EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Question for Egyptians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Egyptians
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the original name for Egypt is KEMET, the land of black soil. What does the word Egypt mean, when did it come into use.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
the original name for Egypt is KEMET, the land of black soil. What does the word Egypt mean, when did it come into use.

When westerners discovered it!
Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, its from the Greek.
Here is one description, although there are others.

The name "Egypt" is believed to have come from the original name of Egypt's ancient capital Memphis, "Hout ka-Ptah," meaning "Castle of the ka of Ptah." This name was often used even for the country as a whole.
The name came to be shortened and slightly transformed. Considering the original consonants h-t-k-p-t (pronounced), the three latter survived into respectively "k-p-t", "q-p-t" or "g-p-t." This was rendered into the Greek, 'Aegyptus', and later English: Egypt.
The name of Egypt during ancient times, especially the Old Kingdom, was, however Kemet, meaning "Black land." This referred to the fertile soil of the Nile valley. Sometimes an opposite denotation was applied; Deshret, meaning "Red land." This referred to the desert, which also back then was the dominant landscape of the Egyptian territory.
Today, the national name for Egypt is Misr, which comes from Arabic, and means simply "land" or "fortress", referring to the earliest Arabic settlements on Egyptian soil, located south of what would become Cairo.

(from lexicorient.com)

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I believe I have read that the name Egypt comes before a king called Egyptous and afterwards it was called upon egyptian copts and in greek aegyptous and afterwards Egypt.
but what queenbee posts seems very convincing, I also read that the word chemistry comes from kemet because of the famous chemists that was in ancient Egypt and chemistry stuff they used for mummification

Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting stuff

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My husband (Egyptian) says Egypt comes from the word Qebt which means 'Christian', and that's because all of the Egyptians were Christians after the religion spread. Most all of Egyptians were Christians. Egypt means Qebt.

[Smile]
p.s. The word Kemet is a hieroglyphic for land of black soil.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

My husband (Egyptian) says Egypt comes from the word Qebt which means 'Christian', and that's because all of the Egyptians were Christians after the religion spread. Most all of Egyptians were Christians. Egypt means Qebt.

[Smile]
p.s. The word Kemet is a hieroglyphic for land of black soil.

The above is not correct.

Egypt is a greek word derived from Ai-gypt-ios which is the Ptolemic era Greek distortion of Het-Ka-Ptah, meaning - house - spirit - ptah - house of the spirit ptah.

Kemet is a native word meaning Black, a noun.

It is not a two word phrase and cannot be translated to 'black land'.

The word for soil or land in medew netchter is Ta or ateb.

Here is and example of the use of Kemet in coptic Egyptian from the Coptic Bible, and therefore and answer from Egyptians:

coptic: Anok dé ang ou Kemet...Je ang ou Kemet anok.

english: But as for me I am a Black...that I am a Black, I am.

The ancient Egyptians called their nation Black, they called their people Blacks, the called individual Egyptians Black, and they made specific references to black skin.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ever it means does anyone think its about time and why egypt move to the future like many other arab countries have
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com