Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » toum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: toum
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have googled toum and have come up with varying recipes. We had it at a restaurant in the Giza area....it had the name "moon" in it but I keep forgetting the full name of the restaurant and it's a chain....anyways it was awesome but the pictures in the recipes I'm finding aren't as white as the one we ate. Does anyone have a recipe that will make it come out as white as this? Someone suggested that I put potatoes in it but I don't recall it having a potatoey consistency. Here's a picture of it from the restaurant:

-

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats the same stuff that I had been asking about. Most restaurants will have it listed in Egypt as Tomaya. Found out yesterday that it is not a traditional egyptian thing..but its Lebanese.
I have been hooked on this stuff for about a week now. Love it for dipping most anything into it, and especially all kinds of raw veggies, or even as a salad dressing.
Its basically yogurt, a whole bunch of garlic cloves mashed fine, little olive oil and lemon juice and salt, and put it into a blender.
but mine didn't taste the same as the restaurant one does, so I am still searching for that missing flavor.
I have to go online and check out all the lebanese cooking websites.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe a tiny bit of mint JB, the ones I have are tinged green, just very slightly.
??

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 garlic bulb - crushed
1/2 - 2/3 cup of vegetable oil - (not olive oil)
3 tbs mayonaise
a squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & pepper
http://lebaneserecipes.com/Toum.htm

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had hubby (the poor man) go out last night to a restaurant here that has it already made, and had him bring home 3 of them.
Had it with some slices of tomatoes, and zuccini and cucumbers.
had the same thing for lunch just now too.
When I get hooked on something...I eat it till I am sick of it, then rediscover it 6 months later.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
better with the yogort instead of the oil and mayo maybe JB it will be more healthy if you are packing it away good style [Cool]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A fish called Jenny
Member # 13390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A fish called Jenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi pseudo, what's yogort??
Posts: 95 | From: New York, New York, so good you have to say it twice! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the recipe! I'll try it with the mayo first and if that's not it I'll do the yogurt, though the guy said there is no yogurt in it. It was at a Lebanese restaurant. I think it would taste awesome over a couple of grilled steaks or some chicken!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real way the Lebanese do it is with mayo. If you are dieting use yogurt.

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I made this last night for the first time after seeing it here and OMG I cannot stop eating it. This stuff is addictive!! [Mad]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
what did I tell ya smuck !
i warned ya.
try grilling a chicken and dipping it.
Shish ta wouk, kabobs....oh heck...its just good with everything.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i give i made it too i take pita bread and bake till crisp and add parm cheese on them then dip and dip [Razz] and dip

Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 04:38 AM Profile for With a name like Smuckers Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote So I made this last night for the first time after seeing it here and OMG I cannot stop eating it. This stuff is addictive!! [Mad]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
had a relative come over for a visit, and mentioned that I had tried to make this stuff, and told her that it just didn't taste the same as the stuff that we buy in the restaurant. She is egyptian, married to a lebanese/egyptian.
anyways...she said yogurt, potatoes, oil, lots of garlic and salt in a blender.

will have to try it again when I get ambitious.

Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
just found out today that 'toum' means garlic in arabic. [Smile]

measurements JB please..

--------------------
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
Most restaurants will have it listed in Egypt as Tomaya.

I think you may be mistaken. Tameya to most Egyptians is falafel (a fried fuul + spice pattie).
Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, she's right, there's "tomeya" and "t3ameya". One is the garlic dip, one is falafel.
It might sound similar in English, but it's different. Also, it's spelled very differently in Arabic, "tameya" is written with a "ta", followed by an "ayin", while "toum" is written with a "tha" at the beginning, followed by a "wow".
Hope that makes sense, lol. [Smile]

Btw, I find tomeya very similar to aioli, maybe a little bit lighter. So if I make it myself, I basically make an aioli with LOTS of garlic and add some yoghurt with 10% fat or sour cream.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in Alex they call it Falafel if I'm not mistaken, but everywhere else I've been they call it T3ameya.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com