Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Bruschetta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bruschetta
Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A month ago I attempted to make bruschetta on my own.

What a disaster! Used the tomato bruschetta recipee from whole foods but I could taste the balsamic vinegar more than anything.

I do buy 'Santa Barbara' brand bruschatta from kolwaski's market and is fabulous. Don't see any ingredients on the label I didn't use and my homemade stuff was a disaster.

Any recipee suggestions that ESers have had personal success with?

I'd appreciate the gesture immensely.

Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 slices Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons small capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Place bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on each slice bread. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
3. While bread is toasting, mix remaining ingredients. Spoon tomato mixture onto bread slices. Serve at room temperature.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
p666ats
Member # 8566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for p666ats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks YUMMY

--------------------
Patsy

Posts: 104 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks alllllllllllll mine [Razz] [Razz] .
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recipe for The Ultimate Bruschetta

1-1/2 lb. plum tomatoes
2 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
6 tbsp. olive oil
4 slices crusty Italian bread
Salt and pepper, for seasoning
Parmesan cheese, for topping

Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out seeds and juice. Chop tomatoes into small dice; place in bowl. Add onion, garlic, basil, vinegar, half of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour. Drain liquid. On barbecue grill or under broiler, toast bread on both sides until golden brown. Quickly brush one side of each slice with remaining olive oil. Spoon tomato mixture on top. Either serve immediately, slices cut in half, or return to heat to melt a little Parmesan cheese on top.

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Recipe (pronounced "brusketta")

* 6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
* 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

* 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
* 1/4 cup olive oil

Method

1 Prepare the tomatoes first. Parboil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain. Using a sharp small knife, remove the skins of the tomatoes. (If the tomatoes are too hot, you can protect your finger tips by rubbing them with an ice cube between tomatoes.) Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area. Why use plum tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes? The skins are much thicker and there are fewer seeds and less juice.

2 Make sure there is a top rack in place in your oven. Turn on the oven to 450°F to preheat.

3 While the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4 Slice the baguette on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven, so you may need to do these in batches depending on the size of your oven. Once the oven has reached 450°F, place a tray of bread slices in the oven on the top rack. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.

Alternatively, you can toast the bread without coating it in olive oil first. Toast on a griddle for 1 minute on each side. Take a sharp knife and score each slice 3 times. Rub some garlic in the slices and drizzle half a teaspoon of olive oil on each slice. This is the more traditional method of making bruschetta.

5 Align the bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up. Either place the tomato topping in a bowl separately with a spoon for people to serve themselves over the bread, or place some topping on each slice of bread and serve. If you top each slice with the tomatoes, do it right before serving or the bread may get soggy.

Makes 24 small slices. Serves 6-10 as an appetizer. Or 3-4 for lunch (delicious served with cottage cheese on the side.)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com