Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Chronicles of A Modern Nomad (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chronicles of A Modern Nomad
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My upcoming travels which were originally scheduled for February, then late January will now begin in a week. I'm keeping my promise to Tina and Sash and will post updates as well as tons of pics. The objective will be business and pleasure. The itinerary isn't final but that's okay because going with the flow is beautiful. But you can expect Malaysia and either Thailand or Hong Kong. Maybe even both, I really don't know yet, I do know that I will share some lovely sites with you guys, some lovely food and an exotic island or two.

Yeah I'm hyped. Preparations are under way, my wife will be with me so it will be a little different. Basically I will be more responsible and not as carefree as my protective instincts will take over. It's all good, so this space is officially reserved.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a nice trip Exiled [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
Have a nice trip Exiled [Smile]

Thanks Shah [Smile] I'm looking forward to it.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats wonderful "A" HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND A SAFE ONE...what a great thing to look forward to , at the beginning of this new year [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
thats wonderful "A" HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND A SAFE ONE...what a great thing to look forward to , at the beginning of this new year [Wink]

Thanks Micky and I'll be safe. I'm actually very astute when it comes to traveling and safety. Besides, those Asians mess with me, I'll do some Kung-Fu on their asses [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just hope they dont do some Tae Kwon Do on your ass..or they will have to answer to me
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
just hope they dont do some Tae Kwon Do on your ass..or they will have to answer to me

[Smile] I knew you got my back. I will be on my best behavior though. [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
good boy
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Micky, I read what you wrote in 'what are you doing now' thread. I will stay in touch and I will post regularly while I am traveling.

I'll update this thread with whatever is going on during my travels. It'll be fun and I know some members here enjoy it too.

I'm taking a laptop, so I'll defintely be in touch. I got my axel rose bandana ready and my blue axel rose sunglasses ready too, I'm ready to Rock n Roll. [Smile]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Finalized some things today. Took my new pants to the tailor to have them sew an interior pocket one each pair. I do this for precaution as I leave my valid passport, some cash and credit card inside the interior (hidden pocket) and an expired passport, expired ATM card and about $200 cash in my wallet in the pocket of my pants.

Formulated a list of songs that I want to have in my mp3 player. I'll download them tomorrow.

Contacted some of my KL shill-ah (posse), I miss my peeps there. Looking so forward to dining and drinking Hoegaarden draught like old times. Damn I miss them.

Made reservations for dinner at a Japanese restaurant, one of the better places in KL. Fresh seafood, fresh Oysters, fresh sushi, they even have Kobe beef.

I miss my friends the most and I never knew that until I emailed them and spoke to some of them. I think I'm like one of the most selfish persons on the face of the planet. It's always been my way, I dispose of people like there is no tomorrow. Some people are genuine, I left KL and pretended like no one there mattered. This is my routine, I get as much as I want and move on. I have no idea why I'm writing this but I do know it is relevant to this trip.

I know things will never be the same and I understood that by conversing with some of them, one in particular lost his restaurant, and is now working. Another one actually grew an ego, but it's all good. I'm just happy that I'm not starting from scratch. As I would rather rebuild broken bridges before I build new ones.

It's beautiful, It's an oppurtunity to make things good.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Already got my arena ticket seat for the new upcoming chapters of this Chronicles.

[Cool]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Already got my arena ticket seat for the new upcoming chapters of this Chronicles.

[Cool]

Nice to see you have your seat reserved, Sash. The Chronicles will be in full effect this weekend. [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Day: 1

Hey Guys,

Touchdown, I'm here, I'm exhausted, Just had a plate of fresh oysters and few pints of beer. It's all good.

The hours are absolutely aweful. My wife couldn't resist the bed, it's like 8pm here but it's actually 2pm our time, so imagine being up all night until 2pm the next day with no sleep, and while traveling.

Actually my eyes are red as hell, I don't care I have my shades on, I'm too excited to sleep. Cairo once had this much love from me, yeah KL is awesome.

I mean I just ate 5 fresh oysters for 12 ringgits ($3) and before I head off to bed myself I'm going to enjoy a 3-4 pints of Guniness Draught ($4.50 a pint) and that should make me sleep like a baby.

Sorry I don't have pics for you guys, too tired, and it's raining on and off. Rain in S.E.A is awesome though because it's jungle weather.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
when you wake up take some pictures "A" GLAD you arrived safely
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
KL is awesome, I mean this literally, how we’re going to live in quiet town is beyond me. KL is actually heaven, I know you guys want some pics and I have many already so I’ll upload some soon as in tomorrow or day after.

Did I say how awesome KL was. This is where I belong, where chinese, malays,indians, expats blend along, and I know -I know you’ll get someone here who will take some opposition pieces and some controversial pieces that say otherwise, critics who never visited it her. I took an awesome pic today of an ad (large size) of an Indian girl, Malay boy and chinese girl, it’s mega cute. Something like that touched me.
It’s blissful here, where you can eat whereever be it 1* or 5* and not be stressed by the prices. I’m talking about an authentic thai dinner incl/ 3 beers for $40 in a really nice thai restaurant.

Yeah I’m tipsy and loving it here, tired as hell it’s like almost 2am, it’s all good though. I know you guys want to see pics, don’t worry guys. Last night I went back to my old street along Jalan Alor (best street in all of Malaysia) and you know who missed me the most/recognized me it was these two old Chinese men that work in a restaurant/pub I frequented. Yes I was touched that they had fond memories of me, one of them would always take me to a chinese natural pharmacy whenever I needed something for a cold or whatever.

Memories like that make me love life, more. This is my thread and I guess it’s my story but I can not wait until we live here for good. I actually don’t know what we will do tomorrow but to lunch and dine and watch a movie would be more than awesome. Maybe Sherlock Holmes, maybe avatar, it don’t matter, whatever, I am tired of, cold heartless Arab cities http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0tTeuUVhU

And people that want to diss me, well I spent years in there, trying, to find some change, something I don’t know exactly what, but something along the lines of progress. I tried the most progressive Arab country of them, and what did me and wife get? Paying US prices in a country that could care less about poor people. People diss me about that too, I am Che Gueveraa at heart, I can not be truly happy unless I know a poor person has the ability/potential to taste what I do. Yeah whatever, my wife even thinks I’m crazy because I’m thinking about adopting, whatever. My fading ego blinds people.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i am so happy that you are living your dream ...good for you "A" .CANT WAIT FOR THE PICTURES
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
G'morning everyone and thanks Micky. Here are a few pics for now. All of these are in KL.

Seafood, delicious seafood, this is actually a small stall compared to the large chinese seafood joint.

-  -

Petronas Twin Towers, this is on Jalan P.Ramlee heads towards KLCC

-  -

Street level of Jalan P. Ramlee, this street

-  -

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
One of the cheapest and most convenient ways to get around town, the KL monorail.

-  -

This building, I believe the CIMBank building is directly across from the rear exit of the petronas twin towers. And btw to get on the sky bridge you have to arrive before 8am to get tickets for the day, there number is limited and it is 1st come 1st serve basis, free though.

-  -

KL Tower, similar to the Cairo tower.

-  -

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
This is the pic I was telling you guys about the other day

-  -

The rain is coming, this is the bukit bintang, jalan sultan Ismail junction, there are literally 10 or so malls here, one next to each and resturants with every cuisine imaginable

-  -

I read about this place at beerbeer.org - they just opened up last month and they are special for one reason and 1 reason only, they brew their own beet and sell 'fresh beer' to the public, the beer flows from barrels, and the idea is to mimic old world beer, where villages and towns in the old days (Europe) brewed their own beer. The beer is only good for 7 days, but believe they don't let is last more than 3 days, starker beer, anyway they were closed as they open 4:30pm on sundays.

-  -

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eyes are popping at the gorgeous array of fresh seafood!!

*drool...drool*

Didnt have an idea that KL had such sophisticated and sleekly modern architecture.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Hopefully these pics will hold you guys for a few days. The exotic ones are sure to come when we arrive at the east coast, which is soon btw as we're waiting for our driver to pick us up in an hour to take us to the airport.

The weather here is summer each and every day, it's very lovely in the morning and in the evenings too but can take its toll on you if you walk too much during the early afternoon especially when the humidity is very high.

The food, what can I say and I'll eventually post some pics of those as well. As delicious as it is, it's only natural that one craves non-spicy food. Along bukit bintang, they have loads of arab joints, but it's crazy to eat from there because heck we just arrived from the middle east. But some of the western food is great though, such a lamb cooked with mint jus (juice), it's a belgium recipe, at least I think so.

Professionals restaurant owners from all over Europe are opening their own restaurants and bringing their authentic flavor with them. The Arabs too but it seems Arabs don't quite know how to market their businesses. I'm sure they're successful but they places seem so unprofessional with Arab touts hanging outside. That is so corny.

There's so much that I would like to share with you guys and really I don't know where to begin but this is what we've been doing the first few days we've been here.

Well, it's goodbye for now the east coast is waiting, hopefully will make it to either Perhentian Island or Rendang Island. The only reason I'm saying hopefully is because it is the 'monsoon season' until middle of February in the east coast, and the resorts are closed until then. But i think we can take a jetty (speed boat) and spend an afternoon there. If however the islands are closed then plan B will Islands on the west coast, either Penang or Langkawi.

later

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
great pictures exciiled
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
My eyes are popping at the gorgeous array of fresh seafood!!

*drool...drool*

Didnt have an idea that KL had such sophisticated and sleekly modern architecture.

Glad you like the pics Sash, If I had known that you would have enjoyed modern KL pics, I would have posted more as all the pics thus far are of KL.

Well I'll post more eventually, the east coast is not modern like KL but it does have it's charming and if you love seafood pics then I'll take some from fishing towns.

I gotta run, take care.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
I enjoy both traditional and modern sections of any city,just didnt know that KL looked sooo modern.

Keep posting narrative and pics as interesting as these ones here.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow nice pics Exiled, thanks for sharing [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Selamat pagi (g'morning)

Guys I feel like a scolded 10 year old boy. My mom got a hold of me here, thanks to a certain big mouth, anyway I got scolded and really my mom was incredibly upset. My folks did not know about our intention to move here. And I was planning on telling them once the research and paper work was completed.

Yeah I’m a grown man but my mom let me have it, she even used a line on me that I never heard before “adam you only envy yourself”. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhhh

I didn’t get to say much but I will call her back and try to do some damage control. Her concerns are floods, tsunami, she also feels that we have no one here in the event that “something happens.”

I’m trying to think how to put everything into words that it is safe in this area of the world. She knows about KL but doesn’t think we should be living in the areas that she heard we are interested in, including an Island.

Simply put she is very, very, very worried. I don’t know but I think moms should stop being moms at some point, I mean the people here are so nice. Yes this isn’t a metropolis and everything is 1 story high, it might even be considered the boondocks, but I can’t envision harm coming to me or my wife or any children we may have. The speedboats are operating on a limited basis to the islands but the waters are rocky and volatile and you know I canceled the trip there, because I have my lady with me. So I am responsible 75%-85% of the time.

Well guys this is part of being a nomad. Well I’ll take some cool pics soon of a morning market called sitti khadejeh. And will go to the water town where the jetty embarks if the waters are calm today we’ll take the trip, if not, we’ll head either south to Kuantan or fly back to KL and chill there before heading to other Island. I’m having a ball just so you know, no alcohol at all in this part of the country, they sell it to non muslims, openly in restaurants but muslims can not drink beer at all. The fine is something like $1500 and of course a lot of hassle. Besides I don’t want to drink anyway, I am more than happy with the exotic juice and the Ice-O-Tea.

Later

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
here is your second mom...be careful young man..there are many of us that worry about you and only want the best for you. but i think youn are a big boy Adam...you ..i think have it altogether
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
here is your second mom...be careful young man..there are many of us that worry about you and only want the best for you. but i think youn are a big boy Adam...you ..i think have it altogether

Hey Micky… thanks and yes I do have it all together. Unfortunately there are big mouths in this world and it seems like everything my mom heard was a shock to her. The last thing I want to do is worry her and I actually planned when to tell her, in a cool way, gradually.

Anyways, everything is cool, we spoke and I let her know how nice and safe it’s here. And endorsement from my mom is huge, I'm crazy independent but letting down parents is high school mentality. I'll post a few pics right after I upload 'em.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Alright our pace has been kind of rapid. 6 different flights in 1 week is a little too much and the reason we come back to KL is because it is the HUB for Air Asia. So some destinations are not reachable from most cities, but everywhere is reachable from KL. So it’ll probably go down like this 1 week in KL now (including seeing Malacca, Klang, etc) and then maybe Kota Kinabalu for a a few days or so and then back to KL for a week and then off to Hong Kong for a weekend or so and then back to KL for whatever. This is all tenative.

All of the ensuing pics are of a wet market in the east coast of Malaysia. I’m talking a simple city and nothing on the magnitude of KL. They have different sections for produce, poultry, meats and seafood. The meat area would have been to shocking for the faint hearted [Big Grin] so I intentionally left those pics out.

I actually have 100s of pics and so you guys will have to wait until my travels are over to post them BUT I will update you guys accordingly. This entire thread is more than just about sightseeing, this is an adventure that actually has a purpose.
For example today primary reason was to check out houses/condos and location to chill for a while. Also checking out supermarkets, malls and all of that. That won’t be in pics but this wet market was actually on the agenda because I wanted to see first hand what these wet markets on the east coast looked like. They actually have everything.

The freshest seafood is found at the fishing towns though, when the ships return from netting fish they unload the catch there and people buy it, the rest goes to wet markets such as the one in these pics. It’s still all fresh but I wanted you guys know how things work. Actually I want to learn how to catch my own seafood, I kid you not. That’s the kind of life I want.

-

-

-

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
This is where the fruits and veggies are sold in this market (souq).

-

-

-

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
There's even a section that sells breads, sweets and whatever these folk eat. Don't ask me their names. [Smile]

-

-

-

This is how the souk looks like from an exit point

-

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Beautiful tiger shrimp or crayfish there,which one is it,Exiled?
Only 1/2 hour till my lunchtime at work, and all i have brought from home in my Tupper looks soo frugal compared to that up there! [Frown]

"...This entire thread is more than just about sightseeing, this is an adventure that actually has a purpose."

This the way i like to travel.Not for such long time as you,but similar in shorter jaunts.
[Cool]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
omg!!!!!!!!!!! beautiful pic exiiled.
what i could do with that fresh seafood..we could have a real party cooking those [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Beautiful tiger shrimp or crayfish there,which one is it,Exiled?
Only 1/2 hour till my lunchtime at work, and all i have brought from home in my Tupper looks soo frugal compared to that up there! [Frown]

"...This entire thread is more than just about sightseeing, this is an adventure that actually has a purpose."

This the way i like to travel.Not for such long time as you,but similar in shorter jaunts.
[Cool]

Yes those are Tiger shrimp and they're huge. Yeah I also never understood people who travel and just follow a brochure or some guide. :-) Enjoy your lunch [Razz]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
omg!!!!!!!!!!! beautiful pic exiiled.
what i could do with that fresh seafood..we could have a real party cooking those [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

A BBQ would be awesome with such freshness, i think that was a small sword fish in one of the pics, that was cool, he was sliced in two.

Micky I just ate Drunken shrimp, i wanted dragon view shrimp but they gave me that, didn't know the sauce was cooked from white wine and ginger. Thought of you after I knew [Razz] Tasted delicious.

And speaking of BBQ, I'm actually in the BBQ capital (street) of Malaysia right now. [Big Grin] I'm full though but damn I'm thirsty for some brew. Yeah I feel a ramble coming on, give you guys some more Che Guevverrrrra [Big Grin] hehehehehehe

See you guys in a little bit.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i love drunken shrimp ....yummmmmmmmmmmm you are making me so hungry. i guess ill have to eat my biscotti i have just baked .they are anise and orange peel biscotti with choc mint sauce drizzled over the top [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
i love drunken shrimp ....yummmmmmmmmmmm you are making me so hungry. i guess ill have to eat my biscotti i have just baked .they are anise and orange peel biscotti with choc mint sauce drizzled over the top [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

If there's one chick here that eats exquiste like her highness it's you Micky :-) sounds delicious [Smile]
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

MalAySIA, truly ASIA!!!! [Big Grin]

Nice pics Ex. [Smile]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I'm still here guys, I'm kicking it with this old chinese man, and let's just say he is very frugal.

He thinks I am so respectful [Big Grin] heheheheh because I can drink a lot and still hold my composure and continue with a conversation. Anyway, so this guy used to smoke "dunhill" and now smokes generic tobacco and rolls it in newspaper!!!

I freakin'!!!!!!!1 love this place and the assortment of Asians that Malaysia has.

So excuse me for a second, while I drink something cold [Big Grin] and hear what this gentleman has else to say, he's from Penang (island with mostly chinese).

When I'm done and if coherent at least 10%, I will have my usual ramble.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
he3-oldschool:courselife:101;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNeI2oLBXw&feature=related

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Thought I had something to say about watin il arab –arab world-
I don’t, I don’t care ya roohoon fi siteen dahyeh (hell w/’em). Mean it.
So maybe I am another Brain Drain … if I am even considred a brain.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I know my last post seemed harsh. I have my reasons. My equation is simple Arab (including egyptians most of all) are failures. I chillin’ in a muslim Asian country that has a city that hotter (modern) than imaginable, with infrastructre that is top rate. Then just yesterday I was chillin’ in another state (province) where they didn’t want any of that and they wanted Islamic law. HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT!!!!!!!! this is called "SHARING POWER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Egyptians and Arab can’t even manage to raise the salary for a person working in McD to pay for his/her tuition and buy a car. Yet the Big Mac Meal cost like $4 in Cairo, $5 in Amman and only $2 in KL , yet the KL…MCD employees pay for their own tuition and pay for their own cars.
People want to know why I am upset. This is a prime example.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wanna goooo looks like fun. 90% of that stuff i could not identify.. mostly the greens and them long leech looking things.and the white snow ball things. and the green fruit looking things on ice.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Today has been the most relaxed day to date. It started with tum yum and ended with delicious crabs that were imported from Sri Lanka, big crabs actually we had 4 of them that weighed 2kg, so each one was like 500g. 2 were spicy and 2 were simply steamed. It was actually a sight, and for a little while this deaf man came over but those who eat crabs know it can get quite messy, so I gestured for him to return after we finished eating.

What did this fellow do, he took a chair in a table waiting for us to finish. I wasn’t going to give him anything after that annoying stunt of his. So just when I was about to get annoyed and call the manager (this is out door seafood restaurant) a group of 4 foreigners walked by us and a lady (american) said “yummy, crabs” and they sat down next to us. So this deaf man (he has all these certifications stating he’s deaf + pics pf him growing up deaf) focused his energy on the group sitting next to us ( 3 chicks + 1 dude). [Big Grin]

And just like that they dismissed him and he left.
Yeah today was really cool and we drank some juices we never had before, that’s actually quite amazing bcz juices in general can become quite bland after a while, even cocktail/mocktails.

Got some cool pics for you guys but the last thing I want to do is resize them with PS and then upload them to imageshack and then post them on ES. EM is cooler in this regard because you can upload the pics directly and they are scaled down to fit you screen.

See you guys tomorrow

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
The weekend is here and the plan is to chill and lounge with some friends. Maybe live music, I really don’t know everything yet as we’re still waiting for the details. Somewhere trendy, ambient, maybe even some place at Hilton. Not sure, so if I’m up to it I’ll write a review. It’s almost noon here so the day has just begun. We have been sleeping great again - our bodies have completely adjusted to this climate, and environment. Maybe we’ll head out to mid valley, actually I don’t know when we get to the train station we’ll think about it. Ok, so enough of my boring words, here are some pics.

This first pic is of a mom and pop operation. They sell fried dough and you can see the girl is kneading the dough, the father is preparing it, the dude is frying and the momz is selling.

-

These pics are of a dude and his cats. He has been around BB area for as long as I can remember. His monkey is obviously the pimp, keeping the cats in check. [Big Grin] Yeah I think they are on catnip or something.

-

Monkeys are actually adorable, especially when their tails are sticking out of a hole in the pants.

-

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
This dude stands in the sun all day. He doesn’t move at all and takes breaks every once in a while. He’s doing this for money, and I think it’s a hard way to earn some cash. He’s fully coated in some silver glitter and that with the heat and humidity - I just know he doesn’t feel too comfortable.

-

Close-Up, he wants between 2-3rm for taking his photo and that’s nothing, it’s actually like 50 cents, so he deserves it.

-

Peking duck anyone?

-

Maybe some exotic tropical fruit?

-

Many cool streets/areas are walking distance in KL. I particularly like the Arabic on the signs and actually the original Malay language (Jawi) is based on Arabic script. Many names are pronounced in Arabic in their modern bahasa melayu language. Sunday = Ahad, Monday = isnin and so on.

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Alright here is a little tour that began in at Bukit Bintang monorail and then went to Hang Tuah train station and from there to Masjid Jamek. KL has like 7 train lines and they run through the city but there is some inconvenience when transferring from line to line at some stations. You actually have to get off the platform and walk sometimes of a distance of about 200 meters to get to the next line.

Bukit Bintang Monorail Station

-

Arriving at Hang Tuah and walking down a flight of stairs to connect to another train line that will proceed to Masjid Jamek. This is a view towards the east. Actually this isn't too far from the city center only about 3 stations down.

-

Arriving at Masjid Jamek station

-

And that's Masjid Jamek and this photo was snapped from the train station.

-

It was prayer time (dhur) and here are some worshipers praying in a makeshift prayer area. They could have prayed at Masjid Jamek but I guess they wanted to catch their trains on time.

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Okay so we left Masjid Jamek train station and started walking towards China Town which is really not that far from the Masjid Jamek. About 5 blocks away. The Masjid Jamek area is predominately muslims (as in Muslim restuarant and shops). China Town, well Chinese of course. At the end of the street is the begining of Jalan Petaling and this is where the famous Chinese night market occurs from 7:30pm until 10:30 pm - 7 days a week.

-

That's one end of Jalan Petaling and it has 4 ends in all. So it's like a cross.

-

This is inside Jalan Petaling. The area to buy anything and everything that is fake.

-

Women sport umbrellas from the sun and also to maintain their fair complexions.

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
China Town actually has everything including fruit stands, restaurants and cheap brew. Everywhere you walk in KL you can buy sliced fruit that they keep in plastic bags and are sold with a stick. So like shish kebab stick but with cold fruit. These are absolutely delicious and the assortment is sometimes more than 20 fruit. You can also opt to have a slushy out of the fruit. I actually prefer this. I tried taking some photos but since they are inside a glass fridge the reflection blurred the images. My fav is fresh watermelon juice, LOVE IT. I also like starfruit too.

-

-

-

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Okay China Town as I mentioned before is very popular for selling fake things. The ones shown here are brought by locals and foreignors but if you want the real good fake stuff you'll have to visit the shops. There's a name for such replicas but unlike these the look, feel and smell (leater) like the real deal. They are made by hand and also cost a little bit of change.

-

-

-

Honestly it is almost impossible to tell the difference between fake designer jeans and authentic ones. Their t-shirts are very cool here, hard rock cafe t-shirts that cost like $15 at the hard rock are like $2-$3 here. [Big Grin] pretty cool. Fake Tiffany silver is also cool. This place literally transforms at night and thats when the real good stuff is displayed. They put stalls in the middle and so the merchandise doubles.

-

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com