EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Democracy, the big lie!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Democracy, the big lie!
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders, why the insistence on calling the so called democratic systems democratic at all?
Aren't they Representative systems serving the interests of funds raisers?
Seems to me that people in the U.S and Britain are doped. At least in the mid-east people don't take their governments seriously [Big Grin]

Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do envy people who don't have the benefit of 'democracy'. At least they don't have to feel responsibility for the decisions made by their governments.
the past 5 years must have put the idea of democracy under the microscope.Hard to sell the idea if you no longer trust the one you got.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, it goes way earlier than just the last 5 years!
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No system is perfect. But at least in the U.S. (not intimate with others), voters can truly effect change. For example, Joe Lieberman (Jewish Democrat who firmly backs Bush in the Iraqi war), was thrown out of office precisely because he supports Bush.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-lamont0914.artsep14,0,4868266.story?coll=hc-headlines-politics-state

But a system is truly only as good as its voters. Many voters in the U.S. are very ignorant about how their own political system works, and it shows at the polls. In Maryland this past Tuesday, for example, voters elected a man to the House of Representatives, because they mistakenly thought he was a current Senator. But he's actually the Senator's son, with no political experience. He won by name alone. When that kind of crap happens, it's really demoralizing.

I do hope because of all the backlash against the Iraqi war, that we will see a sweeping change in our elected representatives. There is a great chance the opposing party will win back the House, and I think a great chance a Democrat will be elected president in 2008.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOME TIMES DEMOCRACY OPPOSE RELIGION

IN THIS CASE WHAT TO CHOOSE?

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian_batman:

would you stop getting religion into every aspect of our lives?
Religion is religion, politics is politics & so on, but dont mix
u can mix a little bit but not too much to the point of khan2ah
7aramto 3alyna 3eeshetna...ba2a fi eh 7alal?!

Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Democracy doesn't oppose religion...it allows people to freely practice their faith of choice, or none at all. Religion is much better served by willing, enthusiastic followers, than sheep all bah bah bah'ing as instructed to by the state.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think the same thing until living in Egypt. There is definitely not a perfect system but I would choose even a fake democracy any day of the week compared to a police state or a dictatorship. Unless you've experienced both you can never truly know~
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I used to think the same thing until living in Egypt. There is definitely not a perfect system but I would choose even a fake democracy any day of the week compared to a police state or a dictatorship. Unless you've experienced both you can never truly know~

You have to spend time in a country to really know it. As much as I love Egypt, the injustices apparent in such a society would niggle away at my very soul. At least in western democracies, you can protest and fight the system...even if you don't achieve the result you want. To not have that freedom would make even a luxurious lifestyle uncomfortable.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree 100% which was part of my point.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No democary in moslem country
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Smuckers, yeah, my post was in agreement with your points. The reality of life in Egypt is very different from the romantic picture sold to tourists.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

WEll, it's ok if you're a tourist, as someone told me, Egypt is a nice place to visit but they wouldn't want to live here. It's not SO bad where I am, but I really don't venture out a lot and like my solitude. When I do get out the realities of everyday life are kind of depressing. Even to live a high life in Egypt is disappointing to me, and I'm not the snobby type although I did come from some substance in my homeland. You really don't appreciate what you have until you see what it's like without it. I've never been more proud to be from America, even with her faults and often sickening displays of lies and deceit. I would still never trade it [Wink]
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Smuckers, sounds like you are going through a tough period of adjustment. As much as I adore Egypt, when I return, I thank my lucky stars to live in Europe and be able to freely criticise my own country, should I choose to do so. My Egyptian friends are happy though, making the most of life, as we all do. They are also rightly proud of their beautiful country and rich cultural heritage. Hopefully a meaningful democracy will herald a better for everyone there, in the not too distant future. I wish you luck in your current circumstances.
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
better life*
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cinematic:
quote:

would you stop getting religion into every aspect of our lives?
Religion is religion, politics is politics & so on, but dont mix
u can mix a little bit but not too much to the point of khan2ah
7aramto 3alyna 3eeshetna...ba2a fi eh 7alal?!

[Confused]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Smuckers, sounds like you are going through a tough period of adjustment. As much as I adore Egypt, when I return, I thank my lucky stars to live in Europe and be able to freely criticise my own country, should I choose to do so. My Egyptian friends are happy though, making the most of life, as we all do. They are also rightly proud of their beautiful country and rich cultural heritage. Hopefully a meaningful democracy will herald a better for everyone there, in the not too distant future. I wish you luck in your current circumstances.

That's so sweet of you, thank you [Smile]

I, too, will be thankful when I go home to visit (haven't been back to the states since I was married last Nov). It's a constant state of adaptation and patience to live here, and while I'm only human, I do have my moments of weakness and start to VERBALIZE my frustrations of living here. Luckily, the husband is patient and understanding and lets me vent without much word. I have aquired a new understanding of what democracy really means from being here and while I don't think it should be forced on everyone, I definitely think it's worth holding onto ~

katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by What's In a Name?:
No system is perfect. But at least in the U.S. (not intimate with others), voters can truly effect change. For example, Joe Lieberman (Jewish Democrat who firmly backs Bush in the Iraqi war), was thrown out of office precisely because he supports Bush.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-lamont0914.artsep14,0,4868266.story?coll=hc-headlines-politics-state

But a system is truly only as good as its voters. Many voters in the U.S. are very ignorant about how their own political system works, and it shows at the polls. In Maryland this past Tuesday, for example, voters elected a man to the House of Representatives, because they mistakenly thought he was a current Senator. But he's actually the Senator's son, with no political experience. He won by name alone. When that kind of crap happens, it's really demoralizing.

I do hope because of all the backlash against the Iraqi war, that we will see a sweeping change in our elected representatives. There is a great chance the opposing party will win back the House, and I think a great chance a Democrat will be elected president in 2008.

Sure people r allowed to speak their minds. Problem is policy makers r so smart in their ways to serve the oligarchy [Wink]
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You who live safe
In your warm houses,
You who find, returning in the evening,
Hot food and friendly faces:

Consider if this is a democracy

-Where government does whatever they want, whenever they want
-where foreign policy now means waging war
-Where the public oppose and protest - politicians ignore
-whose contribution to peace, is invading countries half a planet away.
-whose troops create enemies, where before we had none
-Where in government one view prevails, and is enforced.
-whose govermnent needs no Parliament
-where cruelty is visible in small things: fining the disabled, who forget their permits and papers.
-Where politicians discourage voting.
-Where fair go for everyone, is illusion and wish.

Meditate that this has come about.
Engrave these words on your heart
Tell them to your children

Or else!

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

"Say what you want about his presidency, but after that speech, it is now 15 minutes shorter." --Jon Stewart

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com