EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Millions may lose jobless benefits as holidays loom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Millions may lose jobless benefits as holidays loom
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extended unemployment benefits for nearly 2 million Americans begin to run out Wednesday, cutting off a steady stream of income and guaranteeing a dismal holiday season for people already struggling with bills they cannot pay.

Unless Congress changes its mind, benefits that had been extended up to 99 weeks will end this month.

Hours before beefed-up benefits were set to expire at midnight on Tuesday, Democrats sought to extend them for another year. But they were blocked by Republican Senator Scott Brown, who said Democrats should have taken time to work out a compromise.

For more, go here: Link

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congress has let jobless benefits lapse twice already this year as Republicans insist the cost — $160 billion in the last fiscal year — be offset by cuts elsewhere to prevent the nation's $13.8 trillion debt from growing further.

...but let another war, or conflagration, or heated incident, or containment purposes, pop up and the money will be found—in the name of national interest—commonly called meddling—with no explanation offered as to how this money will be repaid. F..k these guys. If I was President Obama I would say that's it, I've had it. Make the rich pay the taxes in January. Don't back down from these clowns . Screw them.

Congressional opponents of extending the benefits beyond this month say fiscal responsibility should come first. Republicans in the House and Senate, along with a handful of conservative Democrats, say they're open to extending benefits, but not if it means adding to the $13.8 trillion national debt.

Yeah MFers take a cut in pay while you're bitchin' and moanin' about deficits. Show the American people your solidarity and that you stand with them instead of your vacation homes in Florida, or your yachts in the Gulf of Mexico; stand with them in their times of need because of policies all you clowns have implemented in the name of big money and, I'm sure, personal enrichment. Yeah fools, show your solidarity in bullsh.t.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumman:

Congress has let jobless benefits lapse twice already this year as Republicans insist the cost — $160 billion in the last fiscal year — be offset by cuts elsewhere to prevent the nation's $13.8 trillion debt from growing further.

...but let another war, or conflagration, or heated incident, or containment purposes, pop up and the money will be found—in the name of national interest—commonly called meddling—with no explanation offered as to how this money will be repaid. F..k these guys. If I was President Obama I would say that's it, I've had it. Make the rich pay the taxes in January. Don't back down from these clowns . Screw them.

Funny you should mention payment of taxes. The cost associated with extending the tax breaks for the 1 to 5 percent richest should be part of that "cut elsewhere" that could be used to offset the proclaimed cost of "$160 billion in the last fiscal year".
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com