EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Torture- American Style

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Torture- American Style
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Torture, American style
11-02-2005
By Bob Herbert

Jettisoning the rule of law to permit such acts of evil as kidnapping and torture is not a defensible policy for a civilized nation.

Maher Arar is a 34-year-old native of Syria who emigrated to Canada as a teenager. On Sept. 26, 2002, as he was returning from a family vacation in Tunisia, he was seized by American authorities at Kennedy Airport in New York, where he was in the process of changing planes.

Mr. Arar, a Canadian citizen, was not charged with a crime. But, as Jane Mayer tells us in a compelling and deeply disturbing article in the current issue of The New Yorker, he "was placed in handcuffs and leg irons by plainclothes officials and transferred to an executive jet."

In an instant, Mr. Arar was swept into an increasingly common nightmare, courtesy of the United States of America. The plane that took off with him from Kennedy "flew to Washington, continued to Portland, Maine, stopped in Rome, Italy, then landed in Amman, Jordan."

Any rights Mr. Arar might have thought he had, either as a Canadian citizen or a human being, had been left behind. At times during the trip, Mr. Arar heard the pilots and crew identify themselves in radio communications as members of "the Special Removal Unit." He was being taken, on the orders of the U.S. government, to Syria, where he would be tortured.

The title of Ms. Mayer's article is "Outsourcing Torture." It's a detailed account of the frightening and extremely secretive U.S. program known as "extraordinary rendition."

This is one of the great euphemisms of our time. Extraordinary rendition is the name that's been given to the policy of seizing individuals without even the semblance of due process and sending them off to be interrogated by regimes known to practice torture. In terms of bad behavior, it stands side by side with contract killings.

Our henchmen in places like Syria, Egypt, Morocco, Uzbekistan and Jordan are torturing terror suspects at the behest of a nation - the United States - that just went through a national election in which the issue of moral values was supposed to have been decisive. How in the world did we become a country in which gays' getting married is considered an abomination, but torture is O.K.?

As Ms. Mayer pointed out: "Terrorism suspects in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East have often been abducted by hooded or masked American agents, then forced onto a Gulfstream V jet, like the one described by Arar. ... Upon arriving in foreign countries, rendered suspects often vanish. Detainees are not provided with lawyers, and many families are not informed of their whereabouts."

Mr. Arar was seized because his name had turned up on a watch list of terror suspects. He was reported to have been a co-worker of a man in Canada whose brother was a suspected terrorist.

"Although he initially tried to assert his innocence, he eventually confessed to anything his tormentors wanted him to say," Ms. Mayer wrote.

The confession under torture was worthless. Syrian officials reported back to the United States that they could find no links between Mr. Arar and terrorism. He was released in October 2003 without ever being charged and is now back in Canada.

Barbara Olshansky is the assistant legal director of the Center for Constitutional Rights, which is representing Mr. Arar in a lawsuit against the U.S. I asked her to describe Mr. Arar's physical and emotional state following his release from custody.

She sounded shaken by the memory. "He's not a big guy," she said. "He had lost more than 40 pounds. His pallor was terrible, and his eyes were sunken. He looked like someone who was kind of dead inside."

Any government that commits, condones, promotes or fosters torture is a malignant force in the world. And those who refuse to raise their voices against something as clearly evil as torture are enablers, if not collaborators.

There is a widespread but mistaken notion in the U.S. that everybody seized by the government in its so-called war on terror is in fact somehow connected to terrorist activity. That is just wildly wrong.

Tony Blair knows a little about that sort of thing. Just two days ago the British prime minister formally apologized to 11 people who were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for bombings in England by the Irish Republican Army three decades ago.

Jettisoning the rule of law to permit such acts of evil as kidnapping and torture is not a defensible policy for a civilized nation. It's wrong. And nothing good can come from it.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama...what is the other side of the story? You only gave us one side. Why did Canada not get involved in this? It seems we have as many questions as answers.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama If this was such an extremely secretive affair, how did you and your friends manage to get hold of it and the world press didnt! Have you got access to the Pentagon now? If you really want to talk about terror, torture and kidnapings why dont you talk about the real problem in Iraq, where Sunnie Moslems are going about daily raping, torturing, kidnaping and killing innocent people, most of them other Moslems of a different religious persuasion. Charlie.
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I wish to get involved in these tit-for-tat debates on American torture, but just for a change I though people might like to have a look at Egyptian torture as we dont hear much about that. This is an official report by the official World Human Rights Watch organisation. It was produced last year, and did concern a number of tourists as well as native Egyptians.
http://hrw.org/reports/2004/egypt0304/

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arabs & Americans
By Internet
Two Arabs boarded a flight out of New York. One sat in the window seat and the other sat in the middle seat. Just before takeoff, an American got on and took the aisle seat. After take off, the American kicked his shoes off, wiggled his toes and was settling in when the Arab in the window seat said, I think I'll get up and get a beer. "No problem," said the American, "I'll get it for you." While he was gone, one of the Arabs picked up the American's shoe and spat in it. When he returned with the beer, the other Arab said, "That looks good. I think I'll have one too." Again, the American obligingly went to get it and while he was gone, the other Arab picked up the other shoe and spat in it. When the American returned to his seat, they all sat back and enjoyed the flight. As the plane was landing, the American slipped his feet into his shoes and knew immediately what had happened. He looked at the two Arabs and asked, "Why does it have to be this way? How long must this go on? This fighting between our nations? This hatred? This animosity? This spitting in shoes and pissing in beers?"

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know about this case, I read about it before either in a report for the UN or Amnesty International, it is an extradition case. There are similar cases that Sweden for example got strong international protest because they sent 2 asylum seekers back to Egypt where they were tortured and didn't receive a fair trial. The one about Canada is more related to the war on terrorism, because Arar's name was on a list the US believed he was involved with some act of terrorism. That's why they sent him to Syria not to Canada. But actually Canada got involved officially and I believe that Arar is back to Canada now.
Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is a remote possibility that they are connected to terrorism they have to be thrown out. Frankly, what happens after that is their problem.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one should be extradited to a country (jurisdiction) where he/ she would be subject to torture, death penalty, unfair trail and any serious human rights abuses - no exceptions. War on terrorism can’t be a justification for illegal detention or torture and mistreatment. And this applies to ALL countries, whether the States, UK, Syria, Egypt or whatever.
Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
We have got many people in England UK who are known as terrorists in their own countries, and have fled to Britain to escape punishment. and there they hide behind these ridiculous laws in a safe haven whereby the governments supports them, pays for their families and even pays for their lawyers to assist them to avoid punishment in their own countries.

I can tell you, I shall be glad when this scum is thrown out of England and sent back to their own countries where they have committed murders and atrocities. Hopefully, they will suffer the death penalty which they deserve.

Saints by the way are not anti-hanging.
Charlie.

Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Well Charlie, that's your opinion.. Thank God you are not involved in drafting new legislations in the UK or they will be facing serious human rights violations. Also I am sure that the UK government has strict rules for granting asylum to refugees if they are really terrorists and were not prisoners of conscience for example. There is a different, I am sure you know that.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
I agree, kick the scum out. There is nothing worse than a random bomber. These terrorists are cowards who would blow up a 5 year old in a grocery store to make a political point. If they are tourtered in their own country then so be it.
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh great now these geniuses are acting as judge jury and executioner.
How stupid are you two guys (charlie and horem)?
Do you think anybody accused of crime(s) is naturally guility? Thank God nobody has put you two in charge of anything yet except extreme objections to human rights.

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sokarya_686@hotmail.com:

I can tell you, I shall be glad when this scum is thrown out of England and sent back to their own countries where they have committed murders and atrocities.

How about the British Scum in Luxor?

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Yes, judge , jury and exceutioner...who cares. If these people we living at home making a living and minding their own business they would not have a problem. They are radical turds and I don't care what happens to them.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Yes, judge , jury and exceutioner...who cares. If these people were living at home making a living and minding their own business they would not have a problem. They are radical turds and I don't care what happens to them.
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Hello Salama, you would be the first to go my dear. Charlie the Saint.
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sokarya_686@hotmail.com:
[B]Hello Salama, you would be the first to go my dear.

Perhaps you forgot granny/daddy that I am as much British as Tony Blair ? and as much Egyptian as much as Tut Ankh Amon?

I forgot to mention that I pay 42% of my salary to support your pension Long Johnny.

1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sokarya_686@hotmail.com:
Hello Salama, you would be the first to go my dear. Charlie the Saint.

we would just line up some sheep and let you follow them Charlie

Charlie the sheep I mean Saint

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com