EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Turning Muslim in Texas (white America)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turning Muslim in Texas (white America)
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.turntoislam.com has this and other documentaries.

The documentary explores the lives of several Texan families. Muslim and Non Muslim, and their views about Islam and life in the West.

George W Bush may be backed by Christian fundamentalists but in his home state of Texas, Islam is the latest big draw. The Bible belt is transferring its allegiance to the Quran because, for many erstwhile Christians, believe it or not, the church is too liberal.

Eric was a Baptist preacher before he became a Muslim 14 years ago. Now he prays five times a day and even in the middle of watching a football game. His wife, Karen, also a convert, is covered from head to toe in the traditional Muslim burka. Islam, says Eric, is everything I wanted Christianity to be. His mother has found it hard to come to terms with her sons conversion and believes he will return to the Christian faith: Then he will be a dynamic preacher. Eric says: "Maybe some day she will embrace Islam."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9184353144432289069&q=islam
(good video)

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is no move to Islam in Texas, you never hear about it anywhere and it is a hard fit for this culture. Never happen....

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would LOVE to see a picture of someone in a stupid burka hangin' down in San Antonio.
No, actually, I wouldn't.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Texas is becoming the larges muslim populated state in te USA. There is a great move to Islam and more and more tradional bible belt christians are moving into Islam. Insha Allah this wave will continue and perhaps bring some Islamic schools to Alabama, so the muslim children will have the same benefit at those in Texas. Houston alone has about 50,000 muslims, and Texas itself about 100,000, about 1/5 of the growing muslim population in the United State
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=dog&url=http://www.egyptsearch.com

[Razz]

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
I would LOVE to see a picture of someone in a stupid burka hangin' down in San Antonio.

there was actually a documentary on texax muslim...

it was really nice, as there was this town, a typical american city, high rise buliding, the massive road and all the rest...
and there was this on lady fully covered even with niqaab....walking in the streets...

i dont know what time of the day they filmed it, but there was harldy any people around, and it was amazing how a muslimah was walking in a metropolitain city - a place where u least expect to see them....

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first of all 100,000 muslims in Texas is a drop in the bucket, that is less that 1% of the population. Most Texans have a very negative view of Islam for all of the obvious reasons.
It is a number that reflects the number of immigrants that have come in here over the last few decades.
Keep in mind also that the real increase in Texas is in Mexican Catholics. We get nearly 400,000 a year in new immigrants from Mexico, either legal or otherwise. Islam has a very limited future in this state.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
first of all 100,000 muslims in Texas is a drop in the bucket, that is less that 1% of the population. Most Texans have a very negative view of Islam for all of the obvious reasons.
It is a number that reflects the number of immigrants that have come in here over the last few decades.
Keep in mind also that the real increase in Texas is in Mexican Catholics. We get nearly 400,000 a year in new immigrants from Mexico, either legal or otherwise. Islam has a very limited future in this state.

[Roll Eyes] I know the statitics of Texas as far as the other populations, my post was about the number of Muslims in Texas. Of course I know that the comparison to the total poplulation would make the poplulation about 1%. Your referance to the population as nothing but " a drop in the bucket" only show that you are afraid of the possiblity of you becoming the minority. Yes the growth of Muslims has only been over the past few decades. Muslims of the West are here by choice, not force, unlike some of the other Muslims that were forced over here in bondage over 400 years ago, and stripped of of our Isalm.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Well, some of what you said is interesting, some a little silly. For us to become a minority the population here would have to swell to 60 million in Texas and all of the increase would have to be Muslim, that is insane, nobody fears that. The point is that we are becoming much more Mexican Catholic than anything else. There is substantial marriage between the Anglo and Mexican populations here producing tens of thousnmads of mixed people. The future of Texas is a union of anglo and mexican populations here, not Islam.
Additionally, If there are more terror attacks here I can assure you the Muslim population with vastly decrease here. You should know after Iraq and Afghanistan that American will not tolerate attacks here in America.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaliG182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWesternDebt2Islam aka Ki$$ aka K:
quote:

there was actually a documentary on texax muslim...

it was really nice, as there was this town, a typical american city, high rise buliding, the massive road and all the rest...
and there was this on lady fully covered even with niqaab....walking in the streets...

i dont know what time of the day they filmed it, but there was harldy any people around, and it was amazing how a muslimah was walking in a metropolitain city - a place where u least expect to see them....

Yes there was a documentary on Texan muslims ages ago on Channel 4, in the UK.

One man said, "Islam is everything I wanted Christianity to be"

Posts: 356 | From: NEVERMIND | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaliG182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What do you mean by a "silly" burka? You don't have to wear i yourself but you don't have to call it silly.
Posts: 356 | From: NEVERMIND | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Berka's are very negative because they imply an inferior, controled position for women in the society and the family. America thrives on eductaed, liberated, up front women. Without them our economy would collapse so that said, the Berks's need to go. If you wear that stuff over here people think you are a little 'weird.'

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
quote:
Berka's are very negative because they imply an inferior, controled position for women in the society and the family. America thrives on eductaed, liberated, up front women. Without them our economy would collapse so that said, the Berks's need to go. If you wear that stuff over here people think you are a little 'weird.'

That's how you've chosen to interpret the significance of the Barka.

Muslim women are the most liberated of women, with the best of rights. Some muslim women are deprived of their God-given rights by chauvinists unfortunately.

America thrives on corruption, deception and their exploitaion of people in developing countries.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
you are full of baloney Malig. America has porvided more income for more people than any country in history. We have poured trillions in oil money into the middle east only to see it sucked up by your dishonest muslim leaders. instead of using it to help their people it ends up in Swiss bank accounts. Nobody has helped developing countries more than the United States.

What have you guys produced.... terror?

MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
You help poor people with money that they helped you earn in the first place, as a result of your exploitative ways.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Bull Shirt...we buy the damn oil with our money. This kind of ignorance is why you people live in a poverty stricken, flea infested sand pit. Get off your lazy a$$e$ and acomplish something instead of complaining about people who do.
If we are exploitive then you must be really stupid and weak or we could not do it. All you do is cause trouble everywhere you go and then wonder why nobody wants you around.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaliG182:
You help poor people with money that they helped you earn in the first place, as a result of your exploitative ways.

lol...this is a good one
and very true, indeed

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
its baloney and just an excuse to make up for your own short comings. We do not owe you squat.
What did these poor people do to help us earn the money? ...nothing.

from an economic standpoint , once you get past the oil, most middle eastern societies contribute almost nothing to the world except for goofey terrorists.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

What do you mean by a "silly" burka? You don't have to wear i yourself but you don't have to call it silly.
I didn't say silly, I said stupid. Have you ever worn one? A photojournalist friend of mine came back from Afgani with a few and we went for a walk. People might call the burka humiliating, whatever, I think jeans that show your thong are humiliating, too.
The point is, the burka is an extremely stupid garment. It is dangerously limiting to mobility, aiding its fans' self-fulfilling prophecy of helplessness. Why don't you just put a woman in a burlap sack and drag her down the street? It would be basically the same "garment".

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Also Mali,
Personally, I apologize if you are wearing the burka and take offense. However, if you are NOT wearing one I recommend you do, for a full day.

Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoremheb,

when did islam have anything but a negative view in the west. please enlighten me!!!

Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
It has had a negative image Gulfy, but nothing even close to what it has today. It has always been a disfunctional culture. Never was a problem until they had a population explosion starting after WW II. The problem with the culture is a stong religious arrogance without any real power to back it up.
Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you think of what Clinton said about the cartoons, that anti-semitism in the west is being replaced by anti-islamic prejudice.
Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Well, I think for every action there is a reaction. I do agree that there is much anti Islamic prejudice. Every time a car bomb goes off or a suicide bomber strikes it reinforces that negative image. Muslim mothers should be trying to get their sons and daughters in business school, not have them running around poverty stricken neighborhoods in Berkas and ski masks.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have that quote, Gulfy? I'd be interested in seeing it....

I find it fascinating to see how different Europe and the US are on this matter.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
was the scandal between monica and clintion the only/main reason to his resignation?

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
he did not resign WesternDebt, he was impeached but not convicted. Probably should not have been impeached in the first place.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
do u think it was a consiparcy him being "impeaced" in the first place?

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

Gulfy
Member # 10089

Snoozin,

here is your Clinton quote: "these totally outrageous cartoons against Islam"...."So now what are we going to do? ... Replace the anti-Semitic prejudice with anti-Islamic prejudice?"

Gulfy
Member # 10089

Horemheb

"It has always been a disfunctional culture. Never was a problem until they had a population explosion starting after WW II"

some people would argue that the middle east is just like any other underdeveloped region, with the typical political, cultural, and economical problems, but with one major difference. The creation of israel after wwii have radicalizing the whole region, driving a great deal of the violence we have been witnessing since then!!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gulfy:
Snoozin,

here is your Clinton quote: "these totally outrageous cartoons against Islam"...."So now what are we going to do? ... Replace the anti-Semitic prejudice with anti-Islamic prejudice?"

Thanks, Gulfy. [Cool]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
quote:
Also Mali,
Personally, I apologize if you are wearing the burka and take offense. However, if you are NOT wearing one I recommend you do, for a full day.

I don't wear the burka, and I can't see myself ever wearing one. However, I have a lot of respect for women who wear it. Many muslim women wear it because they feel that it's a religious obligation. Mashaallah, they do it for Allah.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes there was a documentary on Texan muslims ages ago on Channel 4, in the UK.

One man said, "Islam is everything I wanted Christianity to be"

That's the documentary this thread was originally about.

http://www.turntoislam.com/pages/muslim_in_texas.html

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
horemb...i hope u played that video...

[Eek!] that the video i was on about [Eek!]

--------------------
--
here...

Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb you might try traveling up to North Texas sometime, the communities there are large and thriving~
Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
I was thinking the same thing. I lived in Texas about 25 years ago when I was a young child. I have been thinking about moving back there now. There are no muslim schools where I am at,and no muslim communities. I now know how important it is that my children countinue to learn Islam while they are young. Maryland, where I am from orginally, has a small but thriving muslim community. Unfortunalty, I did not become a muslim until after I left Maryland, last year. Since Texas has a stonger Muslim community, I will probably end up there.
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nooralhaq20055:
http://www.turntoislam.com has this and other documentaries.

The documentary explores the lives of several Texan families. Muslim and Non Muslim, and their views about Islam and life in the West.

George W Bush may be backed by Christian fundamentalists but in his home state of Texas, Islam is the latest big draw. The Bible belt is transferring its allegiance to the Quran because, for many erstwhile Christians, believe it or not, the church is too liberal.

Eric was a Baptist preacher before he became a Muslim 14 years ago. Now he prays five times a day and even in the middle of watching a football game. His wife, Karen, also a convert, is covered from head to toe in the traditional Muslim burka. Islam, says Eric, is everything I wanted Christianity to be. His mother has found it hard to come to terms with her sons conversion and believes he will return to the Christian faith: Then he will be a dynamic preacher. Eric says: "Maybe some day she will embrace Islam."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9184353144432289069&q=islam
(good video)

UNBELIEVABLE [Eek!]

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!

I AM SEEING A RELIGIOUS MUSLIM LADY

I AM HEARING AN AMERICAN LADY SPEAKING

I CAN'T PUT THEM TOGETHER

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE ONE

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL ... what cracked me up was the way those Texans pronounce *shahadah*.

[Wink]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:

[Wink]

I was thinking the same thing. The producers couldn't have picked some reverts in Boston? [Razz]

(Just kidding Noor!) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Noor, There are many groups of people in Texas out of our nearly 30 million population. Most immigrant groups eventually get sucked into the larger culture after a generation or two. It will not be possible to maintain an Islam anything like you have in the middle east here in the states. For one thing the legal system and cultural practice will not allow many of the traditions to thrive here that exist in other non western nations. Generally young people have a tendacy to want to joing to primary culture and be accepted.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Noor, There are many groups of people in Texas out of our nearly 30 million population. Most immigrant groups eventually get sucked into the larger culture after a generation or two. It will not be possible to maintain an Islam anything like you have in the middle east here in the states. For one thing the legal system and cultural practice will not allow many of the traditions to thrive here that exist in other non western nations. Generally young people have a tendacy to want to joing to primary culture and be accepted.

[Roll Eyes] I have to agree
MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
A 20 minute lecture by Yusef Estes, a well-known Texan Islamic scholar :

www.islamhouse.org/en/audio/en1793.ram

Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:

[Wink]

I was thinking the same thing. The producers couldn't have picked some reverts in Boston? [Razz]

(Just kidding Noor!) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[Frown] Sniffle...... [Frown]
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
quote:
A 20 minute lecture by Yusef Estes, a well-known Texan Islamic scholar :

www.islamhouse.org/en/audio/en1793.ram

i see him often on HUDA TV here (satellite Nilesat) , he is one of my husbands favorite American scholars [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com