Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Mango jam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mango jam
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever tried making it. I want to have a go this year but don't know if it sets easily or whether you need to add any pectin?
Also any ideas where you can buy jam jars, have got everyone saving jars for me but it won't be enough.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure would like to know that too.
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny, I use cleaned and sterilised coffee jars. My jam keeps really well. Also if you find the supplier of the plastic tubs, with lids used by the street cafes you can freeze your jams quite easily.

Pectin here is horrendously expensive, I use a small amount of icing sugar and my jam seems to set quite well without discolouring.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buy a load of those big jars of olives and transfer the olives into a big plastic tub the ones sold in the markets with red lids. That way you have a load of olives, and a bunch of jars for the jam instead of buying empty jars.
You don't need pectin in this recipe

12 cups mango pulp
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lime juice

Just roll boil till it thickens.
You really don't need too much sugar with mangoes, 3 cups is fine and it jells up beautifully.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both, I shall really look forward to making this. Just need the Mangos to come into season now [Smile]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com