EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Is Islam Misunderstood in America?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Islam Misunderstood in America?
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mocking bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAIR propaganda on "Islamophobia" spread by VOA
Islam has a negative image all because of American ignorance, you see.

Is Islam Misunderstood in America?
By Mohamed Elshinnawi
Washington, DC
24 May 2006

A new survey of U.S. public attitudes toward Muslim-Americans and Islam finds that a majority of Americans -- 55 percent -- regard Muslim-Americans favorably, but that smaller numbers - only 41 percent -- have favorable impressions of Islam as a religion. The study by the Washington, D.C.-based Pew Research Center indicates that many Americans perceive a link between Islam and violence, with more than one in three saying Islam is more likely than other religions to encourage violence among its believers. Experts on Islamic-American relations believe such negative views stem from American ignorance of Islamic culture.

Muslims and Islamic culture have long been an integral part of American society. But today, almost years after the 9/11 attacks by radical Islamists and the start of America's war on terror, many Americans associate Islam with violence and extremism....

The Washington, DC-based Pew Research Center did a more scientific survey. Gregory Smith, who co-authored the study say, "Only about four in 10 say they have favorable views of Islam, and there is also a minority of the public - but a substantial minority, about one third in our survey last summer - who say that they are concerned that Islam encourages violence among its believers."

American Muslim leaders blame the US news media for generating what Nihad Awad, Executive Director of the Council for American Islamic Relations calls "Islamophobia".

"The kind of coverage that the American audience has been receiving about Islam and Muslims leads one to just one conclusion, that Islam is bad and Muslims are violent," he said. "The media has failed to capture the reality of the Muslim world and only focused on the actions of the few."

Charles Johnson puts it well:

The “actions of the few” include those of CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad himself, who during a 1994 speech at Florida’s Barry University stated, “I am in support of the Hamas movement.”

This Voice of America article, like almost all mainstream media pieces that cite the Council on American-Islamic Relations, doesn’t bother to mention Nihad Awad’s statement supporting a genocidal terrorist group. Mainstream media also think you don’t need to know that at least five of CAIR’s employees and board members have been arrested, convicted, deported, or otherwise linked to terrorism-related charges and activities.

But oddly enough, even though the media are keeping us ignorant of these facts, Americans seem to have increasingly negative opinions about Islam. Go figure!
http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-05-24-voa33.cfm

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the people I know, including many liberals, view Islam as an extreme religion that is contrary to our value system in the west.
Some think that many mulsims are down right nuts. This image is created by terror attacks and suicide bombers and an unreasonable position on peace with Israel.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mocking bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If journalists, politicians and intellectuals are actively trying to improve the image of Islam, then how is it possible that people still remain "ignorant" about Islam's peaceful nature? I guess it's just very, very difficult to try to put a positive spin on the non-stop terrorism, violence and oppression.

I wonder why people aren't ignorant of Buddhist culture. I doubt that the average American or European has detailed knowledge of Buddhism (quite a few people think that Buddha is a deity), so information or the lack of it can't be the reason why people don't feel that Buddhism is a violent religion. There's no campaign to convince people of the fact that Buddhism is peaceful, yet people still think it is peaceful. Maybe there's no such campaign because there's no need for it. Buddhists have never given anyone any reason to regard them with suspicion, largely because they haven't flown airplanes into buildings, conducted genocide or caused civil unrest and chaos in European cities while making veiled and not so veiled threats againts anyone who disagrees with them. "Prejudice" and stereotypes don't just appear out of nowhere, there are clearly reasons why Muslims are regarded with suspicion, why Islam is considered to be a violent religion, and why Buddhism is seen as benevolent. The Media has nothing to do with it.

“Muslims and Islamic culture have long been an integral part of American society.”

I agree with this, they are "integral". They keep the security services employed and occasionally provide free building demolition. Islam's biggest contribution to American culture is that big hole in the ground in New York City where the World Trade Center used to be.

Long been part? Let's see . . .

Let me think some more . . .recallAmerica's War with the Barbary Pirates ,(the one which established the U.S. Navy and Marines), which won its first war against jihad terrorism in the early 1800s. . . yup, they've had a part in that too. http://www.victoryintripoli.com/

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MB.... why did you delete the park royal burger king thread?

and no... islam is not misunderstood..... everyone knows perfectly well its an extreme religion that will ruin your life and most probably take someone else's.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islam does not have a peaceful nature.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Come to think of it Christianity was the same way also, but I think the Age of Enlightenment calmed it down.

Perhaps that's what the Arab-Islamic world needs-- an Age of Enlightenment?...

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^^Come to think of it Christianity was the same way also, but I think the Age of Enlightenment calmed it down.

Perhaps that's what the Arab-Islamic world needs-- an Age of Enlightenment?...

martin luther suggested acttually reading the bible...

I think muslims allready read the quran

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but the problem is that some Muslims interpret Koran to the extreme!
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddahism is not free from extremist either. In Sri Lanka many of the Buddahist groups in the past have used the same techniques as many extremist Islamic groups. Many sects of Buddahist exist from Thervada to Tibetan[which has non-Buddahist traditions intermingled].
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, but the problem is that some Muslims interpret Koran to the extreme!

acctually, if you think about it...(beside one being the original)

islam isn't much different than judisum, before Christ.

both had a problem with pork,both beleived in a bunch of disposable wifes,both have no problem stoneing people, I mean the list is long..heck both try to deny Christs divinity..

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
Most of the people I know, including many liberals, view Islam as an extreme religion that is contrary to our value system in the west.
Some think that many mulsims are down right nuts. This image is created by terror attacks and suicide bombers and an unreasonable position on peace with Israel.

You are the stereotype of average redneck. I would accept a reply from ignorant old man as your self.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
multi, I represent the views of the vast majority of Americans on that issue. We are doing pretty well for a bunch of rednecks, wouldn't you say.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Buddahism is not free from extremist either. In Sri Lanka many of the Buddahist groups in the past have used the same techniques as many extremist Islamic groups. Many sects of Buddahist exist from Thervada to Tibetan[which has non-Buddahist traditions intermingled].

You are correct Ausar! In fact Buddhism's introduction to Tibet and Southeast Asia by missionaries was no different from Christian missionaries. They demonized the native religions of the peoples in those areas and persecuted those who did not accept the Buddhist beliefs!

All in all it just comes to show that all major religions of the world are not as 'peaceful' as they claim to be, including Bhuddism!

multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
multi, I represent the views of the vast majority of Americans on that issue. We are doing pretty well for a bunch of rednecks, wouldn't you say.

Well that explains why rest of the world views Americans as ignorant brainwashed puppets. It not somthing to be proud of.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Sure it is multi, we would rather be feared than respected if that is the choice. Besides , the creeps can't wait to catch the first boat to the west while they are dissing us. When some sand flea infested hole in the map does not have two quarters to rub together screw what they think. We just want them to jump when that American bayonet sticks them in the butt.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that must be remembered is that North America including the US is a big place with lots of people.

Of course there are ignorant folks who misunderstand Islam and in fact have never even heard of the religion until 9-11!! Such folks are especially the red-necks who you've heard about attaking anyone with a headwrap regardless of whether they were Muslim or not during 9-11.

But as a proud American, I assure you that not all of us are as ignorant as you think!!

There are Muslim communities here in my home state and around my city that are doing fine and thriving. Many Muslims here find life in America to be even better than in Europe where nations there are so secular the natives are immoral and degenerate!

The better question would be is America misunderstood by Muslims??

If any of you Muslims live here, I'm sure you find life easier in the US than in France where they seem to be bothered by women wearing hijabs.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
You will find it great unless there is another 9/11 level attack. All bets are off at that point. Most Americans do not have a positive view of islam to start with. Its a good situation for the muslims that are here now but it could change very quickly.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Sure it is multi, we would rather be feared than respected if that is the choice...

America isn't nor should be a 'Prince' or crime lord, so cut it with the Machiavellian nonsense.

There is a third choice and that is to us BOTH in moderation. We must earn respect and trust by giving both to others yet at the same time give them a little yet quite deserved fear in that we don't play around.

quote:
...Besides, the creeps can't wait to catch the first boat to the west while they are dissing us. When some sand flea infested hole in the map does not have two quarters to rub together screw what they think. We just want them to jump when that American bayonet sticks them in the butt.
This I agree. There are so many fools out there who carry this love-hate relationship. They hate our culture and everything it represents yet they love our money and social freedom-- and the freedom to the point where impose their ways upon us.

Quite the paradox, don't you think? [Wink]

mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
While Europe Slept
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Well, I think everybody hates the big guy. Its always been that way. I'm sure the brits, Romans, Greeks and Egyptians before us got the same reaction to one extent or the other.
hell, its that way in sports as well. If someone wins too much half the population begins to hate them.

Mockingbird, The reason for that is that America has a different tradition than Europeans when it comes to immigrants. American has always just absorbed one group after another. They all get caught up in the dominant culture in a couple of generations. Fifty years from now the Muslims that are here will be like methodists.
Europe on the other hand is quite different. A german is a German and a mulim from the middle east can never really be one. They tie their ethnic, racial and cultyral aspects up into one big package, we do not. I do not think the way they look at it is particulary bad however.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

You will find it great unless there is another 9/11 level attack. All bets are off at that point. Most Americans do not have a positive view of islam to start with. Its a good situation for the muslims that are here now but it could change very quickly.

Which is why I think the Muslim community here in America should do more to denounce the atrocities carried out by their Islamic brethren. The Muslim American Society is a joke in that they get worked up and bent out of shape for insignificant insults or "injustices" done to Muslims no matter how small or even unreal, yet they are silent on the atrocities committed by their Muslim brothers!!

If this keeps up, there will only be a backlash against them.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
yeah, we agree on that, they should do more. Lets just hope there is not another major attack.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Hindus have their fundamentalist terrorists as well. It just doesn't get reported in the Western press that much.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
In fact we already see this kind of mentality among Muslims from other countries as well like with this example in the UK.

Some people happen to notice that a Burger King image happens to bear somewhat of a resemblance to the Arabic word for God and they go crazy!

Muslims (and others) think that the rights and freedoms of living in the West means being treated like untouchable sacred cows so to speak!

Hate to break it but they are NOT special. Muslims will and should be treated no different from Christians, Bhuddists, and Hindus.

[Embarrassed] When the next terrorist attack comes, and I pray it won't these sacred cows will be made into hamburgers!

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

Hindus have their fundamentalist terrorists as well. It just doesn't get reported in the Western press that much.

Of course it doesn't get as much coverage because Muslim terrorists are the most prominent terrorist, let alone religous based terrorists in the world right now!!

You don't hear about Hindus flying planes into buildings, blowing up embassies, blowing themselves up in crowded markets, etc. do you?!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course it doesn't get as much coverage because Muslim terrorists are the most prominent terrorist, let alone religous based terrorists in the world right now!!

You don't hear about Hindus flying planes into buildings, blowing up embassies, blowing themselves up in crowded markets, etc. do you?!

Well they don't blow up *western* buildings and embassies....but they sure do wreak havoc on Muslims in India. Check out what happened in Gujarat.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
A pig caused hundreds of Indians to kill one another in 1980. The animal walked through a Muslim holy ground at Moradabad, near New Delhi. Muslims, who think pigs are an embodiment of Satan, blamed Hindus for the defilement. They went on a murder rampage, stabbing and clubbing Hindus, who retaliated in kind. The pig riot spread to a dozen cities and left more than 200 dead.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Well they don't blow up *western* buildings and embassies....but they sure do wreak havoc on Muslims in India. Check out what happened in Gujarat.

True. But again their attacks are not as prominent and widespread and I don't just mean against Westerners.

There are Muslim terrorists in Russia, Indonesia, and the Philippines!

mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Buddhism does not believe in using war or terrorism to further its cause and does not persecute former Buddhists who have changed their religion.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mocking bird:

A pig caused hundreds of Indians to kill one another in 1980. The animal walked through a Muslim holy ground at Moradabad, near New Delhi. Muslims, who think pigs are an embodiment of Satan, blamed Hindus for the defilement. They went on a murder rampage, stabbing and clubbing Hindus, who retaliated in kind. The pig riot spread to a dozen cities and left more than 200 dead.

^Which comes to show how sick and depraved folks can be with their religous zealousness. Aren't pigs considered unclean by Hindus also?? [Roll Eyes]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mocking bird:

Buddhism does not believe in using war or terrorism to further its cause and does not persecute former Buddhists who have changed their religion.

You're right about that, but in the past it still persecuted other faiths and peoples who practiced it. What happened to the indigenous matriarchal religions of Tibet? Why are women no longer allowed to climb mountains which queens made pilgrimages to since they were considered the embodiments of female deities and the mountains their homes?
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes... an for EU too [Frown] sad but trueeeeeee
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Origins of Fundamentalist Terrorism

The term “fundamentalism” originated from the 1920s Protestant movement in America guided by five “fundamentals”: the absolute truth and literal word of the Bible; the Virgin Birth of Jesus; Jesus’ resurrection; the "supernatural" atonement of Christ's blood forgiving sins, and the authenticity of the Gospel miracles. Fundamentalism is predicated on the beliefs that these are the only truths, and that disbelievers are an evil that must be fought. Using this template the Muwahhadin (commonly known outside of the Middle East as “Wahhabi”) of Saudi Arabia are no more “fundamental” than millions of American Christians today. William Kristol wrote, “Muslim fundamentalists regard the Koran – every word of it – as God’s own language” as if this were unique to followers of Islam. Of course most Muslims believe such: “Qu’ran” literally means “Recitation” (from God).

Today it is estimated that there are at least 25,000 followers of Al Qaeda globally, primarily from Pakistan and Egypt. There are 1.3 billion Muslims across the world. If Al Qaeda members represent 0.002% of the entire Muslim population it would require a membership growth up to 13 million Osama bin Laden supporters before Al Qaeda had just 1% of all Muslims under his sway.

By contrast, 11%, or 660 million, people throughout the entire world call themselves “evangelical Christians”. According to a recent Gallop poll, 42% of Americans call themselves evangelical. Evangelical (from the Greek “euangelion”, meaning good news of Jesus) can be identified by four components: conversion, or a belief that lives need to be changed; the interpretation that all truth is to be found within the Bible; activism, in that all believers are dedicated to the service of God; and crucicentrism, the belief that Jesus Christ’s death represents atonement for ones’ sins. Daily more than one million people watch the most popular religious leader in America, far right wing Evangelical Reverend Pat Robertson’s “700 Club” television program, donating $100 million per year to support his message. And that message is a warning of the danger of the “warlike” Islam, Islam the mechanism for “Satan's plan to prevent the return of Jesus Christ the Lord”, with the Prophet Mohammed a “wild-eyed fanatic, robber and brigand”. On October 10th, 2004 Robertson threatened George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden both in the same breath: Speaking from Jerusalem on behalf of God, Robertson claimed: “God says, 'I'm going to judge those who carve up the West Bank and Gaza Strip!” , lest any US president have any fanciful notions about returning the Occupied Territories to their former owners. Robertson guaranteed that he will form a third political party taking millions of Evangelical Christian American voters with him. (Robertson ran for president of the United States in 1988.) These relatively new “Zionist Christians” fervently back America’s support for Israel as a precursor to the biblical “end of times” The Reverend also put Osama bin Laden on notice that he must not “frustrate God's plan" to have Jews rule the Holy Land until the Second Coming of Jesus.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic:

Is Islam Misunderstood in America?

In my opinion No

Because of what's going on in the Sudan and other parts of Africa radical Islam is being consider a oppressive religion.

Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
I'd say islam is a misunderstanding.

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti,

Actually it was the Tamils who prefected the suicide attacks! Ghandi (son) was killed by a Tamil.
The Tameelam struggle continues! in Sri Lanka!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

True. But again their attacks are not as prominent and widespread and I don't just mean against Westerners.

There are Muslim terrorists in Russia, Indonesia, and the Philippines!

Terrorism takes different forms and unfortunatly we tend to concentrate on the form which media focus on, how many Qaeda killed compared to that of Christians in a country like Rwanda? how many Terrorists in Russia killed and how many Russian terrorists in the dressing as soldiers and killing civilians ?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^True, true. Although in Rawanda's case, it wasn't just terrorism but genocide. Speaking of which, the same is going on in Sudan right now even though the victims of the Muslim perpetrators are also Muslims!!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com