden that us poor little women cannot handle, it is a responsibility we want to share with our partner.

There was a story, here somewhere I think, about a bunch of Saudi women protesting their right to marry. They were highly skilled and good earners and apparently their families wouldn't let them even have the opportunity to meet someone to marry, let alone making introductions, because they were pocketing their salaries. A lot of these women were in their 40s and were just being used as a meal ticket. I took the guy to be addressing this, in part at least.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely somewhere in the Koran etc there is some thought that maybe women might evolve culturally enough to be treated with a little less condescension and a little more respect.
Many Muslim men I have met, whilst apparently good Muslims, have even treated me like some kind of doll, unable to form an opinion on anything.
They must know how dumb this makes them look.
On the other hand I've met a lot of well educated Egyptian wives who are quite content to be lazy greedy blobs.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com