EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Verdict on Egyptian press freedom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Verdict on Egyptian press freedom
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Verdict on Egyptian press freedom

It's no secret that the Egyptian regime has been cracking down on the free press and political activism for a while now - the incarceration of bloggers, the assaults on working journalists, the trial of the judges, arrests of Muslim Brothers and Kefaya activists. Yesterday Wa'il al-Abrashi, editor of Egypt's Sawt al-Umma, told al-Quds al-Arabi that he expected a guilty verdict in his trial over his paper's coverage of electoral fraud (he published a "black list" of judges alleged to have been on the take). Kefaya activists protested the trial forcefully, even as Egyptian security forces kept large numbers of people away from it. Reports that the court has decided to postpone a verdict until September may be a small victory for Egypt's press and for its activist movements. An acquittal which affirmed the rights of a free press to pursue investigative journalism about official corruption - that would be even better.

But then I was bowled over by this al-Jazeera show discussing a draft law in the Egyptian Parliament to "combat rumours." The law, proposed by a member of Mubarak's NDP, would create a special unit assigned to combat the spread of "false information". The Egyptian Press Syndicate sees this as criminalizing dissent, a fairly obvious and rather draconian step to clamp down on investigative journalism and any kind of critical reporting (remember - the trials of the Sawt al-Umma journalists and the two judges were both over their public discussion of electoral fraud). Egyptian NDP Parliamentarian Hisham Mustafa Khalil defended the draft law as necessary to protect national security and the Egyptian economy. He argued that the existing laws didn't suffice to protect against the grave threat posed by rumours. Gamal Fahmi of Egypt's Press Syndicate could barely contain himself, pointing out the obvious ways in which such a law would stifle all public discourse - since the government would be the one to decide what was or wasn't a "rumour." A constitutional law expert from Cairo described the draft law as completely unconstitutional.

As I've said many times, press freedom and freedom of speech are areas where the United States can and should take a strong and uncompromising stance. Newspapers like the daily al-Masri al-Youm and tabloids like al-Dustour and Sawt al-Umma which have been carving out space for dissent and contentious politics are the lifeblood of any real hope for democratic progress. Even if it can't realistically force a Mubarak to allow himself to be voted out of office, the US should be able to demand that its allies respect core values such as human rights and freedom of speech - especially at a time when Egypt's aid package is sort of, kind of, open for discussion. If Egypt actually passed a law like this, it would make a complete mockery of America's democracy talk - again.

http://abuaardvark.typepad.com/abuaardvark/2006/06/verdict_on_egyp.html

The draft law on combating rumors in Egypt
Seminar by : The Master
Seminar guests :
- Hisham Mustafa / member of the Egyptian parliament
- Gamal Fahmi / Member of the Egyptian Press Syndicate
- Essam Al-Islamboli expert on legal and constitutional
Workshop Date : 15 / 6 / 2006

- The objective of the law against rumours
- The implications of the law on freedoms in Egypt

The Master : Welcome to you, try in a day to learn what behind a new bill in Egypt penalized the spreading rumors and calls for the establishment of a combat-ready. posing in the Tsa'elin two Is the new project aims to codify the free circulation of information, or to restrain? What are the repercussions for the future of the process of political reform and democratization in Egypt? The Committee of the Egyptian People's Assembly a draft law to combat rumors had rejected the Press Syndicate in Egypt this project submitted by deputy Hisham Mostafa Khalil is a member of the People's Assembly The union bill was considered under a new setback to freedom of opinion and freedom of the press in the country.

The objective of the law against rumours

[Report of the Registrar]

Lina Algdban : an extensive controversy raised a new bill submitted by a Vice-Governor and the National Democratic Party is still waiting to be presented to the Egyptian People's Assembly The draft law calls for establishing a special counter-rumours and face their negative effects has identified the project concept rumours that they say or act which is not founded on facts or hard evidence that threaten the security or stability of the community or threaten national security and propose a draft law that punishes anyone prove that behind the manufacture, promotion or favouring any common imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year and a fine of not less than 1,000 pounds. The bill provides that followed the combat rumors Presidency of the Republic, the President and Vice-him and the nine members of the public figures and experts in various fields, once approved by the Commission on complaints and suggestions Parliament on the draft law as a prelude to a vote at a plenary meeting hastened Press Syndicate, T. now waging a decisive battle to abolish imprisonment in publishing cases rushed to declare their rejection of the project.

Yehia Qalash secretary-general of Journalists Syndicate : You communities Ptftekd free circulation of information and thus the common part of the culture of these communities and therefore what you are Ptvker Act meant project Xie Li advance by a Deputy National Party means that you mean Petrja freedom of expression in Egypt past century.

Lina Algdban : included Egyptian human rights organizations joined the Association of Journalists in the rejection of this project, considering that it was an additional constraint on the freedom of opinion and expression; Lina Algdban the Overseas news, Gezira, Cairo.

The Master : and with me from Cairo to discuss the topic, Dr. Hisham Mostafa Khalil, a member of parliament from the ruling National Democratic Party, Gamal Fahmi, a member of the Press Syndicate and Egyptian telephone from Cairo also Essam Al-Islamboli expert legal and constitutional Welcome to you all and never with Dr. Hisham in Cairo and you from the Deputy in the Parliament is the law, the need for a special organ in Egypt to combat rumors?

Hisham Mostafa Khalil-member parliament : we need apparatus in Egypt. This system came from the following idea. First Talaat in Egypt common water pollution, commonly milk powder! Children and other common Talat Hasan polio vaccine Talat commonplace that Flatter renal dialysis. Several rumors. All these rumours have in the Egyptian economy, and affect the objective of the creation of this organ is the organ I Bibqi Petje him all the information, no one in doubt that the spread of walking Ekelmeh possible. This system where power is then that ministers, the organs on them, ask them about any spread fortune it does not have any other goal than that. His goal is.

The Master : Good Doctor ask you if allowed Dr. Hisham. Mean Atsal Egyptian laws do not provide enough to combat rumors without the need for special device?

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : In fact what I did as a personal view that the possible given the ordinary Egyptian citizen recourse if signed puzzled uniforms and what we faced water pollution, I have been any? The messages to telephone people are the Tcherbuch water from the Nile because the Nile water contaminated, Any received after his hard hit? All the people lost their mineral water bought from shops for three days.

The Master : The Good Doctor takes this. Perhaps we mean the same idea, but let me turn to Mr. Gamal Fahmy, arose rebellious journalists and that the wave of freedom of the press in general, talking Dr. As you an author of this project deals with the phenomenon of what he wants to control so as not to disturb security, the economy and other things?

Gamal Fahmi-Member of the Egyptian Press Syndicate : Let me say that meant what he said, Mr. Attorney esteemed fact does not convince anyone it is an attempt. Mean between naive I mean at least to justify the desire to develop km mouths inventing something that did not really match the one in the whole world is in the east and west. The idea spread to this definition as loose, I really have no meaning even in the phrases used in the formulation of the project according to what was published in newspapers.

The Master : What Thafzatkm Sayed Jamal?

Gamal Fahmi : mean incompatible logic even legislation, Yes, I say that I want my basic issue is that a society that rose up to demand freedom and democracy in the heart of freedom of expression, Does the government and the ruling party, represented by the esteemed Mr. Attorney. Does he seriously wants to respond or to impose more restrictions? For example, you say in this project, but favoured the spread. I do not understand any of the favoured means spreading? For example, my understanding is promoted spreading, What is then the diffusion originally? I mean what I say, Mr. Attorney esteemed had already gone to Israel. This piece of information, how proven? This piece of information is recognized and acknowledged, I may not possess them Msendat. may not possess the Master [saying] : Good Sayed Jamal mean really draws attention. Gamal Fahmi [the following] : evidence that the sense of identity.

But in general science

The Master : You are a good draw attention to the important question is a legal term and legal idea, Mr. Essam Al-Islamboli legal and constitutional expert from Cairo, How do you view this issue and the problem of defining the term, followed by machinery and the laws and penalties so mean? " Draft combat rumors is a new blow to democracy in Egypt, and whenever we want to make reform came from a strike this reform "

Essam Al-Islamboli Essam Al-Islamboli-legal expert and constitutional-Cairo : First let me say that the draft of such a project is a new blow to democracy in Egypt, it appears that he had written to the echo whenever we want reform will come from gives us a striking this reform as had been done in the past. They say more democratic means.

The Master [saying] : Professor Isam we turned to you and you expert legal and constitutional We want to refer specifically to the legality and constitutionality of such a project.

Essam Al-Islamboli : First this project is in total and completely contradicts with the Constitution, Constitution includes the freedom of opinion and expression and freedom of thought and can not in any way sense to say that such a bill would not be inconsistent with these things.

The Master : Oh, but the draft master Essam talking about rumors damaging the security and economy and the policy of meeting the country's everything, not talking about freedom.

Essam Al-Islamboli : We have in the Penal Code Egyptian section of the offences damaging the security of the State of the interior and includes a full rumors about the circulating rumours about the damage being inflicted on the community by these rumours and sign penalties on the offender. the need for a new draft that would contain language other. Disciplined.

The Master : Let me Professor Issam means apologized to viewers for the poor sound from the source, Dr. Hisham heard this as well as many reservations there. Means representative of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Parliament said that the law may limit freedom of expression, meant to the state, Even though official bodies on this issue, You deputy in the parliament is supposed to mean support the process of reform and freedoms shall not be an obstacle in the draft and addressed.

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : I am one with more freedom and more simultaneously with the reform, and one with more freedom of opinion and more with the freedom of journalists and what they have to say, everything is subject to an incorrect understanding of the project, it was not intended to restrict freedoms and absolutely no restriction. It is none of this is intended as never mentioned Dear Brothers, I know that there is a full chapter in the Penal Code with penalties. I really did not intend at all. Where the intention of Egyptian citizen found a place to explore sound information, no more and no less because no one can defend press freedom and the freedom of this country more than ...

The Master : Dr. Essam Mr. Luck said that the laws already in the fight against such an issue, You are talking about the special powers of a very important means to be followed by the Presidency of the Republic, Why precisely such an approach would mean the Presidency?

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : Specifically, the presidency follow that person because I would be at the top of the device is where freedom and strength. For example, the Binga creating vaccine children or water, Min Li estimated explore in the interest of water company water Btaetha they were not not? Min Li appreciates the analyses Btaetha? I estimate of the radio, television and reassure people? Each goal was the establishment of this body is the goal of tranquility Egyptian citizen and increase citizen confidence in the Egyptian government, not totally against the freedoms versa.

The Master : Let me Doctor. This is clearly a good Doctor, Mr. Gamal Fahmi This means talking too comfortable? Only mean believes that reassuring you journalists? Or talking about freedoms.

Gamal Fahmi : I mean I want my truth. Speaking mean in the face of Mr. MP that from the outset has taken this project seriously, I think it is simply a rule of the Attorney esteemed toys regrettably role of the device to detonate a bomb smoke engaged discussing it. What I mean enough to him. What you kindly refer to him off the delegate of the Ministry of the Interior. Delegate of the Ministry of the Interior Paul officer at the Ministry of Interior representative in the People's Assembly to consider this project under the freedom of expression. Enough of this, I feel that it is not serious, is a smoke bomb meant to pass the law they consider bad now. Prepared by the NDP government, which is represented by the Attorney-respected and prepared to circumvent the requirement of the Egyptian people to launch more freedom of expression, particularly with regard to what has become known, or on behalf of imprisonment in publishing cases, Woman is our inventions Vengeri behind bad law transforming the hope that they will. Mean something to tell them it is very bad when I think that the whole earth is just Ballon, is just a smoke bomb and will not exceed more than one stage to be approved by the committee of the Parliament, I Bisitar regrettably ruling party deputies in a manner that will not allow this parliament as the parliament, the Commission approves the bill this anomaly. Mean we do not have enough time to transfer the other viewers texts. Drafting a very wonderful and very anomaly contained in the present law which restricts the right to compete, too. But I Baetekad is simply a smoke bomb.

The Master : Syed Jamal also examine the implications of this law. Act against rumours and its impacts on the future of the march of political and democratic reform in general in Egypt, which is the focus of the second part of the seminar. Mshahdina follow with our guests and after a short pause ensuring us. [watershed announcement] The repercussions of the law of freedoms in Egypt

The Master : Welcome to you again. As we have previously considered the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights and the equal status of human rights and anti-discrimination. Viewed the draft law on combating rumors a step further restrict freedoms and a new setback to freedom of opinion and expression, on the one hand, and the march of political and democratic reform on the other hand, Is it indeed? Sayed Al-Islamboli come back to you, does that mean. Is if approval of such a project would create a legal and judicial crisis because the number of defendants may be greater than one would expect?

Essam Al-Islamboli : Well, First is what Xie said that there was a section in the law Benzem Bijerm this crime and this is a specific and specifications means clear in the law and has been stable for many years, The second truth is that if there are rumors from time to time his delegation had two reasons. The first reason is the lack of transparency in the information, the information in a very difficult Petsel, the sense that any piece of information they want to see documented or find it very difficult, although the Press Law, which was issued ten years ago Act 96 of 1996. This law included requiring the creation of the Cabinet Office Itzid information or impairs or take some journalists correct information. This office does not exist and is not therefore always at the discretion of Biqbi and in the transfer of news and not merely the goal of which is to promote the goal of rumours, The other is that the texts provided include language and broad and unclear and the Constitutional Court established the constitutionality of the rules is very important that any impermissible criminally should be clear, specific and clear. as any? You mean, for example, says that any act or statement is contrary to facts.

The Master : Good Professor Issam this clear, I mean truly want to quote Braik mean much but the problem may sound Taqina or slightly farther alone, Returning to Dr. Hisham Mustafa, the real problem is as stated by Mr. Issam that in the country there is a ban on information. The circulation of information and therefore instead of the face. Means to create transparency in the handling and circulation of information about the country's fight means of talking and trying to explain or nothing. You mean possible to prosecute half of the Egyptian people, meant for the coffee Everyone speaks in everything, the representative of the Doctor.

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : Oh, OK I really say Lsiadtk need Bakool brotherhood Boi I need is very important. This law I would advance me objective economic and public awareness and sensitize the Egyptian citizen, I am another one of the uniforms said Lhoudrtk be against the freedoms I am either here I find myself that I would be an obstacle to journalists, I do not find myself that I would be an impediment to the freedoms Vlazm re-consider, I am not one to impose frankly that I relegated my law restricting the freedom of journalists, not one imposed on the party that I am relegated to the law, I would like to say Lhoudrtk need brotherhood journalists I assure myself I have every respect and appreciate each and everything. I will introduce this Act to withdraw immediately from the people, will only help the formation of the Egyptian citizen to ascertain the truth and must be confirmed by the fact anything, If you came to Pentek Tivoed and Hadash know one school, creating a de Hiklmwa Min Min and ask? His aim is, I scored Egyptian citizen, not scored against freedoms, I am one with more freedom and more one Baqv with journalists and more one loves his country and loves goodness democratic country, I scored is the Egyptian citizen, I'm restricting freedoms goals.

The Master : behind. Ask Dr.

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : if abused understanding means they remain ill-understood.

The Master : Good behind ask Gamal Fahmi.

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : not read the law at all.

The Master : Mr. Jamal mean Dr. confirms that the matter purely technical and nothing to do with the freedoms, you mean perhaps airspace, or the atmosphere of resentment in general created a sensitivity in dealing with particular mean that some time ago we talked about anti-terrorism laws and the laws existing contingency list originally may mean that the sensitivity in your interaction m you with the law. " Shortest way to combat rumors is transparency, freedoms and the release of information is available and the removal of restrictions on freedom of expression and press freedom " Gamal Fahmy

Gamal Fahmi : Mr. Attorney meant to mean if I was honest with the announcement from the rostrum of the island that will withdraw this law abnormal and I repeat that isolated, I commend him on this step but as deputies of the people asking him to address the defence of freedoms and that instead of a security or another professional body fights rumors. As there is no preferred friend Professor Essam Al-Islamboli no. As a shorter way to fight rumors is transparency, freedoms and the release of information is available and to remove restrictions on the freedoms of expression and freedom of the press saw not only the shortest way to kill evil, but the promotion. Advancement of society and I hope that he associated himself with the effort to include the Egyptian nationalist movement as a whole, Egyptian society as a whole effort to launch full freedom in the community rather than circumvent the demands of journalists, judges and the demands of the Egyptian people in free elections and the circulation of power. All of this is promoting and advancing our Arab peoples, not organs, not police action to the end of this speech.

The Master : The only point Professor Jamal mean that I think that Mr. MP has pledged to withdraw the project, Dr. Do I have something like this?

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : Oh, I referred to this, I pledge to withdraw the project because I am a man of national Sadik, I support the freedoms and the freedom of expression, with journalists, I'm against the end, I scored. The goals of the Egyptian citizen, if misinterpreted the law and if it does not read the law very well, I'm Hakhch in any conflict with. Against freedom, but on the contrary I had my positions in the Parliament Act in custody. All applications submitted by Anna Li. I would offer more freedom in the law of custody, but I'm his hard story. I am I want my device to protect the citizen's rumors, but if it offends understandable for journalists I meant to remove misunderstanding thereof. If the penalty had to keep journalists needed Ashilha and I want my else I need to reassure the Egyptian citizen. The rumours of a certain call, the call information, to keep them to a point of the Egyptian citizen explore the information seized.

The Master : Doctor mean.

Hisham Mostafa Khalil : But freedoms Btaatta country.

The Master : I echo literary and this means something good initiative really means, we must say, Mr. Jamal in the remaining time to one minute.

Gamal Fahmi : I pay tribute on behalf of the Press Syndicate.

The Master : I think it is good that the seminar had ended problem and this is something good.

Gamal Fahmi : Because I mean I try tribute Attorney respected.

The Master : But I want to comment last Syed Jamal.

Gamal Fahmi : I invite him to stand with freedoms.

The Master : I want to comment on the impact of the latter.

Gamal Fahmi : Yes, I salute. Repeat.

The Master : mean to the overall atmosphere, Now there is a state of resentment and there is a means or desire to pay for political reform, things may be compared with or in contradiction with the meaning of these demands.

Gamal Fahmi : Yes, I mean this tribute to repeat what I said exactly what I said in relation to this question precisely, I repeat my tribute to the Attorney-respected and inviting him and other members to join. If they already represent the Egyptian people, I wish to join this to the demands of freedom and ... And to stand against any legislation that diminishes the right of the Egyptian people to liberty and democracy, particularly since this session before it during the days of a law on freedom of the press is responsible for Rsmith.

The Master : Yes Syed Jamal.

Gamal Fahmi : imprisonment in publishing cases, I ask to be joined to the freedoms Thank you.

The Master : Good Sayed Jamal Fahmi member Egyptian Press Syndicate, Dr. Hesham Khalil Mustafa, a member of parliament from the ruling National Democratic Party was also on the phone with Mr. Essam Al-Islamboli and constitutional law expert. They were from Cairo, Thank you all, ended a day of the programme beyond the news supervised Nizar El-Naim Daw, You can always contribute to the selection of topics for seminars by sending e-mail indepth@aljazeer.net. Thank you, tomorrow, God willing, in the new reading beyond the news again, to the meeting.

Source : Island

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you on freedom of the press but in Egypt and a few other places the government has a real problem. These muslims nuts do not favor freedom of the press unless they gain from it and they do not favor democratic government.
Its like an outbreak of cancer and it has to be dealt with harshly if we are to have any level of acceptable human rights in Egypt. I support democratic government but until these lunatics are dealt with it probably will not be possible.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumbula
Member # 11110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumbula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

these muslims nuts do not favor freedom of the press unless they gain from it
quote:

ummm, hello, those "muslim nuts" are also affected by egypts lack of freedom of speech. it doesnt have to with the muslims, it has to do with the politicians and their own interests.
Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its has everything to do with 'extreme' muslims. You cannot have a democratic government with the freedoms that go with it unless most of the people buy into it. You also cannot have a free society with religion involved in government in ANY way. Religion is a personal matter and should not be a civic consideration.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
freedom of religion, not freedom from religion

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumbula
Member # 11110

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sumbula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its has everything to do with 'extreme' muslims. You cannot have a democratic government with the freedoms that go with it unless most of the people buy into it. You also cannot have a free society with religion involved in government in ANY way. Religion is a personal matter and should not be a civic consideration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but egypts problems are not because of a religious idealogy. its not iran, its not saudi arabia. if it were, i doubt that such slutty movies and videos would be able to pass censorship.Its a corrupt wanna be democracy, other third world countries which do not have muslim populations have the same problems.

Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt journalists sentenced for 'insulting president'

Mon Jun 26, 11:24 AM ET

CAIRO (AFP) - Two journalists from an independent Egyptian weekly have each been given a year in jail for reporting on a complaint accusing President
Hosni Mubarak of misusing government money.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Giza criminal court found Al-Dustour chief editor Ibrahim Issa and reporter Sahar Zaki guilty of "insulting and harming the president of the republic and the people of Egypt".

They were both given a one-year prison sentence and a fine of 10,000 Egyptian pounds (1,735 dollars).

In April, Al-Dustour published a story about a complaint filed by an Egyptian citizen, Said Mohammed Abdallah, who accused Mubarak of misusing 500 million Egyptian pounds (86 million dollars) during the privatisation of several public companies.

Abdallah appeared in the same court as the two journalists Monday and was given the same sentence.

"It is the first time in Egypt that a journalist has been indicted for insulting the president. It is ironic that this sentence should be delivered even as the regime is talking about political reform," Issa told AFP.

"It shows that these reforms and promises are short-lived," he said, adding that both he and Zaki would appeal.

Al-Dustour is one of a handful of independent and opposition newspapers that have campaigned for democratic reform in Egypt and challenged Mubarak's 25-year rule.

Three other Egyptian journalists appeared before a criminal court earlier this month for denouncing reported state-sponsored fraud during the 2005 parliamentary elections.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060626/wl_mideast_afp/egyptmediatrial_060626152433

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com