Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Umm Ali

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Umm Ali
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody have a good Umm Ali recipe? I want a real and tried recipe not the internet ones, which I've tried, and they didn't turn out very nice.

Thank you.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got this recipe from my ex's mom. i dont like sweet stuff very much, but every else seems to love it.

10oz cooked puff pastry (or thin dry pita bread)
1/4-1/2 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup flaked almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
a little cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons rose water
1 cup light cream ... screw it go all fat:)

grease a round, glass baking dish, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Crumble the pastry into the dish and mix with the nuts and lemon juice.

Heat the milk, sugar and cinnamon but dont let it boil, then slowly add the beaten egg. Pour this over the pastry mixture in the dish, and sprinkle with rose water. Top with the cream and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden.

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m.e.
Member # 14680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m.e.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I love this stuff & was looking for a recipe...thanks!
Posts: 169 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsaa
Member # 15063

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsaa   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also you can useكرواسان cut it small pieces and preheat the oven to 375 degrees and put it in the oven until golden. boil the milk and you can add 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, vanilla powder to the milk after you get the كرواسان from the oven add the hot milk , nuts and if you have whipped cream you can put it on the top and put back to oven until golden.
Posts: 26 | From: usa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yasmine, have you tried the Morris' restaurant yet in Sydney? The website says it's the only Egyptian restaurant in this area. True?

Unfortunately their menu card doesn't mention any Umm Ali.

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0015/52/32/

Has your mom visited Australia so far? You need to take cooking lessons from her while she's there next time.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I did Tigerlily and it was AWFUL. I was so upset that the only Egyptian restaraunt in Sydney could be so vile. But there's this Tv program here in Sydney, where a famous chef goes to bad restaraunts and helps them fix it. A couple of months ago they went to Morris, and helped him redocorate the restaraunt, and improve his cooking. So my husband and I want to go and see if it has improved.

The owner of the restaraunt, Morris Hanna, used to be the mayor of the suburb I live in. He's a nice guy.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Has your mom visited Australia so far? You need to take cooking lessons from her while she's there next time.

Yeah my mom visited twice, the last time was in January 08. And believe me my mother would be the last person I would take cooking lessons from. She can't even make proper eggs. She's great at cleaning, my house sparkles when she comes. But cooking is just not her thing. [Big Grin]
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM ALI
ALI'S MOM
LOVE ON THE AIR

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
Yeah I did Tigerlily and it was AWFUL. I was so upset that the only Egyptian restaraunt in Sydney could be so vile. But there's this Tv program here in Sydney, where a famous chef goes to bad restaraunts and helps them fix it. A couple of months ago they went to Morris, and helped him redocorate the restaraunt, and improve his cooking. So my husband and I want to go and see if it has improved.

The owner of the restaraunt, Morris Hanna, used to be the mayor of the suburb I live in. He's a nice guy.

Ahhh .... that's such a pity. [Frown] I hope he's able to hire a native who knows how to cook well classic Egyptian food!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com