Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Any Fish recipes and any insight about fish intake?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Fish recipes and any insight about fish intake?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- Who knows simple recipes for the following fish?

Hoki/Hake (same fish right)

Alaskan Polluck (fillet)

Hammour

2- Also any side dish recommendations that would go well with fish? (no rice and no French fries)

3- Last but not least are you aware of the mercury dilemma when it comes to fish. The Hammour (grouper family) are small but - http://www.gotmercury.org/ - states that grouper fish have high levels of mercury.

Alaskan Polluck come from the North Pacific (probably clean water there)

The Hoki/Haki comes off the coast of Argentina (probably clean water there too)

The Hammour comes from the coast of Oman (probably clean water there also)

The above fish come from salt water and not heavily polluted rivers.

Anyway

I am planning on eating a variety of salt water fish 10x a month. The above are the ones I bought this week. Anyone here eats that much Fish a month?

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont eat as much as that, down to the fact that I dont have enough recipes either!

Once I cooked alaskan pollack this way:

Marinated in lemon juice, garlic and turmeric to give it colour (marinated for at least 4 hours) then lightly fried, that was nice.

very simple but tasty, I have a more complicated fish pie recipe but not sure you would like it, its not eastern.

Posts: 83 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish Fillets Italiano

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 15 Min
READY IN 25 Min

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 pound cod fillets
DIRECTIONS
In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until softened.
Stir in tomatoes, olives, parsley, and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Place fillets in sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until fish turns white.

Fish Cakes Fast and Simple

10 min prep

1 lb boneless fish fillets
5 large potatoes
3 tablespoons chopped onions
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper

Peel and cut up potatoes.
Place in pot with fillets and cover with cold water.
Boil until the potatoes are"fork done".
Drain off the water.
Mash the potatoes and fish together.
Mix chopped onion, eggs, and 1 tablespoon water.
Add this to the fish and potatoes and mix well.
Form the mixture into hamburger size patties.
Season with salt and pepper and fry in well greased skillet until golden brown on both sides.

Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissJambi
Member # 13261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissJambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love bluefish...i broil it in the oven with vinegar oil potatoes peppers lemons tomatoes and onions. mmmmmmmmm

i usually just have a nice green salad with newmans own oil and vinegar dressing
and asparagus that i lay out on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil baked at 350 for 10 minutes. wash it down with my homemade orange lemonade iced tea that i let sit in a jug in the sun.
where i live is very warm and its too hot out to eat rice dishes and stuff like that.

Posts: 229 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarka:
I dont eat as much as that, down to the fact that I dont have enough recipes either!

Once I cooked alaskan pollack this way:

Marinated in lemon juice, garlic and turmeric to give it colour (marinated for at least 4 hours) then lightly fried, that was nice.

very simple but tasty, I have a more complicated fish pie recipe but not sure you would like it, its not eastern.

That's pretty much how we cook it too but also with some cumin and a touch of curry.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dbl post
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by karla:
Fish Fillets Italiano

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 15 Min
READY IN 25 Min

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 pound cod fillets
DIRECTIONS
In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until softened.
Stir in tomatoes, olives, parsley, and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Place fillets in sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until fish turns white.

Fish Cakes Fast and Simple

10 min prep

1 lb boneless fish fillets
5 large potatoes
3 tablespoons chopped onions
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper

Peel and cut up potatoes.
Place in pot with fillets and cover with cold water.
Boil until the potatoes are"fork done".
Drain off the water.
Mash the potatoes and fish together.
Mix chopped onion, eggs, and 1 tablespoon water.
Add this to the fish and potatoes and mix well.
Form the mixture into hamburger size patties.
Season with salt and pepper and fry in well greased skillet until golden brown on both sides.

Would it be possible to substitute 'dry wine'? I drink occasionally but having wine in food is just totally sinister. [Smile]

Your 2nd recipe sounds real good and I will definitely try that the next fish day. I'll use the cheapest fish-fillet though (Alaskan Pollock) because it would be a shame to waste fish-fillet on a recipe that will come out looking like a hamburger pattie. [Razz]

Thanks and i'll let you know how it turns out.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by MissJambi:
i love bluefish...i broil it in the oven with vinegar oil potatoes peppers lemons tomatoes and onions. mmmmmmmmm

i usually just have a nice green salad with newmans own oil and vinegar dressing
and asparagus that i lay out on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil baked at 350 for 10 minutes. wash it down with my homemade orange lemonade iced tea that i let sit in a jug in the sun.
where i live is very warm and its too hot out to eat rice dishes and stuff like that.

Sounds good and I guess this recipe would also be good with other 'whole fish' (not fillets)?

So you bake your salad, how interesting? Sounds reallll good because they have delicious virgin olive oil out-here, fresh from Ajloun Mountains.

I'll let you know too. The baked salad is a great idea because side-dishes for fish are difficult.

Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried these fish cakes with salmon tonight, but i had to add breadcrumbs because it was breaking up in the pan.

But i did add more seasoning and lemon juice, oh and garlic, but thanks for the idea [Smile]

Posts: 83 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these are my fishcakes, I use flour and it keeps the mixture taut, no breadcrumbs though just sesame added to the flour. Also if you chill it will make it much easier to work with.

Dead Easy fishcakes

Take 4 big potatoes cook and mash them.
Throw 3 fillets of fish, 2 scallions or spring onions, 10 black peppercorns, small bunch of dill, or any nice herb, 1/2 teasp cummin powder, into a liguidiser and pulse till smooth.
Add to mashed potatoes and stir well. Then chill for a few hours.
Take a bowl and put in cup flour, add handful sesame seeds, some salt, 1/2 teasp chilli powder and mix it up and then spread it out on a work surface. Take fish mix from the fridge and spoon tablespoons onto the flour and shape into patties.

Shallow fry in olive oil 3 mins each side, drain on paper and serve with fresh salad and a humous dip.

[Cool]

to get a smokey flavour lay the uncooked fish fillets on a casserole dish. Take a metal dish and put in 2 tablespoons of oil ( cooking) take one piece of charcoal and heat it on the gas ring till it turns red and white. Then lay the metal plate with the oil on top of the fish and drop in the burning coal. Cover immediately with a tray or towel and leave for 5 mins. This will smoke your fish.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
I tried these fish cakes with salmon tonight, but i had to add breadcrumbs because it was breaking up in the pan.

But i did add more seasoning and lemon juice, oh and garlic, but thanks for the idea [Smile]

Cute ... with salmon [Smile]

Invite me over next time you serve salmon [Razz]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can always add a egg to bind the cakes. but always chill them for at least 30 minutes before frying they will stay together better, i make my famous crabcakes that way no potatoes though
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baked Fish With Herbed Vegetables

1 Pound fresh fish fillets (any type fish)
2 Medium zucchini, cut into 2-in julienne
1 Cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tsp chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1/4 Tsp dried basil leaves)
1/4Tsp salt
1/8 Tsp pepper

Heat oven to 350º

Place fish in 9-inch square baking pan.

Place zucchini and mushrooms around and over fish.

In small bowl, stir together butter, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper; pour over fish.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until fish flakes with fork.

Microwave:
Place all ingredients into 9-inch square baking dish as directed above. Cover; microwave on HIGH, turning dish 1/2 turn after half the time, until fish flakes with a fork (7 to 8 minutes)

Mushroom Tarragon Fish

2 pounds lean white fish fillets
3 T White wine
1 1/2 tsp Tarragon
Salt and pepper
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 T butter or margarine, melted

Arrange fish in bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking pan, overlapping thinner ends of fish to prevent overcooking.

In order listed, evenly sprinkle wine, tarragon, salt and pepper (as desired), mushrooms, green onions and bread crumbs over fish. Drizzle with butter.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with fork.

Lemon-Herbed Salmon

2-1/2 C. fresh bread crumbs
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 C. minced fresh parsley
6 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. dried thyme
2 t. grated lemon peel
1/2 t. salt
6 T. butter
1 salmon fillet (3-4 lbs)

In a bowl combine bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, cheese, thyme, lemon peel, and salt; mix well.

Add 4 T. butter and toss lightly to coat.

Take salmon and pat dry.

Place skin side down in a greased baking dish.

Brush with remaining butter and cover with bread crumb mixture.

Bake 350º for 20-25 minutes or till salmon flakes easily with a fork.

New England Fish Bake

4 potatoes, peeled
1 t. flour
1 small onion, sliced into rings
1/4 t. pepper
3/4 C. milk, divided
1 1/2 lbs. whitefish or cod fillets
1 T. grated Parmesan
2 T. minced fresh parsley or 2 t. dried
1/4 t. paprika

Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook till almost tender. Drain and slice 1/8 inch thick.

Place in a shallow 2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with flour. Top with onion; sprinkle with pepper. Pour half of the milk over potatoes. Place fish on top, pour remaining milk over fish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Cover and bake at 375º for 20-30 minutes or till fish flakes easily with a fork.

Sprinkle with parsley and paprika.

Quick, Easy -N- Fast Baked Fish with Orange Cilantro Sauce Recipe

1 1/2 lbs. halibut or other firm fish steaks
1/4 C. sliced onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 t. vegetable oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 C. orange juice
2 T. chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Arrange fish in shallow baking pan. In non-stick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add pepper. Stir in orange juice and pour over fish. Bake, covered, in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Sprinkle cilantro on top.

Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:

Would it be possible to substitute 'dry wine'? I drink occasionally but having wine in food is just totally sinister. [Smile]

Your 2nd recipe sounds real good and I will definitely try that the next fish day. I'll use the cheapest fish-fillet though (Alaskan Pollock) because it would be a shame to waste fish-fillet on a recipe that will come out looking like a hamburger pattie. [Razz]

[/QUOTE]

You can substituite any ingredient you want from those recipes...I'm sure that you will do a delicious dish. [Smile]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by karla:
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:

You can substituite any ingredient you want from those recipes...I'm sure that you will do a delicious dish. [Smile] [/QUOTE]

Thank you Karla, your recipe was great, simple and most important it turned out
delicious

Mok-Mok advice was great because like Tarka I also had a little difficulty keeping them together but after chilling the mixture in the fridge the problem was solved. I complimented this delicious dish with a baked salad (thanks to MissJambi). I simply greased the pan with olive oil followed by onions, red cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and green peppers. Then I added a lot of olive oil (per MissJambi recommendation) and a whole lot of Zaatar (oregano) and salt. Finally I garnished it after baking like 20-30 minutes with fresh parsley and olives. Yummy. [Smile]

It doesn't look all that because this is me cooking them, you know an ordinary man's touch isn't exactly all that when it comes to cooking.

The 2nd batch of patties was much better, smaller and rounder. But overall this dish was great. [Smile]

It was nice and fun [Smile]

Pics

Before:

-

After:

-

Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Sobriquet:

I showed my husband the vegetables cos they looked soooooooooo nice, he would like that.
Can you tell me what was in it and did you just bakes it? it looks so nice.

My fishcakes turned out like yours, but i found that i made them smaller and thicker and they turned out nice [Smile]

I like this cooking with pictures, how do we add pictures? [Smile]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Sobriquet:

I showed my husband the vegetables cos they looked soooooooooo nice, he would like that.
Can you tell me what was in it and did you just bakes it? it looks so nice.

My fishcakes turned out like yours, but i found that i made them smaller and thicker and they turned out nice [Smile]

I like this cooking with pictures, how do we add pictures? [Smile]

The salad was awesome and it is very simple. I really don't know if it actually qualifies as a salad because I literally baked (until cooked) the vegetables and really I worked with what was available in the fridge.

Ok here is a step by step:

-Grease Pan with olive oil
-Slice 2 onion and spread them all over the pan (forming the bottom layer)
-Slice red cabbage and put that on top of the onions
-Slice 3-4 small/medium carrots into quarters (long slices – sorry I do not have chef lingo)
-Slice tomatoes (3 big ones) not to thin and place them on the inside perimeter of the baking dish
-Slice one big Green Pepper (dell) into strips and place on top
-Add virgin olive oil (liberally)
-Add Oregano (liberally)
-Add salt

Bake until the Green pepper and tomatoes look cooked

Add fresh parsley

Add few olives

And

Enjoy [Smile]

P.S Use www.tinypic.com to upload your pics and then cut the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards:" and paste it on ES. Have fun [Smile] I know I will [Big Grin]

Sumbula2
Member # 11665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumbula2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do Egyptians eat crawfish?

because- i was attacked by one last night. apparently- there are crawfish in our pond. and its been raining SO MUCH in TX, that these guys are now walking around our backyard.

Posts: 140 | From: TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Sumbula2:
Do Egyptians eat crawfish?

because- i was attacked by one last night. apparently- there are crawfish in our pond. and its been raining SO MUCH in TX, that these guys are now walking around our backyard.

[Big Grin]

is the pond safe (clean water) if so:
collect them and have yourself a crawfish boil [Big Grin]

When i lived in Egypt i enjoyed shrimp boil. Ppl in Egypt don't know crawfish.

Hurry and collect those bastards [Big Grin]

You are so lucky [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com