Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » GYROS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GYROS
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 10 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I'm cooking so I thought to post it here to share:

-

GYROS
1/2 lb ground lamb
1/2 lb ground beef
2 slices bread, day old and partially dried
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 egg, beaten

TZATZIKI SAUCE
2 small cucumbers, peeled & seeded & diced
1 1/4 cups yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juice of
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
white pepper
salt

-----------TZATZIKI SAUCE-------------.
Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
Blend yogurt mixture with a whip until smooth.
Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.
Add Cucumbers and dill to yogurt mixture.
Salt and pepper to taste.
----------GYROS------------.
Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl.
Crumb bread into meat mixture.
Add Spices and mix well.
Stir egg into meat mixture Form mixture into 2 large patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.
Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce.

I usually serve with fried potatoes and a great side salad with lots of cilantro. ENJOY! [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MANNNNN that sounds good. Gonna come to your house for dinner !
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're the best Smuckers. [Smile]

I am definitely going to try this out. I plan on making either Spinach Pizza or Cheese Calzone today and i need some ricotta cheese.

Thanks

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh I wish VB would post here, he has great recipes for Calzones!
Spinach pizza sounds incredible, great idea for this week! [Wink]

Hope you enjoy the recipe, it's fast and easy and OOHHH so good. My husband LOVES it.
(salaam) [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks very tasty ................ could just eat some now!!
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smucks i love them i have a greek deli that sells them near my house . i get one at least 2 times a month. the best sandwich ever [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should make them yourself Mok-Mok, they're EVEN better homemade and quite easy peasy. [Smile]
BTW everyone, I have some green beans I need to cook before they 'go bad', do you think if I did some green beans with crushed tomatoes this would be a good addition to the Gyro? [Confused]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh yes i would cook them in olive oil with fresh garlic addedat the end so it wont burn yummy girl . i am getting hungry.
the only problem with making gyros is here in the usa they shave the meat . its a mixture of beef and lamb and its on a spool. but i guess the ground meat would work to . ill try it thanks [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricotta cheese?
where can I find some ricotta cheese here in Egypt? and what is it called in arabic.
have been thinking about making lasagna, and of course its best with a good ricotta, but been unable to locate some.
any ideas?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I've made Lasagna here in Egypt but couldn't find the right cheese, I found a recipe for Lasagna using Feta cheese and it came out great. [Smile]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a sub city here in my town that makes somethin semilar to that im am scared to eat lamb lol

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you can use cottage cheese to sub for ricotta, just add eggs and some garlic it will almost taste the same
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I've never found cottage cheese here either. [Frown]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
ok well i guess you just s*** out of luck [Big Grin] [Big Grin] can you get goats cheese or fontina a soft cheese? parm?i would have to look into what else you can use. feta sounds great though. i will bring a case of ricotta when i come back [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I've never found cottage cheese here either. [Frown]

Smuckers,

Egypt has both ricotta and cottage cheese. The Ricotta cheese is primarily sold in larger supermarkets and it is labeled as ‘goat cheese’. Cottage cheese(Qur'aysh) is all-over and it comes in a 400 gram yellow and white container with a little red. The packaging has “healthy living” in English on it.

Yesterday we went to gourmet supermarket and found Ricotta cheese but the price was $5 for 227 grams. A total rip-off and such a price would have meant $20 for a kilogram or 2 pounds. So my wife went to the dairy and cold-cut section and asked them if they had local Ricotta cheese and they said no but they recommended a cheese called “Karsee’eh” which they said is exactly like Ricotta. It was a fraction of the price of imported Ricotta cheese and OMG it tasted great. It has a very similar texture to Ricotta cheese although you won’t know it by simply looking at it.

Karsee’eh is the way to go [Smile] I get so thrilled when I find better and cheaper alternatives that taste even better.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

update:

The Qur'aash might not really be cottage cheese [Embarrassed]
but it's diet cheese [Big Grin]

I am 100% certain though that Egypt has Ricotta cheese ... the packaging has a picture of a goat with horns on it [Big Grin] (seriously)

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
good one sobriquet. i knew it was some kind of goat cheese there . there you go smuckie make it now [Big Grin] and we are coming for dinner [Razz]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

I personally commend smuckers because she makes great dishes and usually from scratch an improviser given the distance of her town/city to civilization [Big Grin]

A huge-ass freezer would be ideal and simply buy bulk whenever in Cairo.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i make everything from scratch too. i have too i am an excutive chef. [Big Grin] i love to create things and i even did an egyptian nite dinner for my customers. it was a great hit
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
i make everything from scratch too. i have too i am an excutive chef. [Big Grin] i love to create things and i even did an egyptian nite dinner for my customers. it was a great hit

i envy you [Razz] being an executive chef must be a great feeling [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it is great knowing i am pleaseing people with my talent.it is very gratifing and rewarding
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
This is what I'm cooking so I thought to post it here to share:

-

GYROS
1/2 lb ground lamb
1/2 lb ground beef
2 slices bread, day old and partially dried
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 egg, beaten

TZATZIKI SAUCE
2 small cucumbers, peeled & seeded & diced
1 1/4 cups yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juice of
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
white pepper
salt

-----------TZATZIKI SAUCE-------------.
Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
Blend yogurt mixture with a whip until smooth.
Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.
Add Cucumbers and dill to yogurt mixture.
Salt and pepper to taste.
----------GYROS------------.
Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl.
Crumb bread into meat mixture.
Add Spices and mix well.
Stir egg into meat mixture Form mixture into 2 large patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.
Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce.

I usually serve with fried potatoes and a great side salad with lots of cilantro. ENJOY! [Smile]

Show us the finishing results after wards take a picture of your own cooking then im know if its yum yum.I think im gonna do that with me take pics of what i cook and do here .
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily I have a great Greek restaurant five minutes drive away from our house...... it can't get any better than that! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YUMM!! See, if I make something like this in my one-person household, I'll be eating it for weeks! [Eek!]
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
my one-person household

You need to change that! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily ~ I know. I don't like it as much as I would like a two person household, but it's so hard to meet guys. [Frown] I even got a second job in a hardware store several years ago (testosterone heaven), but nothing. If you knew me, you would laugh at me working in a hardware store! [Razz] Between then and now, I was involved with an Egyptian guy for a while. You actually gave me advice when the whole thing fell apart. So here I am... searching for recipes and international friends.... [Smile]
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
update:

The Qur'aash might not really be cottage cheese [Embarrassed]
but it's diet cheese [Big Grin]

I am 100% certain though that Egypt has Ricotta cheese ... the packaging has a picture of a goat with horns on it [Big Grin] (seriously)

Is there a particular way to say this cheese in Arabic? That might help to find it where I am, this small town often carries *some* things but I miss them from not knowing what they're called in Arabic. [Smile]
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

I made gyros for the first time last night, and it turned out just perfect! Thanks for the recipe, Smuckers - you are indirectly responsible for one very happy household! [Wink]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ohh someone used MY recipe!? ((blushing))
I hope your husband enjoyed it, mine scarfed them down so quickly I was glad I had doubled the recipe. Easy to make, too eah? Ummm, I think we'll eat these again soon.
My hubby also loves taquitos, I may post the recipe to that one soon. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
SMUCKS WHAT IS fenugreek ?
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Does this help, mok-mok?

Smuckers - yes, husband wolfed it down as if he'd never been fed before [Wink] . You didn't warn us quite how HUGE the portions were... I couldn't finish mine, although it was delicious [Big Grin]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks but what is it exactly never seen it on a shelf in the supermarket here in the usa or i just wasnt looking for it
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Aren't you a chef ?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes but i never heard of it what does it taste like [Confused] answers woman !!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
get_over_it
Member # 11286

I can't describe it really (that's because I am a rubbish chef and only bought it for the first time yesterday to make this recipe [Wink] ).

It smells very strong though, almost curry-like. Since I tipped that bit out just now to take a photo, I can't get the smell out of my nose [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it must have cumin in it can you read the ingred.on the canister?
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Hmmm, it's not very helpful:

Ingredients: Ground fenugreek [Wink]

It says: "Fenugreek has a strong curry-like flavour and is often used in curry powders. Why not try adding to casseroles for a subtle curry spice flavour or to lentil soups and dhals. Fenugreek is also great in chutneys and pickles."

Sorry, that doesn't help a lot, does it? [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
no but thats OK i will try to find it today i am making them today for the family. my mouth is watering now
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek

-
Hey Smucks, did your milk supply increase after eating it? lol [Big Grin]

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) appears to be the herb that is most often used to increase milk supply. It is an excellent galactagogue, ...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fenugreek

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Mok ~ Maybe a whole foods market would have it.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i just made the ingredents. i cant wait to have them tonight. let ya know the sauce is banging [Razz]
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
Ricotta cheese?
where can I find some ricotta cheese here in Egypt? and what is it called in arabic.
have been thinking about making lasagna, and of course its best with a good ricotta, but been unable to locate some.
any ideas?

istamboli is the nearest to ricotta and much cheaper too [Wink]

fenugreek is used in hindi cooking
it is a little mustard coloured seed the size of a grain of rice and you crush it or it comes pwdered
gives a hindi flavour to cooking

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i just had my first homemade gyro wowow execellent smucks. thanks for the recipe [Razz]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
i just made the ingredents. i cant wait to have them tonight. let ya know the sauce is banging [Razz]

Banging? Has anybody ever known Mok-Mok to use this slang word? [Confused]
salexian
Member # 13086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salexian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll get fenugreek, either fresh, dried seeds or powdered, in any Indian grocer. You should be ablle to get it in Egypt, as it is a quick growing crop which I believe is sometimes used for animal fodder. You could substitute it for coriander (cilantro), but its not the same!

--------------------
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
banging !!!!!!!!! thats because it was so good. all the kids that work for me say it all the time when they like something i create at work.sorry i thought i was with them [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com