EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » News: US soldier found guilty of raping 14 year old girl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: News: US soldier found guilty of raping 14 year old girl
Totta
Member # 16623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Totta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2009/05/200957214557803392.html

Friday, May 08, 2009

A former US soldier has been found guilty of the rape and murder of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and of then killing her parents and sister.

Steven Dale Green was convicted by a civilian court in the US state of Kentucky on Thursday and faces a possible death sentence over the crimes.

He was found guilty of 17 criminal charges including rape, murder and obstruction of justice.

Green was discharged from the army due to a "personality disorder" before his role in the murders was suspected.

His defence team had asked the jury to consider the "context" of war, saying soldiers lacked leadership and received little help from the military to deal with the loss of friends in combat.

Premeditated attack

Marisa Ford, a prosecution lawyer, said the losses suffered by Green's unit did not excuse the rape of Abeer al-Janabi and the murders of her and her family in their home south of Baghdad on March 12, 2006.

"The evidence in this case suggests the defendant was acting purposefully and intentionally with full knowledge of what he was doing," Ford said.

James Barker and Paul Cortez, two other soldiers who are serving 100 and 90 years for their role in the brutal attack, testified against Green during the trial.

Green and other soldiers changed their clothes and disguised their appearance to throw suspicion on Iraqi fighters, Ford said.

They then burned Abeer's body to hide evidence and burned their own clothes to destroy anything that might link them to the crime, she said.

"This was a planned, premeditated crime which was carried out in cold blood," Ford said.

Posts: 117 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yawn.... another thread on the same issue??

Hey btw where is your article on the shooting which happened yesterday at Camp Liberty?? An US American soldier killed five fellow troops. Ah I think I just made your morning. Doing the happy dance, eh?? [Confused]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Totta
Member # 16623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Totta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[QB] Yawn.... another thread on the same issue??

Hey btw where is your article on the shooting which happened yesterday at Camp Liberty?? An US American soldier killed five fellow troops. Ah I think I just made your morning. Doing the happy dance, eh?? [Confused]

Thank you, dear. I was just about to post that article [Razz]

About the rapist US soldier thread, it's actually an update [Wink] it's just too horrific and disgusting I figured it deserves another thread.

Posts: 117 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what would be a better death sentence for him is to put him in a closed room with me, ill give him the death sentence, but it wont be fast, it will be a slow death

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From: Some where on the east coast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did TL just yawn at someone for posting news???
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooky:
what would be a better death sentence for him is to put him in a closed room with me, ill give him the death sentence, but it wont be fast, it will be a slow death

And guess what - premeditated murder would put you on death row in the state of Virginia. Is it worth it??? I would think twice!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com