Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Thai Coconut Curry(peanut) Chicken

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thai Coconut Curry(peanut) Chicken
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This rich curry chicken recipe is extraordinary! Combining coconut and peanut with other spices - such as cumin and coriander - makes for an exquisitely-Thai curry. And cooking it in a clay pot means the chicken turns out fall-off-the-bone tender. If you don't have a clay pot, you can also make this curry using your wok or frying pan. Added to the dish are strips of red bell pepper, fresh coriander, plus fresh chili and lime leaves for a simply sumptuous chicken curry that calls for seconds - and thirds!

INGREDIENTS:

* SERVES 2-4
* 1/2 medium chicken, cut into pieces (drumsticks, wings, breast, etc...)
* 2/3 can good-quality coconut milk (reserve the "creamy" top 1/3 of the can for the sauce below)
* 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
* 2-3 kaffir lime leaves (can be purchased dried or frozen at most Asian/Chinese stores)
* 1 red bell pepper, sliced
* FOR CURRY SAUCE:
* 2 Tbsp. whole cumin seeds
* 1 Tbsp. whole coriander seeds
* 1-2 fresh red chilies, minced OR 1-3 tsp. chili sauce (depending on how spicy you want your curry)
* 1/3 can coconut milk
* 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
* 3 cloves garlic
* 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (+ more to taste)
* 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (+more to taste)
* 1 Tbsp. lime juice
* 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 2 tsp. shrimp paste (available by the jar at Asian/Chinese food stores)
* 2 kaffir lime leaves (see above for where to purchase)
* 1 tsp. tamarind paste mixed with 2 Tbsp. water (available by the jar at both Asian/Chinese stores and Indian stores)
* GARNISH:
* handful of coriander leaves and a few whole roasted peanuts
* optional: whole red chilies

PREPARATION:

1. Place chicken pieces in a clay pot, OR a wok or deep-sided frying pan. Add 2/3 can coconut milk (use the watery lower 2/3 of the can, reserving the top 1/3 for later). Also add 2 Tbsp. fish sauce plus 2-3 kaffir lime leaves. Stir well.

2. If Using a Clay Pot: Place the clay pot directly on the burner over low heat for a few minutes to warm up the pot. Then turn the heat up to medium-high, until the coconut milk starts to bubble. Turn down heat to medium-low, just high enough that the chicken is simmering nicely. Note that clay pots retain heat better than steel or other cooking pots, so you won't need as high a heat to get the same results. Cover and allow to simmer 30-45 minutes while you make the curry sauce.

3. If Using a Wok or Frying Pan: Turn heat up to medium-high until coconut milk begins to bubble. Then turn the heat down to medium - you want the chicken to simmer nicely in the coconut milk mixture. Cover and allow to simmer while you make the curry sauce (30 to 45 minutes).

4. This curry sauce requires an extra step - but it's a fun one, and you'll see that the results are worth the extra effort! Place the whole cumin and coriander seeds in a dry frying pan (no oil) over medium heat. "Stir-fry" the spices until they begin to roast and fill your kitchen with fragrance. Keep stirring, or they may burn. Remove from heat when they begin to look brown (after several minutes of roasting).

5. Grind these roasted spices with a pestle & mortar, or by using a coffee grinder. You should end up with a fine, dark powder.

6. You will also need to grind the roasted peanuts. A food processor (or blender) will do the job quickly. To grind the peanuts by hand: Use a pestle & mortar to smash the nuts. OR place peanuts in a plastic bag (a zip-lock bag works well). Remove the air and seal, then "hammer" the peanuts (from the outside)with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin until they are ground up fairly fine.

7. Place ground roasted spices and ground peanuts together in a sauce pan. Add the 1/3 can coconut milk, plus the rest of the curry sauce ingredients (fresh chili or chili sauce, minced garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, shrimp paste, lime leaves, and tamarind paste plus water).

8. Stir well and place over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until peanuts have softened. (Don't worry about the taste for now, as the sauce will be "watered down" by the juices from the chicken.)

9. Check the chicken - if it's nearly done, it's time to add the sauce. Pour sauce over chicken in the hot pot, wok, or frying pan. Stir well to incorporate the peanut curry sauce with the coconut milk-chicken juices.

10. Taste-test for salt, spice, and sweetness, adding more fish sauce (instead of salt), and brown sugar if not sweet enough. If not spicy enough, add a few whole chilies or fresh-cut chilies, OR chili sauce.

11. Optional: for an extra creamy curry, OR if you find the curry too spicy: Add an additional 1/4 cup coconut cream (or thick coconut milk). Stir this in right before serving.

12. Continue to simmer the curry for 2-3 more minutes, or until the red pepper turns bright in color and has softened slightly.

13. Garnish with fresh coriander and a few whole roasted peanuts. Serve with plenty of Thai jasmine-scented rice, and ENJOY!!

Recipe Courtesy: Darlence Schmidt. I used one of her recipes before and i will try this recipe also.

I'll grade it after i am done cooking.

-

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will double this recipe because half a chicken for all this cooking simply won't due. I also noticed that curry recipes taste better after having been frozen. This is my opinion of course but some dishes taste excellent as left overs - all though this dish will be eaten for lunch and dinner - i think. I am thinking about making thai hot and sour soup and if this recipe isn't a chore, i might just do that.

I have everything but the lime leaves but that is okay because lemon juice is an appropriate substitute.

Ingredients:

-

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exiled, you've made my mouth water!
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Roasting cumin and coriander seeds.

-

Grinding the above seeds after roasting them – did the same to the peanuts - Although I placed them in a plastic bag and then bashed them as instructed in the recipe.

-

The Chicken is cooking in coconut milk.

-

The Curry Peanut sauce goes into the chicken.

-

The finished product.

-

And of course the rice.

-

This dish was very delicious. Mine turned out lighter because I used more coconut milk than the recipe asked for. I do this to make extra curry sauce which I then use for dips. The peanut taste combined with the spices is simply amazing. Thais definitely have it going on with their dishes and as a result I am hooked.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
look wonderful. i think ill make you cook for me, ill be the student from now on. great job A [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Wow that looks absolutely delicious

[Cool]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep i'm gonna try that one out my favorite tastes peanut,coconut chicken [Razz]
x by the way fantastic pics of how to x

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

It was delicious - i ate a serving for breakfast today and the chicken probably marinated overnight in the peanut curry sauce because it tasted amazing.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
The peanut taste combined with the spices is simply amazing. Thais definitely have it going on with their dishes and as a result I am hooked.

I love peanut sauce. I made Gado-Gado for some friends last night; it's an Indonesian dish which basically consists of different steamed vegetables (i.e. broccoli, bean sprouts, mushrooms, ocra, spinach, carrots), fried tofu and basmati rice served with a very thick spicy peanut sauce made with lots of fresh ginger and garlic, topped with fresh coriander.
Whenever I make this dish I make a huge batch of the sauce and keep in the fridge or freezer for a while. It transforms simple veggies or rice into a yummy dish.

If I make a Thai curry I usually do it the lazy way by mixing some curry paste with coconut milk and pouring it over the veggies and rice.

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com