EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Cairo Trilogy on BBC Radio 4

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo Trilogy on BBC Radio 4
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 14 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BBC are dramatizing Naghib Mafouz Cairo Trilogy in 3 x 1hour episodes with Omar Sharif narrating as 'old kamal'.

Episode 1 was this afternoon (Sunday) at 3pm (British time) and will be repeated next Saturday night at 9pm (I think!). You can listen to Episode 1 for 7 days on this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/classic_serial.shtml

Obviously, dramatizing the whole of Palace Walk in 1 episode of 1 hour means a lot gets missed out but it was really good anyway.

Apart from Omar Sharif who apparently recorded his part in his hotel room in Paris, the rest was recorded on location in Cairo and full Egyptian cast.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful of you to post this! I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Goodness gracious I'll be listening to this while I do the arduous task of washing dishes after producing 3 pans of vegetable lasanga. It looks like hell in here.

Oh I can't wait to listen to Omar Sharif while doing a purely hellish task!

I had real trouble following along with this set of books and ended up not finish even the first book.

I prefer Naguib Mafouz's short stories to his novels because there are alot of "dead spaces" in his stories.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
Naguib Mafouz's novels: there are alot of "dead spaces" in his stories.

[Roll Eyes]

Ayy kalam!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ayy kalam!!

ya 3abdel salam............... hehehehehe
Sono di weleya 7omarah, di weleya 2a3da 3ala tesht ad teezha w bazabezha medaldela fih tool elnahar w matbtesma3sh fel radio 3'er "Rabat El Beyoot" w Tamer Hosny [Big Grin]

Wala el dosh el da7'el mn na7yah w 7'areg mn bo2aha [Big Grin]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for silent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella angel TORMENTOR:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ayy kalam!!

ya 3abdel salam............... hehehehehe
Sono di weleya 7omarah, di weleya 2a3da 3ala tesht ad teezha w bazabezha medaldela fih tool elnahar w matbtesma3sh fel radio 3'er "Rabat El Beyoot" w Tamer Hosny [Big Grin]

Wala el dosh el da7'el mn na7yah w 7'areg mn bo2aha [Big Grin]

ya kharga min bab el 7ammam...we kol khad 3aleeh neela sookha...
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 165 | From: São paulo/Brazil Cairo/Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for silent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ayy kalam!!

kalam naas mana7`olya ..
mana7`olya bel kelab mesh bel araneb....
[Big Grin]

Posts: 165 | From: São paulo/Brazil Cairo/Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the point of posting in Egyptian when someone can't decifer it?

Its not just my opinion that his novels have some rather dull parts.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
enti habla we massikooha tabla...

--------------------
muito obrigado por voces

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paulistano:
enti habla we massikooha tabla...

gatha khieba bent el habla [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Embarrassed] Naguib Mahfouz's books r da best ever! Itsnot possible to put them down when u first opened one of them. Really, that man was a genious. Peace with him. Really Masr lost a great son the day he left this world.

quote:

Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:
[Embarrassed] Naguib Mahfouz's books r da best ever! Itsnot possible to put them down when u first opened one of them. Really, that man was a genious. Peace with him. Really Masr lost a great son the day he left this world.

quote:

I just dont think she knows he's won a Nobel prize. Ignorance

God rest his soul in peace

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella angel TORMENTOR:
quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:

quote:

I just dont think she knows he's won a Nobel prize. Ignorance

God rest his soul in peace

Actually a year ago I posted that Naguib had forgiven his militant Islamic assasins, that he in turn had turned the blame for the attack on the government.

I was floored and still can't completely understand why he had a change of heart.

silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
how can a brainless person understands anything at all..
that will be the day..
miracles don`t accure any more in this life time..

--------------------
muito obrigado por voces

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com