Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Tomaya

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tomaya
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this stuff called Tomaya (sp?) recently.
Its yogurt and garlic I think, but not too sure of what else is in there. You use it like a dip, and its white and creamy.
and its yummy.
anyone have any ideas on how to make it?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salexian
Member # 13086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salexian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only tamiya that I know are a type of fritter (a bit like falafel) which are made with dried broad (fava) beans. I usually serve them with a sauce made from tahina paste, yoghourt, garlic and coriander (cilantro). Could this be what you mean?

--------------------
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nah....its 2 different things, unfortunately.
the pronounciation in arabic is darn close, but not the same stuff.
just got a new egyptian cookbook (had a lightbulb moment..lol), and gotta see if its listed in there.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this too. Light green colour and garlicy, beautiful it was.
Wish I had asked the name of it... [Mad]

I would think it would be yogort, pepper or chilli powder, minced garlic, salt and a bit mint .

All whisked up in the blender and chilled?

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salexian
Member # 13086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salexian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure it is not the sauce I mention above?

--------------------
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com