Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » REcipe for fattah????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: REcipe for fattah????
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have recently finally tried eating fattah. the description of rice and soup on bread really does not do it justice. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe for making it at home, or is it really that simple.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fataḥ (Arabic: فتح‎) is a major Palestinian political party and the largest faction of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), a multi-party confederation.

do you mean fateer? [Razz]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara ali
Member # 17330

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara ali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fattah is a traditional dish at Eid-ul-Adha. It's pretty easy to make. One of the best recipes I've found is on wasfa sahla (great source for all recipes). I modify it a bit...but it's almost the same.

http://www.wasfasahla.com/cooking_recipes.aspx?section=ck1513&recipeId=124

I use tomato sauce, not tomato paste and water. I don't use margarine.. ever. (Butter or olive oil, if needed.) Also, my husband's famliy likes to "fry" the meat after boiling it.

With the left over beef broth from boiling the meat, we make "bird tongue (orzo, not real bird tongues)" soup. Basically, you just boil some orzo in the stock.. add a few cardamon pods... and then salt/pepper to taste. Add in lemon when done. It's very simple.. .but a great appetizer.

Posts: 1 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what the OP is talking about. It is not popular in Egypt and actually never seen it once there. I have had several variations of it, Lebanese alone have like a dozen different Fatah recipes. I've also tried Syrian Fatah, Gulf Fatah and I have had more than enough of my fair share in Amman.

I've never heard of fatah with tomatoes, though. Quite interesting actually. To give you an idea of the kind that I eat here, it is made from bread baladi, hummus with a mix of labneh, they top this with almonds or some nuts that are called (snooober) and samnah. This is the cold version. Then there's the hot version and that is delcious as well. Then there are the meat version where they top it with either Shawarama chicken slices, or meat slices.

Sorry I don't have a recipe at hand as I've never made this at home, but it is one of the most delicious recipes to eat for breakfast or Dinner. And I will get a recipe and when I do i'll share it.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Shawarma this Exiled? [Smile]

http://www.cafetuana.com/v2/images/products/32540871_tuana_doner.png

We call it döner and it is original Turkish food [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
Is Shawarma this Exiled? [Smile]

http://www.cafetuana.com/v2/images/products/32540871_tuana_doner.png

We call it döner and it is original Turkish food [Smile]

Hey Shah, yeah that is shawerama, and please forgive me for calling it shawarma. You know the arabs love stealing delcious recipes and calling them their own. [Big Grin]

We actually have a fake Turkish restaurant around the hood. It's up the block from Jordan University, some Palestinian fell in love with some Turkish babe, married her and now he thinks he's Turkish, hence a fake Turkish restaurant is borne [Big Grin]

BTW the shawarama errr I mean Doner in your pics look delicious. [Smile]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Exiled !!! [Smile]

I have no problem with shawarama but I have problem with 'Greek sandwich' thing [Mad] That is how they call it in France..
Those wacko Greeks call Turkish coffee as Greek coffee as well [Mad]

quote:
We actually have a fake Turkish restaurant around the hood. It's up the block from Jordan University, some Palestinian fell in love with some Turkish babe, married her and now he thinks he's Turkish, hence a fake Turkish restaurant is borne
Lool [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
Hey Exiled !!! [Smile]

I have no problem with shawarama but I have problem with 'Greek sandwich' thing [Mad] That is how they call it in France..
Those wacko Greeks call Turkish coffee as Greek coffee as well [Mad]

quote:
We actually have a fake Turkish restaurant around the hood. It's up the block from Jordan University, some Palestinian fell in love with some Turkish babe, married her and now he thinks he's Turkish, hence a fake Turkish restaurant is borne
Lool [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I can imagine it would be frustrating to have your original recipes robbed from your culture.

The "greek sandwich" it's called the Gyro. That's what's it's called in America. Both Greek and Turkish restaurants sell it, but it is marketed as Greek Gyro (heero), even in big events like state fairs.

The Greeks are indeed crazy if they are trying to call Turkish Coffee - Greek Coffee. That's like one of the most popular coffees in the world. And it's known the world over as Turkish Coffee, but Turkey should do something about it to market it as their own, or in 10-20 years the new generation might call it Greek Coffee, and that would be a shame.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Ohh exactly like you said Exiled... Turks should do something about it.

But you know what? Another fight is going on about baklava's origin. They say it is originally Greek, not Turkish [Big Grin]

Tell me, can this be Greek ya3ni?? [Smile]

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I'm sorry Shah, I thought it was Arabic dessert [Razz]

You know something Shah, people are ignorant of the origins of many of these foods (including me) and that's why their identity is stolen. The Baklava though and many passteries I know they are of Turkish orgins. But in Jordan/Egypt and other Arab countries they are known as Lebanese/Syrian.

Yes, Turkey is robbed of a lot of good credit for delicious foods. A shame actually.

Actually if I think about it, I eat a lot of food that is of Turkish Origin. I think your ministry of Culture/Tourism needs more creative leadership.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

At least, we know the name baklava comes from the very Old Turkish 'baklağu, baklağı' So that tells something about the origin I guess [Smile] [Razz]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
I know what the OP is talking about. It is not popular in Egypt and actually never seen it once there. I have had several variations of it, Lebanese alone have like a dozen different Fatah recipes. I've also tried Syrian Fatah, Gulf Fatah and I have had more than enough of my fair share in Amman.

I've never heard of fatah with tomatoes, though. Quite interesting actually. To give you an idea of the kind that I eat here, it is made from bread baladi, hummus with a mix of labneh, they top this with almonds or some nuts that are called (snooober) and samnah. This is the cold version. Then there's the hot version and that is delcious as well. Then there are the meat version where they top it with either Shawarama chicken slices, or meat slices.

Sorry I don't have a recipe at hand as I've never made this at home, but it is one of the most delicious recipes to eat for breakfast or Dinner. And I will get a recipe and when I do i'll share it.

Are you serious? Fattah is VERY popular in Egypt. i used to have it at least once a month. But the Egyptian one is different because it doesn't have yoghurt.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
layla13
Member # 17343

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for layla13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a place called Arzak arabian fast food resturant has chicken fattah. its awesome. ive made it at home with flatbread and soup and chicken. with leftover fresh tomato garlic sauce on top of the rice. really good. the first time i heard of it was egypt.
Posts: 9 | From: al-dahar, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by layla13:
a place called Arzak arabian fast food resturant has chicken fattah.

I love Arzak. Great kushari and yummy lentil soup.  -

http://www.arzakegypt.com/

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com