Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Apple Recipes/Guy Fawkes Night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple Recipes/Guy Fawkes Night
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow is Guy Fawkes night and we're having a party with fireworks and a bonfire. I have loads of apples and want to make the most of them. Toffee apples are a must for Guy Fawkes but does anyone have any ideas that are a bit different that I could use? Thanks.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple Dumplings

Dough:
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder dash of salt
3 Tbs. sugar
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk

Filling:
2 cups green apples, peeled and sliced
sugar
cinnamon

egg wash:
1 egg

Syrup:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 hot cinnamon candies (optional)

Mix all dough ingredients together to form a soft dough. Roll out on floured pastry board to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut into 5 or 6 inch squares.

In a small bowl lightly coat cut apples with sugar. Place them on top of biscuit dough and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

In a small bowl, beat egg. Using a pastry brush, wet edges with egg and fold it over the apple, pinch and flute them to look well, and encase the apple completely. Brush the tops with egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Place on cookie sheet and bake at 425° for 25 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° for 30 minutes. Pour sauce over each dumpling at serving time.

Syrup directions:
Using all ingredients, bring to a boil on the stove and cook a couple of minutes. Add cinnamon candies and cook just until candy melts over low heat.

i love just taking caramels and melting them down and cut up your apples into slices and dipping them in. yummy [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caramel Apple Rice Pudding Tart -

Servings:
Serves 8

Total preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes.

Ingredients:

Pastry for one 9-inch pie crust
2 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
2 medium Fuji apples, halved, cored and sliced 1/8 inch
thick
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup prepared caramel sauce, room temperature

Method:

1) Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Evenly press crust into 10-inch tart pan; trim edges even with top of pan. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

2) Meanwhile in large nonstick skillet, heat butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Add apple slices and brandy; cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring until apples are tender. Remove from heat; cool.

3) In medium saucepan, combine rice, half-and-half, sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gradually stir 1/4 of hot pudding mixture into eggs; return egg mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.

4) Pour pudding mixture into partially-baked crust. Place apple slices on top of pudding overlapping in concentric circles starting at outside edge of tart. Bake 15 minutes or until pudding is set. Remove from oven; cool. Refrigerate covered 2 to 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, drizzle caramel sauce over tart.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Micky - that is perfect, especially as I can make them today and have all the ingredients here. Cinnamon is comforting and homely. [Smile]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
swys these are so easy to make and sooooooooooooo good on top of ice cream when warm

fried apples

INGREDIENTS:

* 8 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

PREPARATION:
Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sauté 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are tender.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky, they sound delicious, many thanks! I might save the one above, as it is so cold outside here now but I'll definitely try it. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i hope so you cant go wrong with the fried apples my mom makes them all the time the are so good and buttery .we just eat them as a side dish too
i am glad i can help have fun [Wink]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
I'll start cooking this afternoon, Micky. [Smile] I hope it comes out as well as you describe. Baking isn't my strong point. [Frown] Homemade pizza, pancakes and crepes is the closest I get to baking, normally. I appreciate your suggestions.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great recipes, Micky. [Smile]

We took the boys to the cidermill/apple orchard a couple weekends ago. We picked about 25lbs of apples so I had grand plans of making pies and cobblers. After giving apples to a couple friends and a neighbor and eating some, there weren't any left for the pies. [Frown]

Micky's recipes have inspired me to get more apples. [Smile]

Have fun with the Guy Fawke's night, SWYS. [Smile] The bon fire sounds fun!

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i know this has nothing to do with apples but i wanted to share it . i think the fried apples would go good with this [Smile]

CURRIED CHICKEN

(Serves 6)

* 4 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup no-sodium bottled water
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* 1/2 cup seedless golden raisins, packed
* 1/2 cup low-sugar apricot jam/preserves
* 2 cups nonfat plain low-sodium yogurt
* Pepper to taste

NOTE: This Indian dish is an excellent choice for guests. Add a little pepper to taste and they'll never know the salt is missing. Taste as you prepare and add more curry if you like. Serve on steamed basmati rice alongside asparagus spears or steamed broccoli.

Sauté the garlic and onion in the oil in a large nonstick pan. Wash chicken, pat dry, and add to the sauté; cook until brown. Add the water, raisins, jam or preserves, and curry powder, stirring as you do. Add the curry last. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes (or less if it looks done before). Stir frequently. You're done when the water is gone. Stir the yogurt into the mixture in the pan. Simmer at low, stirring constantly until the yogurt has heated; do not let it boil. Pepper to taste or reserve that for individual servings. Serve hot on a bed of steamed basmati rice.

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky...you did it again !
When are ya coming here girl???
gonna kidnap you at the airport, and tie you up in my kitchen.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
please do . i might be coming sooner then ya think. [Wink]
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Thanks, MW - we had a great time. So much so that we still had guests with us last night. It didn't rain, so we were very happy.

Micky, I made smaller versions of the dumplings. They were a tad crisp [Razz] around the edges, but a big hit. I also combined your apple idea with the rice suggestion, as it was so easy and warming. I placed a layer of the apple under warm, baked rice pudding. All were a huge hit. Many thanks, again. [Cool]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 05. November 2007, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Oscar ]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Automatically a Loser had been banned for trying to impersonate a 13 year old boy, attempting to write cyber for the first time. [Roll Eyes] He's now inside Luxor Lover's dress? [Eek!] What a funny little freak. Pitiful. [Roll Eyes]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky.....when when when !
[Cool]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
swys i am som glad it turned out ok . and that you had a great time.

jean bean you will be the first to know , my friend [Wink]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
I thought Automatically a Loser had been banned for trying to impersonate a 13 year old boy, attempting to write cyber for the first time. [Roll Eyes] He's now inside Luxor Lover's dress? [Eek!] What a funny little freak. Pitiful. [Roll Eyes]

So you haven't told me yet, is it lippy?
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Tomorrow is Guy Fawkes night and we're having a party with fireworks and a bonfire. I have loads of apples and want to make the most of them. Toffee apples are a must for Guy Fawkes but does anyone have any ideas that are a bit different that I could use? Thanks.

SWYS, so sorry I just saw this! I missed a couple of good recipes that might have been good...sorry! [Frown] I hope your recipes came out well and you enjoyed the festivities. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
smucks give us some anyway plzzzzzzz , i'd like to hear them. always in the mood to find new recipes [Razz]
thanks in advance

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
I still have loads of apples, so more recipes would be welcome. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Easy Apple Cake

Yield: 5 Servings

4 x Apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 c Sugar
1/2 ts Cinnamon

1/2 c Sugar
2 tb Soft Butter or Margarine
1 x Egg
1/4 ts Vanilla
1 c Flour
1 ts Baking Powder

Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
Mix together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 t cinnamon. Place a layer of apples in greased baking dish (approximately 5" x 9" x 3"), sprinkle with half the sugar-cinnamon mixture, cover with remaining apples and cover with remaining sugar-cinnamon. Cream 1/2 cup sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Stir in flour and baking powder and spoon over apples, spreading it as best as you can.
Bake 30 minutes Best served warm, with vanilla ice cream.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here is a good one:

Apple Cinnamon Empanadas

-

Ingredients

For the apple filling:
4 apples
½ cup raisins (optional)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
¼ cup white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
¼ cup brown sugar

For the empanada dough:
1½ cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter (one stick cut into small pieces)
2-4 tablespoons ice water, plus extra if needed
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon water

Prepare the filling:

Peel and core the apples, and cut them into ¼-inch dice. Toss them with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. When the foam begins to subside, add the apples and stir well to coat. Lower the heat to medium and cook the apples for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the minced lemon zest, cornstarch, freshly ground cinnamon and nutmeg, ¼ cup of white sugar and the brown sugar. When the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Prepare the empanada dough:
Mix the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix well. Add the chilled butter pieces and pulse in short bursts to cut the flour and the butter together. The mixture should resemble crumbs. Do not overmix. Slowly drizzle in ice water a little at a time, and process just until the mixture comes together into a ball. If it’s a little dry, add just a splash more of the ice water, being careful not to add too much. The mixture should just hold its shape. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Sprinkle a clean countertop with a little flour and roll out each piece of dough from the center outward, rotating occasionally, until the dough is slightly less than ¼-inch thick, and about 6 inches in diameter. Use a little more flour, as necessary, if the dough becomes sticky. Dust the circles with flour, stack them, and wrap in plastic wrap while you roll out the rest. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl and set aside.

Working with one circle of dough at a time, place about 2 tablespoons of filing in the center. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, brush a little of the egg wash on the outside of the dough and fold each circle over, pressing to close. Crimp the edges to form a fluted finish, and lay on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the empanadas with additional egg wash, then sprinkle with the remaining white sugar, and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minnutes, until the pastry is golden brown.

Remove from the oven and serve warm. You may also serve with your favorite ice cream, or with a dusting of powdered sugar and some freshly ground cinnamon.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yummy smucks sounds delish [Razz]

California chicken salad

1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 Red Delicious apple, cored and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted chopped hazelnuts
3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion or green onion
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken)
Soft lettuce leaves

Method:

1) In large bowl, combine yogurt and mayonnaise.

2) Add apple, celery, 1/4 cup hazelnuts, onion, salt, and pepper.

3) Stir in chicken. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, garnished with remaining tablespoon hazelnuts, or refrigerate until serving.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Apple Fritters

-

1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold beer (not dark) NON-ALCHOLIC IS OK
10 cups vegetable oil
2 apples (1 lb), peeled, halved lengthwise, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt, then add beer and whisk to combine. Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot until thermometer registers 375°F.
Dip apple slices in batter, shaking off excess, and fry, about 8 at a time, until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Transfer fritters with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm, dusted with confectioners sugar.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
I enjoyed reading these, Smuckers and Micky. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com