Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » What did the Prophet say about Garlic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What did the Prophet say about Garlic
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL..I saw this on another thread:

Sahih Bukhari

Volume 1, Book 12, Number 815:
Narrated 'Abdul 'Aziz:

A man asked Anas, "What did you hear from the Prophet about garlic?" He said, "The Prophet said, 'Whoever has eaten this plant should neither come near us nor pray with us."

There you have it folks, Muhammad (pbuh) was a vampire. hehe (I'm just kidding:-) )

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually garlic is very good for you.

-

Changing Genes: Garlic Shown to Inhibit DNA Damaging Chemical in Breast Cancer

Legend suggests that garlic may ward off evil spirits, such as vampires. Now scientists are finding that garlic, or a flavor component of the pungent herb, may help ward off carcinogens produced by meat cooked at high temperatures.

Cooking protein-rich foods like meats and eggs at high temperatures releases a chemical called PhIP, a suspected carcinogen. Epidemiological studies have shown that the incidence of breast cancer is higher among women who eat large quantities of meat, although fat and caloric intake and hormone exposure may contribute to this increased risk.

Diallyl sulfide (DAS), a flavor component of garlic, has been shown to inhibit the effects of PhIP that, when biologically active, can cause DNA damage or transform substances in the body into carcinogens.

Ronald D. Thomas, Ph.D., and a team of researchers at Florida A&M University in Tallahassee hypothesized that PhIP enhances the metabolism of the enzymes linked to carcinogenesis. They further suggested that the diallyl sulfide derived from garlic might counter this activity.

“We treated human breast epithelial cells with equal amounts of PhIP and DAS separately, and the two together, for periods ranging from three to 24 hours,” said Thomas. “PhIP induced expression of the cancer-causing enzyme at every stage, up to 40-fold, while DAS completely inhibited the PhIP enzyme from becoming carcinogenic.”

The finding demonstrates for the first time that DAS triggers a gene alteration in PhIP that may play a significant role in preventing cancer, notably breast cancer, induced by PhIP in well-done meats.

Thomas noted that no studies have shown a link between cooking vegetables and fruits and PhIP, regardless of the method used.

http://www.aacr.org/home/public--media/news.aspx?d=553

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Delicious Toasted Garlic and Five Onion Soup (for you who eat bacon)

-

1 slice bacon, diced small
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 leek, sliced
4 scallions, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 white onion, sliced
1/2 vidaliia onion, sliced
1 head garlic, sliced
8 sprigs thyme, minced
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
1 small backing potato, peeled, and diced small
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and black pepper

1. Place a 3 quart chefs pan over medium heat and add diced bacon. Cook until crisp and then remove bacon bits.

2. Add the olive oil, leeks, scallions, shallots, white and vidalia onions, and garlic.

3. Allow the onions and garlic to caramelize, about 15 minute. Stir in the thyme and bay leaf.

4. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Be sure to scrape the fond off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.

5. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Add the diced potatoes.

6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and onions are tender.

7. Puree the soup with a hand held emersion blender.

8. Stir in the cream and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.

9. Garnish with bacon bits and serve hot.

Serves 4

Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:

Sahih Bukhari

Narrated 'Abdul 'Aziz:

A man asked Anas, "What did you hear from the Prophet about garlic?" He said, "The Prophet said, 'Whoever has eaten this plant should neither come near us nor pray with us."

There you have it folks, Muhammad (pbuh) was a vampire. hehe (I'm just kidding:-) )

im assuming you know this is meant as a request for being polite to the people around you- i.e. you eat a chunk of garlic and your breath stinks, please dont breathe on me.
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it funny how some Muslims will NOT eat garlic because of this hadith!!.. but this is NOT what the meaning really is about. Garlic IS great for you [Smile]
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:

Sahih Bukhari

Narrated 'Abdul 'Aziz:

im assuming you know this is meant as a request for being polite to the people around you- i.e. you eat a chunk of garlic and your breath stinks, please dont breathe on me.
Oooooh, Bukhari.... So then let us follow this further, and Hibbah I am not baiting you, just responding to the post.... Why is THIS hadith taken so lightly, with moslems assuming it is merely a suggestion, or as you say for politeness, but then other hadiths are taken as absolute laws and enforced so stringently by moslem societies, especially where there is no effective separation of church and state.
Doesn't that make you wonder about the other hadiths that are so closely followed?
I guarantee if there is any hadith that limits women it will be followed exactly.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ijtihad
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magnona777:
I find it funny how some Muslims will NOT eat garlic because of this hadith!!.. but this is NOT what the meaning really is about. Garlic IS great for you [Smile]

Strange, because garlic is thee most used herb amongst Arabs.

I normally put half a head of garlic in all my dishes I served to my ex, along with half a onion.

But yeah you pretty much have to brush your teeth afterwards.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soma
Member # 12876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Undercover i waring you don't talk like that about this ahadiths? the prophet said that for one thing ,in the PRAY , so don't pray for god and your mouth smell garlic or onions okay
just in this case only before you pray , so don't mix up the stuff okay , again there are more hadyths is called THE PROPHET'S MEDICAL in one book talk about how much useful like the prophet advice to eat garlic or onion for more sicks okay but when he siad this hadith coz you have to be polit smelling for god pray and don't for get he said too the angels sufer from same what we sufer from coz when you pray the put them mouth in your mouth when you pray and when you remember the god and when you done they take your words for the god , so if your smell is bad take a shower or don't upset prayer near you in same mousque , u get this
OH MY GOD IT'S A REALY GREAT RELIGION BEHAV

Posts: 88 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Kahina:
quote:
Originally posted by magnona777:

Strange, because garlic is thee most used herb amongst Arabs.

I normally put half a head of garlic in all my dishes I served to my ex, along with half a onion.

But yeah you pretty much have to brush your teeth afterwards.

I agree.. Garlic is a staple in MOST households.. BUT i have met a few muslims.. who do NOT have anything to do with Garlic.. I think one was a desi.. dunno.. it was weird
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com