Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Best … soup … ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best … soup … ever
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recipe: Best … soup … ever

OK, I may have oversold this recipe in the headline a bit, but trust me, you’ll love it. It’s easy to make, it’s vegan, it’s healthy, and it is perfection. I can’t get enough of it. Go out and buy the ingredients and make it today!

Ingredients

* Various veggies, diced (you can use any kind that you like, but I usually throw in squash (butternut, though any kind is great), celery, carrots, corn, fresh spinach and broccoli — zucchini would be another good choice)
* One yellow onion, diced
* A couple cloves of garlic, diced
* Vegetable bullion, four cubes
* 1 package pasta (any kind except the longer ones like spaghetti or linguini is good — I like the bow-tie pasta or shell pasta)
* 1 can each kidney beans and white beans
* 1 can stewed tomatoes
* water
* olive oil, a few tablespoons
* salt and black pepper and Italian seasoning to taste

Directions

* Dice all the veggies and open the cans of beans (and corn if you’re using canned corn); be sure not to skin the squash — just scoop out the seeds and dice it up
* Heat up the olive oil in a large pot and saute the onion and garlic
* throw in all the veggies except the spinach; stir and heat up until veggies start to get a little soft
* Season veggies with some salt, pepper and Italian seasoning
* throw in the beans, pasta, stewed tomatoes, and enough water so that the pot is nearly full (not all the way!); heat on high until boiling, then turn down to medium heat
* mix vegetable bullion with warm water in a cup until dissolved, and pour into soup; boil until pasta nearly cooked
* throw in the spinach a couple minutes before the soup is done; when the pasta is cooked, the soup is done; be sure to season with more salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste — you know when it is seasoned right when you taste it and say, “Oh … my … God!”

Enjoy! You will love this. Serve it to friends, and tell them how you found this recipe on Zen Habits. Or do what I do, and pack it for lunch every day for a week. I never get tired of it.

Update: I forgot an ingredient - stewed tomatoes - so I added it in.

http://zenhabits.net/2007/03/recipe-best-soup-ever/

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever managed to find a tin of tomatoes in Egypt let alone Italian seasoning, is this the eat like an Egyptian forum [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I have to make my own stewed tomatoes.
I pop some tomatoes in a big batch of boiling water until the skins start to peel and then immerse them in cold water and the skins peel off. I store them in a jar in the fridge and they are REALLY tasty and much better than canned. Try it. [Wink]
I'm sure someone will say they're available at Carrefour, blah blah blah, not everyone lives near a Carrefour so we have to improvise. [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope not even in Carrefour Smucks, and yes this was one reason I finally bought a blender even though I hate washing them up...no sorry was just being a bit sarcastic. We have so many posts with absolutely nothing to do with Egypt.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got tinned tomatoes from metro in sharm 2 weeks ago [Smile]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carrefour [Razz] and Hyper one sell small and huge tins of stewed tomatoes Smuckers.
You can open a big one and freeze the rest in bags.

I am going to do my own sun dried ones this year and bottle in olive oil

would be interesting to see how many of the recipes actually originate in Egypt? or is it just that folk want to share good recipes? what's the problem?

[Cool]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes yes yes carrefour, everything is in carrefour, I don't live in Cairo or any other big city where there is a carrefour.
Everything I make has to be homemade (which is much tastier but takes more time).

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrAshraf
Member # 12894

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrAshraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny, where are you girl ? There are canned tomatoes all over the place. I prefer fresh vine ripened tomatoes, but these I can't find so now use the canned ones.

Roasting the normal ones is easy and gives a nice taste. Also, grating them over a cheese grater makes a quick sauce minus the skin.

Posts: 77 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Penny
you can make up your own jar of Italian Seasoning.
its....
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried sage

got this off of a website, and they have a ton of other spice blends there too...
http://southernfood.about.com/od/seasoningrecipes/r/bl30420i.htm

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi undercover.
love your recipe...gonna steal it.
am a soup freak and hubby is too.
thanks again

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinned tomatoes readily available in Hurghada in both Abu Ashara and Abaeid supermarkets.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com