EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Your Favorite Fairouz?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Favorite Fairouz?
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is mine. I knew about Fairouz since the 3rd grade b/c my best friend (whose father is Lebanese) made me listen to her often. I had to learn the words of this song and sing it in class for extra credit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hq4TcawTNk&mode=related&search=

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know much about her but she has a lovely voice Hibbah. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never listened to her before hibbah, but this link has 4 pages of her songs. I will try some of them and let you know.

http://www.mazikana.com/online/english/index.php?display=songs&singer=1313&album=243

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFLMAO

I clicked on this link prepared to say NONE OF IT!

I thought it was about the drink. LOL

*embarrased* *feeling like an idiot*

lol

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAAAAAAAAhhhh! Fairouz! That's my queen! Thank you Hibbah for starting a thread about her! She's my parents' favorite together with Sabah and some others. They were fans of Lebanon and went there often in the summers of the early 70s before the war destroyed everything. [Frown]

One of my favorite songs is El-Bosta. It's such a funny song. And what's even funnier is that she has such a serious face when she sings it. She makes you think she is talking about a saga, but she is actually talking about a situation where she was jammed into an overcrowded bus on a hot day and describing what the people were doing during the ride. And during the ride, she was thinking about this woman called Alya who has beautiful eyes. A bit of a stoned song, which makes it totally and literally [Wink] MY song.

She also reminds me of me during my lectures. I would be standing there with a totally serious face and the students would be ROFL at what I'm saying. [Big Grin] I miss my students so much. [Frown]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dhCH0lFDDI

Translation of the lyrics:

“El bosta” - “The bus” - Ziad Rahbani

On the buzzing of the engine of the bus taking us from the village of Himlaya to the village of Tannourine.

And I remembered you Alya, and I remembered your eyes.. OOOOh damn your eyes Alya how beautiful they are!

2x

We were going up (the bus), going up but didn’t pay (the fare), 2x

One time we would hold the door, another we would ask the passengers to be quiet, (*pretending to be good people and all [Wink] *)

And this one guy with his wife - he puked and his wife got dizzy,

I would swear by my life, he would let her go alone to Tannourine,

if they would see how beautiful your eyes are, oh Alya, your eyes.

On the buzzing of the engine of the bus taking us from the village of Himlaya to the village of Tannourine..

And I remembered you Alya, and I remembered your eyes.. OOOOh damn your eyes Alya how beautiful they are!

(The rest of the lyrics are not on this clip but here they are anyway:)

I am promised by your eyes, and I have crossed for them villages and highlands,
you are you, your eyes are black, and you don’t know what black eyes do to me,
on the buzzing of the engine of the bus taking us from the village of Himlaya to the village of Tannourine,
I remembered you Alya, and I remembered your eyes, and damn your eyes Alya how beautiful they are,
we were going up in that heat and we were feeling hot,
there was one eating lettuce, and one eating figs,
and there was one with his wife - jeez how fugly his wife is, [Big Grin]
I envy them, how peaceful their mind is, the passengers of Tannourine,
for they do not know how beautiful you eyes are, oh Alya, your eyes.
Oh sir if you please close that window,
too much wind sir, the air might get us a cold.

[Cool]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fairouz singing for love in the beautiful Lebanon before the war and the nose job. [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_c-gm4b68o&NR

(They taught me your love, opened my eyes on it, and then blamed me!)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Ya Tayr/ Oh Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PolxuFxkCw8&mode=related&search=

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Knock knock knock Mother of Soliman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=853_DQPS2L8&mode=related&search=

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Kifak Enta (How Are You?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5PSEAIaOg

Gotta read the lyrics:

http://www.loai-naamani.com/Fairouz/Kifak_Inta.htm

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this thread to my husband, he was laughing so much about that song MK. He loves Fairouz too.

He also said he agrees with you about Lebanon. Most beautiful country there is, along with Syria. His family also used to go there before the war, as his mom is half Saeedi, half Lebanese.

He is singing Soliman to me now.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fairuz born 21th november 1935, her real name is nihaad haddad
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAREK307
Member # 7838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAREK307   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HABAYTAK BILSAYF...ahh i love it! My grandmother is Lebanese and loves this song as well@!

--------------------
MY BLOG
www.modernpharaoh.blogspot.com

http://www.myspace.com/tarek307

AOL,YAHOO,MSN TAREK307

Posts: 511 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I just read this thread to my husband, he was laughing so much about that song MK.
He is singing Soliman to me now.. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

What! Didn't he know el-Bosta song?

Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

What! Didn't he know el-Bosta song?

Oh course he did [Big Grin]

He's like a walking wikipedia when it comes to actors and musicians [Wink]

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virgin in City Stars is selling a box set of Fairuz CD's for about 1200 LE. I was tempted... [Big Grin]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QueenMojo
Member # 12306

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for QueenMojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nahna wel 'amar jiran
Posts: 37 | From: cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TAREK307:
HABAYTAK BILSAYF...ahh i love it! My grandmother is Lebanese and loves this song as well@!

This is my favorite song for Fairouz too. The best time to listen to Fairouz is in the morning, with hot coffee and grilled labne sandwich.
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com