EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » What Would Jesus Do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Would Jesus Do?
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Would Jesus Do?

By Remi Kanazi

02/04/06 "ICH" -- -- Picture this: A cartoon of Jesus, with his pants down, smiling, raping a little boy. The caption above it reads “Got Catholicism?” Or how about a picture of a Rabbi with blood dripping from his mouth after bludgeoning a small Palestinian boy with a knife shaped like the Star of David—the caption reads “The Devil’s Chosen Ones.”

I wonder if people around the world would just consider this free speech? Of course, some would condone or agree with one, two or all three, while others would say “it’s free speech,” although they “find it offensive and in poor taste.” But do you honestly think media outlets such as the BBC, Le Monde, or any media outlet in Copenhagen would pick up these cartoons? The outrage would begin instantly and advertisers would pullout. Yet, those in Denmark and their supporters around Europe call it freedom of speech to have a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed—who is not supposed be depicted to prevent idolatry according to clerical interpretation of the Koran—with a turban shaped like a bomb on his head.

The double standard the West has set for the rest of the world is disgusting. We live in a foolish bubble where we think we are free to say or do whatever we want without consequence. I remember watching Saturday Night Live when Sinead O’Connor ripped up a picture of the Pope. The furor was enormous, which led to NBC receiving a 2.5 million dollar fine by the Federal Communications Commission. Imagine if it was a picture of Jesus—the US Congress would have made the Teri Schiavo intervention look like a joke.

Where are the pictures of the dead soldiers, the dead women and children in the Western media? Some governments won’t allow it and other media outlets just fear the backlash. When I need journalistic honesty, I have to turn to Al Jazeera, why is that? One cannot even deny the Holocaust in Europe, question 9/11 in America (unless you want the Ward Churchill treatment), but the West claims they’re all about free speech.

It is no coincidence the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is grossly pro-Israeli. It is no coincidence that you never heard the full quotes of Iranian president Ahmadinejad’s comments on Israel and the Holocaust—no matter the basis. And it is no coincidence that Arab analysts who are against the war in Iraq, the occupation of Palestine, and America’s “war on terror” are insufficiently represented in the European press.

So what are Muslims to do? Violence is out of the question—that would be “an overreaction.” So why not boycott? That would be a mistake as well, according to the European Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini who stated, “Calls for boycotts or for restraints on the freedom of the press are completely unacceptable.” What Frattini meant to say is that Muslims should choose capitalism over faith. Maybe the European Union will clarify through a cartoon—Mohammed selling the Koran for ten bucks in a Danish pawn shop. But boycotting is a friend of the West. However, they more conveniently title it “sanctions.” I’m sure we all remember the 500,000 Iraqi women and children that died because of the UN boycotts on Iraq after the first Gulf War.

Is Europe is willing to continue this new trend against boycotts? Will the European community call on Israel to show Paradise Now in non-independent theatres? It’s the only way to stop the boycott of Palestinian freedom of speech. Will the European Union resume aide to the Hamas-led Palestinian government tomorrow? Since Hamas’ call for the destruction of Israel is protected under the clause of freedom of speech and the group stopped suicide attacks 18 months ago, it only seems logical.

If Denmark, Norway, France, Germany and the rest of Europe believe in the freedom of speech, it should include all instances and all religions. These nations are carelessly defending their hypocrisy and reinforcing the double standard that alienates Muslims and desecrates the Muslim faith, under the guise of free speech. I guess only one question remains for small Norwegian Christian newspapers like Magazinet that reprinted the cartoons: What would Jesus do?

*** Remi Kanazi is the primary writer for the political website www.PoeticInjustice.net. He lives in New York City as a Palestinian American freelance writer and can reached via email at remroum@gmail.com

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an extremely unintelligent premise.
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:

Which brings us back to my question. Are all American this stupid?
Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a free society, it is inevitable people get offended. People here in the US get offended by things in the media, or in art museums, or on the radio, and they protest. My grandmother walked out of the very benign movie, *Oh, God* with George Burns, because to represent God in any form is sacrilegious to her beliefs. More power to her.

What about the statue of the Virgin Mary, portrayed as a black woman, covered with elephant feces in NY? It was called art by some and sacrilege by others. People who didn't like it protested. Others said freedom of expression must reign supreme. They make a big stink, and sometimes they are vindicated and sometimes they aren't. Why should Muslims be treated any differently?

Boycotting and protesting are fine. Burning down consulates threatening to kill people aren't.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XX
Member # 10122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for XX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Public opinion isn’t leaning favorably toward the Muslims who are carrying on with this ridiculous behavior:

MSNBC Poll:Are Muslims justified in staging worldwide protests over cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad?

Total votes: 117,641 Yes: 15% No: 81% I don't know: 4%

Do they know how ridiculous they appear on the world's stage as the representatives of Islam "the religion of peace and tolerance"? Is their sense of irony so stunted as to make impossible their grasping of the disparity between what they routinely tell the world (we are peaceful) and what they say (and do)?

Here’s an idea: A terrible tragedy has just struck. A ferry carrying hundreds of Muslims has sunk in the Red Sea, killing the majority of those on board. Perhaps instead of telling everyone how to live, and making fools of themselves over these cartoons, these devout followers of Muhammad could concern themselves with helping the families of Muslims who were lost in this horrific accident. But I suppose they have better things to do.

This Irish newsite http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/02/04/story243130.html has some description of the anger from relatives and survivors, the lack of sufficient lifeboats and that all was not as one would wish.
Several survivors shouted to journalists their anger over slow rescue efforts. “They left us in the water for 24 hours. A helicopter came above us and circled, we would signal and they ignored us,” one man shouted. “Our lives are the cheapest in the world,” another said.

What is certain is that the Egyptian authorities refused help from Israel and the Royal Navy.

Posts: 149 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:
quote:

Why not ask the Danish this?
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Labibah
Member # 9742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Labibah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are all the Danish people stupid than?
Are all muslims stupid, because a part of them act with suicidebombs in sharm El Sheik, killing tourists?

I think we are allowed to use the brain as well as the rest of our body.

And perhaps the most important thing is to use the brain before we use the rest of our body... Think first, act later!

--------------------
everything is possible!

Posts: 84 | From: Norway, Trondheim | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Labibah:
Are all the Danish people stupid than?

No just the cartoonist, the editors who decided to run the cartoon, the .........
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
My grandmother walked out of the very benign movie, *Oh, God* with George Burns, because to represent God in any form is sacrilegious to her beliefs. More power to her.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about "Oh God"... Little George Burns playing God, was he smoking cigars in that movie?

The "piece" above is so mistaken, misguided and plain foolish it really isn't worth commenting on, except to say "PoeticInjustice" my a**.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
My grandmother walked out of the very benign movie, *Oh, God* with George Burns, because to represent God in any form is sacrilegious to her beliefs. More power to her.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about "Oh God"... Little George Burns playing God, was he smoking cigars in that movie?

The "piece" above is so mistaken, misguided and plain foolish it really isn't worth commenting on, except to say "PoeticInjustice" my a**.

I saw that movie as a kid, and had very bad dreams about George Burns turning into an evil monkey.

Then Roger Waters came out with his album "God Wants" and that last picture book made for the Romanoff children.

Monkeys, old men, and stories about power.

Frightening, except for the physique on Roger Waters! [Razz]

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why should Muslims be treated any differently?

We shouldn't and that was the whole argument of the article. What would Christians and/or Jews do had their prophet been insulted. I can tell you I would have been just as upset had those cartoons been about Jesus or Ibrahim Peace be upon them.
There are limits to everything and that includes Free Speech and the article pointed that those limitation exist even in the US as they should .

quote:

Boycotting and protesting are fine. Burning down consulates threatening to kill people aren't.

It certainly is better than bombing people!
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
We shouldn't and that was the whole argument of the article. What would Christians and/or Jews do had their prophet been insulted. I can tell you I would have been just as upset had those cartoons been about Jesus or Ibrahim Peace be upon them.
There are limits to everything and that includes Free Speech and the article pointed that those limitation exist even in the US as they should .

Darling, Darling Auto.

How cute.

You are interested in an European women for cheaper flights to Egypt, but you are disguisted with a part of their culture/society.

Rarely, rarely will you see a Prophet charactered in this manner in North America, its very common and accepted in Europe.

And you are forgeting that Christians, Jews and Muslims have the same Prophets.

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

Darling, Darling Auto.

How cute.

You are interested in an European women for cheaper flights to Egypt, but you are disguisted with a part of their culture/society.

Rarely, rarely will you see a Prophet charactered in this manner in North America, its very common and accepted in Europe.

Have you been drinking again sonomod?
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
I just watched an episode of the Simpsons, airing on FOX opposite the Superbowl, and it depicted the birth of Jesus with Marge as the virgin Mary and Homer Simpson as Joseph. Jesus was Bart Simpson who used his "powers" to turn Joseph's sack of wine into water.
I don't recall anyone making a peep about that when it came out originally in Christmas season.
Just so you know.

Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When will the Middle East do something useful with their lives instead of using violence, hatred and suicide/murders as their life-long goal? This has only lead to poverty and ignorance.

If the Middle East spent more time becoming educated about science, technology, math, engineering and history instead of ONLY about what the Koran says, the world might actually be just a little bit more peaceful and calmer. Right....I must be dreaming. Like that is NEVER going to happen.

Yeah, blowing up consulates/embassies across the globe is really going to make things better and more peaceful. If you believe in your religion so much and defend it and protect it. Stand up for it in a positive way, don't promote more violence. Get angry....but move on. Get over it. Life is too short for all that ridiculous violence. Too much bloodshed is going on right now with the Iraq war. Don't you think that is enough already???????????

I hear people always say how strong Islam is...but I find it weak when all you see around you is violence, violence and more violence.

Yes, the west (I am referring to USA) is corrupt. We have an awful government and we have many problems. This is a no-doubt situation. BUT blowing up buildings/airplanes is not one of our key characters. It shows nothing but weakness.

Muslims, be the better man/woman and promote a more peaceful life. Please stop condoning terrorism, everyday violence and ignorance. Time for it to stop...oops there I go again with that big dream.

I became muslim before 9/11 because I thought it really was a peaceful religion but after 9/11 things have been falling drastically. I find more and more and more ignorance, intolerance, violence, hatred and condoning of illegal activity throughout the middle east. This makes me sad to be a muslim now and I feel like a prisoner in a religion that I made a big mistake with.

Were is the peace in "Salam Alakium"?????
quote:
quote:

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus Comic enrages Greeks

Caricature or Bigotry?

Catholic Fury boosts Condom Sales

Das Leben des Jesus

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a no-doubt situation. BUT blowing up buildings/airplanes is not one of our key characters.

"excusez moi?"
Did'nt you not do just that in Iraq, Vietnam, Hiroshima, etc etc etc etc etc etc ?
Or was I missing the satire? in this answer.......... [Confused]

"Yeah, blowing up consulates/embassies across the globe is really going to make things better and more peaceful."

So It's okay to bomb civilians then?

[Confused]

"people in glass houses" springs to mind !!!! [Mad]

Snapdragon pleeeeeeeeeez get your brain in gear before you open your gob!! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The protest in New Zealand was very civil, very to the point and they stated that free speech works both ways-they are free to demonstrate against the cartoons.I just love that country.I really really do.
I dont understand why NOW though? I thought those cartoons were actually published like last year in June or something? I heard that some danish clerics took them on a study visit to egypt to show around..at least thats what our media is reporting?

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imam from hiz but tahrir travel to egypt an saudia to show the pic, an some pic that was not published in the paper
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melati:
I dont understand why NOW though? I thought those cartoons were actually published like last year in June or something? I heard that some danish clerics took them on a study visit to egypt to show around..at least thats what our media is reporting?

They were published in September.

Danish Muslims issued a 43 page pamphlet protesting agains the cartoons which was meant to prove that xenophobia is a prevailing sentiment in Danish society.

A delegation of Danish Muslims under the leadership of Abu Laban travelled through the Arabic world in order to gain support for their claim. They met with representatives of the Arabic Liga, Egypt's mufti and other important people.

This mission led to a lot of misunderstandings because not only the twelve drawings in question were taken along but also others that were much worse and of questionable origin, showing, for example, a praying Muslim being raped by a dog.

Here's the whole article:
Missverständnis im Namen des Propheten

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that books of the cartoons are being prepared and will be on the market soon.
Muslim complaints and threats actually 'created' a market for this stuff that did not exist before. Holding demonstrations, making threats , shooting guns in the air ect. is not a good thing for a Muslim image that is already tarnished in the west.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

Darling, Darling Auto.

How cute.

Have you been drinking again sonomod?
Unlike you I don't drink, I don't do co-ed health clubs, nor do I do discotechs, unlike you.
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure that I agree with Sonomod that Christians have the same prophets as Islam. After all we Christians do not have a prophet called Mahummad, neither do we have a Prophet Idris, or Seth and a few others I havent mentioned.

Cartoons are satyre, or one could say a relatively low form of wit or intelligence. They are designed to appeal to a fairly small section of the population, and all but those with a vested interested (or axe to grind) would ignore them as so much space filler in a cheap tabloid.

Most of them make either religious or political statements. Is it surprising therefore that those on the receiving end of this satyre should make religio-political capital out of it? Let's face it, the arrogance in their belief of free speech has rather back-fired on the West this time.

I wonder if anyone is going to be brave enough to put their mouths back into shape and print a few more so that we can all have a laugh at their crass stupidity.!

Or are they still going to take the moral high ground?? haha. [Eek!]

Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubtfire, When I see these cartoons disappear I will agree with you, they will continue in the west as they should. We'll take the high ground because we can distinguish between speech and action.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com