Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » good spice store in hurgada?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: good spice store in hurgada?
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of some good places to buy spices in Hurgada? Someone from another board is living there temporarily and needs spices to make some yummy indian food. Thanks!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, spice shop doodle there are hundreds of them. Coriander you can get fresh, cumin and curry powder you can get almost anywhere but you might have problems with things like Garam Masala [Big Grin]

where you been hiding anyway? [Confused]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm indian food.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a really good curry in Luxor just off St joseph street Luxor city
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Coriander you can get fresh, cumin and curry powder you can get almost anywhere but you might have problems with things like Garam Masala [Big Grin]

It's better to make your own Garam Masala anyway ... just takes a few minutes. [Smile]

Most of the spices you need in Indian cooking are easily available in Egypt. Of course the fresh ones from the spice store are better, but you can even get them at Metro etc. They usually don't carry methi (fenugreek / habbahan in Arabic) though, for that you need to go to a spice store.
I buy it by the kilo (because I use it for my hair and face too) and grind it in a Moulinex.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
They usually don't carry methi (fenugreek / habbahan in Arabic) though, for that you need to go to a spice store.
I buy it by the kilo (because I use it for my hair and face too) and grind it in a Moulinex.

explain [Confused]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I add it to my henna and indigo packs. It's good for hair and scalp. But also, it contains saponins, thus it gives the henna mixture a very smooth consistency so it's much easier to apply and doesn't drop. Indigo (usually sold as "black henna") has a more crumbly texture than henna which makes it harder to apply, but with the fenugreek added it is much better.

You can also add it to mud masks etc., it's good for skin too.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000642

Oops, just noticed I made a mistake. It's "7elba"! Habbahan is cardamom.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
lol, spice shop doodle there are hundreds of them. Coriander you can get fresh, cumin and curry powder you can get almost anywhere but you might have problems with things like Garam Masala [Big Grin]

where you been hiding anyway? [Confused]

here there and everywhere. [Smile] I don't get to use the internet at work much anymore and when I'm home I'm a busy bee with the kids and hubby. We're good though [Big Grin]
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
I add it to my henna and indigo packs. It's good for hair and scalp. But also, it contains saponins, thus it gives the henna mixture a very smooth consistency so it's much easier to apply and doesn't drop. Indigo (usually sold as "black henna") has a more crumbly texture than henna which makes it harder to apply, but with the fenugreek added it is much better.

You can also add it to mud masks etc., it's good for skin too.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000642

Oops, just noticed I made a mistake. It's "7elba"! Habbahan is cardamom.

I've used cardamom in only one recipe so far, hadn't even heard of it before that. For some reason when I sprinkle just a little on chicken when making chicken soup it makes it taste so good but when I smell it it's too perfumey.

Spices that the hubster loves are cumin and coriander and red pepper. It's hard though because my kids hate the smell of cumin so I can't cook things the way he likes unless they're at their dad's house.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com