Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Mousaka...for ayisha

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mousaka...for ayisha
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mousaka
1 1/2 lb. Potatoes
1 cup Olive Oil
1 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 fnely chopped Onion
1 minced Garlic
1 1/2 lb. Aubergines
2 tablespoons Butter
3 peeled and chopped Tomatoes
2 teaspoons Salt
dash of Pepper
2 tablespoons, toasted Breadcrumbs
3 Eggs
Parsley
Bechamel Sauce
1/2 lb. Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup Kefalotiri Cheese

Cut aubergines into 1/3 inch slices. Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry aubergine slices a few at a time, until slightly browned. Do the same with the potatoes.

Saute the meaat, onion, and garlic in the butter. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, over a low heat, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs, 1 beaten egg and chopped parsley.

Prepare bechamel sauce; add remaining eggs and cheeses.

Butter a baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Put one layer of potatoes into the baking dish. Cover with half the meat mixture. Alternate aubergine and meat mixture. Top with bechamel sauce and bake.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooh apart from the cheese I think I can get everything here! will give that a try out, thanks Micky [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky can this be frozen?

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
oooh apart from the cheese I think I can get everything here!

You can substitute parmesan or old gibna romi for the kefalotiri.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Micky can this be frozen?

yes it can
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
its in the oven now [Frown]

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck . i hope it turns out yummyyyyyyyyy [Razz]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
its fooked!

I tried to get it done before 'im a head chef get outta my kitchen' came but was too late. he took over put the oven on too low then after half hour turned it off and put it under the grill [Frown] [Frown] I could scream!

--------------------

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably should have skipped the potatoes . . . it would have cooked faster and the "head chef" would have arrived too late!! [Wink]

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
update,
it turned out quite well in the end, put it as a 'todays special' after Ferret and myself had a taste and sold 4 lots in 2 hours :ekk:

im well happy [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
update:
it turned out quite well in the end,I put it as a 'todays special' after Ferret and myself had a taste and sold 4 lots in 2 hours :ekk:

im well happy [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
bravo AYISHA, clapping my hands with joy..hows the gang doing? ferret and Kal there ?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Ferret and Kalila are fine, well they were last night when they were going off to kareoke at their hotel. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
update:
it turned out quite well in the end,I put it as a 'todays special' after Ferret and myself had a taste and sold 4 lots in 2 hours :ekk:

im well happy [Big Grin]

Obviously, being in a town like Luxor competition is rare, so anything would be 'todays special'.. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
not so Dzosser, lots of competition here. Restaurants and hotels every 10 paces [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not so Dzosser, lots of competition here. Restaurants and hotels every 10 paces [Big Grin]

Nothing to write home about..probably. [Frown] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
come and see for yourself [Razz]

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
update:

im well happy [Big Grin]

Obviously, being in a town like Luxor competition is rare, so anything would be 'todays special'.. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

i didnt know it was a competition [Eek!]
good for you girl, do you do this often?
shut up dzosser [Big Grin] [Wink]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
its not a competition micky. I manage a restaurant which should have 3 chefs, I fired one, the owner fired another so im left with one chef. We should have 'Specials' on the board but this chef only knows 3 which I am sick of seeing! So tried my hand at a new one which worked out well [Big Grin] Sweet and Sour next [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
come and see for yourself [Razz]

Maybe if there's enough Mousaka left.. [Smile] You scored 11111..halleluja. [Cool]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
so cool...i have plenty of specials for you..i do them everyday..so if you need help let me know , and what you want to cook, when i come over ill help you [Wink]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Micky, why don't you come over to Luxor [Roll Eyes] and start your own business ? This way we'll guarantee some 'real' competition with Ayisha's...you could easily kick ass too. [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Dzosser I will make one just for you [Big Grin]

I made Lasagne few weeks ago from scratch, (no I dont have a machine) made it at home though just incase it turned out wrong. Took ages to make but was fantastic. next day was going to take some to work but hubby had eaten it all [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Micky, why don't you come over to Luxor [Roll Eyes] and start your own business ? This way we'll guarantee some 'real' competition with Ayisha's...you could easily kick ass too. [Big Grin]

i plan on coming to egypt within the next year..we were thinking about opening a restaurant not sure where though.it would be an international cuisine, cause i like all kinds of food and can cook them quite [Razz] well ...so i am told
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Ayisha you poor thing [Frown] Lasagne is sold ready made in every super market under the sun..what machine ?? Are you an Amish ? [Confused] [Razz]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
pasta machine silly man [Big Grin] and there is nothing like homemade pasta or Lasagna noodles
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Dzosser, I have made Lasagne many many times but this one with home made pasta was truely the best I have ever had. I was surprised it made such a difference. I will buy a machine as soon as I find one which will make things easier and faster though.

also the recipe I used was from an Italian cookbook, it added milk to the meat mix which I have never done before. I had to omit the red wine and bacon though but it made a difference.

I am sooo glad to be back to enjoying cooking again after too many years, so is hubby [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
ayisha , you are right i always use milk in with my bread to soak for my meatballs..it comes out so light nothing like the ones that feel so heavy and dense
my first MIL taught me that and she also put in fresh garlic , parsley and parm cheese too 1 egg and the soaked bread cubes
she was from italy ..straight from the boat [Smile]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
I wish I knew how to cook.. [Frown] Lucky hubby. [Wink]
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who buys frozen lasagna? I think it's great she cooked it up from scratch....can't beat the taste..
Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to state that the Moussaka was lush... as were the cookies [Wink]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
she made cookies too? [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
no, chef made the cookies, mine are better though [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He made fab cookies, they were burnt at the bottom... yummy.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
this is Egypt, everything gets burnt at the bottom! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
As a rule I don't even slightly burnt anything but burnt cookies are lush.. think they remind me of my Grans cooking [Wink]

I had lush milkshakes at your place as well. Hmmm, is my diet childlike [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com