Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Egyptian Flat Bread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Flat Bread
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me how to make flat bread? I'm not sure if that's the correct name. In the states it's usually called pita bread. The only problem with it here is that it is too doughy... too processed. I want to make the kind that's as big as a dinner plate and flatter than a pancake. And, of course, I'm hoping it is very easy to make. [Smile]
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flat Bread

1 c white bread flour
1 c 7 grain cereal (or wheat flour -optional)
3.5 c milk, warmed
1 Tbsp. yeast
3 tsp. salt
1/4 c. oil
Olive oil
Black cumin or flax seeds

Mix 5 cups of flour, grain, milk, yeast, salt and oil in a mixer bowl. Switch to bread dough hook; add 4 cups flour and knead. As kneading occurs, remaining flour can be used to form dough.

Allow dough to rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled.

Cooking: Form loaves of flat bread by rolling out 3/4 cup (handful) of dough into flat (1/4 inch or less) round loaves. Spray olive oil into bottom of pan (tortilla pan is good). Sprinkle small amount of seeds into loaves. "Fry" bread until browned.

Flip, spray more oil, and brown further. When bread is cooked, place on cooling rack and continue until dough is cooked.

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the recipe. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a mixer since I don't have a heavy duty one. Any chance there is a more primitive recipe/approach? Also, what is 7-grain cereal? And is there a recipe that can be baked instead of fried? I know I sound fussy, but I'm not sure this is the bread I'm thinking of. (Sorry [Frown] )
Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heyyy

I don't have a recipe for you but I will PM you and send you a link (it is a video). After 2 or 3 minutes you can see an Egyptian woman making this bread.
Is this the flat bread you mean ?? I ate it, it was ok but very hot [Smile]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to make this bread once, OMG it's difficult. You must have to be used to doing it or something, if you figure it out Gail let us know! [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
movingbackhome
Member # 13994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for movingbackhome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband calls this type of bread "lebanese bread"...i cant make any types of breads for the life of me

--------------------
Life is full of surprises!

Posts: 20 | From: Ismailia, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by movingbackhome:
my husband calls this type of bread "lebanese bread"...i cant make any types of breads for the life of me

don't feel bad, no one can, we simply buy them [Smile]
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love making bread.
Perhaps Mickey does too.
Though I have to admit it's much easier to do quick breads than yeast breads.
But they all taste yummy.
I'm making a loaf of banana bread this Friday evening to give away to someone on Saturday. My apartment will smell soooo good!
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
movingbackhome
Member # 13994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for movingbackhome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i cant get anything to rise thats my problem, but id love to be able to make french or italian bread...the smell of it baking is just soooo amazing

--------------------
Life is full of surprises!

Posts: 20 | From: Ismailia, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breadmaker! thats the answer, works brilliantly
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 09:31 PM Profile for LovedOne Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I love making bread.
Perhaps Mickey does too.
Though I have to admit it's much easier to do quick breads than yeast breads.
But they all taste yummy.
I'm making a loaf of banana bread this Friday evening to give away to someone on Saturday. My apartment will smell soooo good!

i don't bake much especially bread,sorry i cant be of help to you here.but young at heart is right we have a bread maker ,the loaves come out wonderful, but it wouldn't work for the flat bread. thats just plain hard to me. i watched my mil and sil doing it , wow what an experience , ill stick to my specialties [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com