Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Chronicles of A Modern Nomad (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chronicles of A Modern Nomad
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok lah, it's time to get out of chinatown now and head elsewhere. This is one of the exits.

-

Chinese love their roast pork and roast duck. Looks good but is non-halal.

-

Typical curry sauces at an Indian Restaurant.

-

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're entering the 2nd week here and so far so good. When we arrived I was like oh how great KL was but you know what:

"Life Is Too Short"

And KL is incredibly fun, I mean they have everything in terms of food, entertainment and best of all it is all economical. But it's also a bloody zoo, especially on the weekends.

Yeah the hell with that and more than ever I want to live by the shore where a traffic jam is 4 or 5 cars in front of you.

I want a very slow life for me and my family. I want to have a child where they can have a slow childhood and part of some kind of community.

So maybe I will post later on tonight, and hang with fellow ESers, for now, it's time to explore some more. KL is also cool because the entire city is wi-fi, it wasn't like this 2 years ago.

So maybe I might just update you guys even before night fall.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an explosion of color and flavors assortment for all!!!
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Glad you like 'em, Sash.

Well guys today was by far the best day in KL and it isn't even 3pm yet. It was nice traveling around the city without the hectic weekend crowds. The heat and humidity ensures that the people leave their homes for long periods of times. And KL people actually have it pretty good. The average income for all of Malaysia is something like 12-14K but in KL it is way more than that, so people have money to spend and it's obvious because EVERYWHERE is jam packed on the weekends. Cafe, malls, restaurants, EVERYWHERE.

It's actually disgusting [Big Grin] heheheheh

So we checked out food prices at supermarkets for our research to see how much prices went up. Some things did go up but the seafood is OMG so cheap. Keep in mind I just came from a nation where raw crabs were selling for $30-$40 a kilogram, here there are between $4-$6, and the shrimp are practically free, well not really but are very cheap.

Salmon is around $8 a kilogram, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I will be in Omega 3 heaven. [Smile]

The fruits and veggies are a little pricey and that's due to the fact that they can not be cultivated here, so they import them from OZ, Fuji, NZ.

Produce from India is dirt cheap Mangoes are like $1.50 a kilogram.

Now it's time to chill and relax. Tomorrow I will look at cars, insurance and all of that.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inexpensive seafood galore [Eek!] ....now,that´s what i call my kinda place to live! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Inexpensive seafood galore [Eek!] ....now,that´s what i call my kinda place to live! [Big Grin]

I think you’d find Malaysia to your liking, especially Penang (Island). It’s a very nice place to live, great seafood, great cuisine, nice expat community and wonderful beaches. But also much cheaper than most places around the world with similar offerings.

Well guys, the research is coming to and end and the practical aspect of it will kickstart sooner than expected. Khalas this is where we want live. I learned something about furniture today, my friend who is into interior design and all of that recommended that if we’re planning on furnish an entire home then to take a visit to Bali. As in Bali, Indonesia, he showed us some furniture he imported from there and I mean they are beyond incredible. Authentic hardwood dining table and other furniture that are a fraction of the price they are here. So for like $300 you can buy a solid (hardwood) hand crafted dining table that seats 6. The duty on it will be $150 and add in travel expenses to Bali and we’re talking about a dining table that will last a very very long time for around $500. This is the kind of table that requires real effort to lift from either end. So this is something worth serious consideration.

You guys be good. I will eventually post the remaining pics I have all of course ones I’ll take. If I don’t post for a while, I don’t want you guys even thinking about what happened to “exiled”, there are things that I have to take care of to make this all happen. But it’s 99.9% certain now, we paid the immigration fees, lawyer fees, and now it’s just a matter of when we want to move here.

Everything is happening much more quickly and smoother than I have ever anticipated. The dates we have in mind are either april-june-after ramadan (sept/oct). So if u don’t hear from me for a while, chill, and think positive thoughts.

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
KL is awesome, I mean this literally, how we’re going to live in quiet town is beyond me. KL is actually heaven, I know you guys want some pics and I have many already so I’ll upload some soon as in tomorrow or day after.

Did I say how awesome KL was. This is where I belong, where chinese, malays,indians, expats blend along, and I know -I know you’ll get someone here who will take some opposition pieces and some controversial pieces that say otherwise, critics who never visited it her. I took an awesome pic today of an ad (large size) of an Indian girl, Malay boy and chinese girl, it’s mega cute. Something like that touched me.
It’s blissful here, where you can eat whereever be it 1* or 5* and not be stressed by the prices. I’m talking about an authentic thai dinner incl/ 3 beers for $40 in a really nice thai restaurant.

Yeah I’m tipsy and loving it here, tired as hell it’s like almost 2am, it’s all good though. I know you guys want to see pics, don’t worry guys. Last night I went back to my old street along Jalan Alor (best street in all of Malaysia) and you know who missed me the most/recognized me it was these two old Chinese men that work in a restaurant/pub I frequented. Yes I was touched that they had fond memories of me, one of them would always take me to a chinese natural pharmacy whenever I needed something for a cold or whatever.

Memories like that make me love life, more. This is my thread and I guess it’s my story but I can not wait until we live here for good. I actually don’t know what we will do tomorrow but to lunch and dine and watch a movie would be more than awesome. Maybe Sherlock Holmes, maybe avatar, it don’t matter, whatever, I am tired of, cold heartless Arab cities http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0tTeuUVhU

And people that want to diss me, well I spent years in there, trying, to find some change, something I don’t know exactly what, but something along the lines of progress. I tried the most progressive Arab country of them, and what did me and wife get? Paying US prices in a country that could care less about poor people. People diss me about that too, I am Che Gueveraa at heart, I can not be truly happy unless I know a poor person has the ability/potential to taste what I do. Yeah whatever, my wife even thinks I’m crazy because I’m thinking about adopting, whatever. My fading ego blinds people.

You know, I don't exactly have a lot of time to read the entire thread to figure out where you're taking your trip and I don't like acronyms [Big Grin] .
What exactly is KL? The pictures look nice though.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing pix Exiiled, thanks for sharing.

Wow, street signs in Arabic??

Enjoy your travels & have fun [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
nine: Kl= Kuala Lumpur
VB, thanks dude [Smile]

Home Sweet Home :-)

Never thought I would say those words about the Kingdom of Jordan. But I said 'em and mean 'em. It's 35 degrees at the moment, expecting snow, and it just feels lovely. Some chick called me out in the past and said I was indecisive, but tell me how can you choose between chocolate, vanilla or even strawberry ice cream? What happens if you want two flavors or all three?

This is how I feel now and if people think I am immature then my wife is even more immature because she actually listens to me. I know that the 'man of leisure' title that I enjoyed on and off since I became an adult is in jeopardy. I know that. I know it is also a sacrifice that I want to make because I want my wife to be happiest and I want the world for her. I am realizing that now, and I am realizing that the world is not about me if I am part of a marriage and family.

I have so much on my mind, it is not even funny. I'm chilling right now though, have a glass of scotch with coke on the rocks, so I feel OKAY. I am at crossroads right now and my wife thinks I'm sane [Big Grin] and she thinks I have all the answers and she looks up to me and you know what we throw ideas around all the time, this and that, but she takes what I say so seriously. She is so easily manipulated by me but I want the world for her and she is as humble a person as they come.

So, I dunno, maybe some time in Jordan, some time in Malaysia and maybe summers in the USA. All of this will cost money and my dream to travel the world continuously will be greatly affected, I could travel but I need my chick next to me and she wants babies. I want babies too, I want 1 or 2 actually.

Yeah I talk a lot when I drink. I don't care. It feels nice to post again on ES, get things off my chest, you guys probably want to see the rest of the pics. I'll get to them eventually even if all of them are of KL, well some east coast places, but anyway – missed my online ES pals [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we missed you too.
summers in the USA? well if thats true you better come see me and we can have a cook off...you and wifey will be so welcomed

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
we missed you too.
summers in the USA? well if thats true you better come see me and we can have a cook off...you and wifey will be so welcomed

We'll see girl. You are way too generous and kind and that is beautiful. Ask me again when I am totally sober [Razz]

Missed u too Micky and I have a great simple recipe that I want to share. It's Indian and it's nice. So let me catch up a bit and post the recipe.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got it
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh, yesterday I was wondering about you Exile!! Good to see you back [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Thanks Shahzarat [Smile]

Last night I was totally tripping. I just woke and my wife was like “why did you buy all that food last night but didn't eat it?” I was like “what food”?! [Big Grin] She said she was surprised that I bought food but decided to cook instead. [Big Grin]

I bought some food, left it in the bag, forgot about it, and instead apparently cooked noodles with leftover beef and broccoli. [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Cold Feet: apprehension or doubt strong enough to prevent a planned course of action.
Example: She got cold feet and decided not to marry

I believe this is what we are facing. I believe it's natural and will eventually sort it self out over the course of time. I proposed a chilling out period and basically let it come to us naturally. This chilling out period will however have a time limitation because renewal of my car registration is coming up and this basically means that I will have to renew my full coverage car insurance by that time. Previously as in before the 'cold feet' I thought there wasn't a need to renew because I intended to sell the car before the registration expired. Technically we can get limited liability insurance which will cost less but that's not smart considering it's relatively a new car. This is actually more symbolic because it won't be the first or last we spent money unwisely.

One thing that I am certain of is this thread will eventually progress to a blog, something like an ad free wordpress blog. There is simply to much that I want to express in this regard and ES seems very limiting in many ways. Yes I enjoy rambling on and on but this particular issue is really a big deal to us. You can plan accordingly and execute your plans but damn feelings get in the mix. I can criticize it here until kingdom come but truth be told it's unwarranted. We have never ever been disrespected once, as expensive as so many things are. There are also many things that are inexpensive such as nadi membership (club) with nice facilities for squash, tennis, indoor/outdoor pools, etc. The rent and housing is also fairly priced. It's clean and most of all we never felt like strangers. It's also so very cozy.

True they don't have a budget airline here but Dubai does (flydubai) and tickets from Amman to Dubai with flydubai are only $180 R/T and from dubai/Abu Dhabi we have access to other low budget airlines that can take us to other destinations around the world. Having written all of this and having acknowledge many positive aspects of Jordan, the chances of us remaining here pretty low. Unless our residence in Jordan will be limited to Winter and Spring.

My issues are with Arab and I'm talking about every damn last Arab country. They make me sick in so many ways and I just can't find myself to forgive them for whatever grievances I have against them. Let's take the Dunkin Donuts guys for example. Dunkin Donuts was here, serving delicious donuts, and delicious fresh coffee. The dude who had a franchise here had a beef with them, stole their recipes, including their signature colors and opened his own donut joints. The coffee is not as good but his prices are more expensive than Dunkin Donuts in America. He in short conned Dunkin Donuts. But what pissess me off is that his prices continue to go up an up. Yet the 'great minds of the future' here are eating his donuts more than ever and drinking his coffee with great admiration.

Where is the principal in that. Where the Dunkin Donuts con artist shafted Dunkin Donuts Corp and now is shafting consumers too. This is just one of my many, many grievances. Despite that though the locals are very kind people and I mean the ordinary citzens not the summer vactioners that just turn this city upside down.

I think I feel a ramble coming on [Big Grin] Got more than enough scotch, just need more Coca Cola and Ice and I am good to go. [Big Grin] Now you know why I feel I need to progress this to a blog. I can lulaby you guys with my writings. And really I don't care. [Smile]

melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exilled, ur pictures and dialogue is amazing!! makes me wana go to malaysia [Smile] im half malaysian but only been there a few times and wen i was very very young. Do you have a blog? if not i think you should make one!
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exilled, ur pictures and dialogue is amazing!! makes me wana go to malaysia [Smile] im half malaysian but only been there a few times and wen i was very very young. Do you have a blog? if not i think you should make one!
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
oops just read ur above post and sw that u mentioned a blog :s
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by melissa87:

Hi Melissa, :-)

Thanks. Yes Malaysia is awesome and you should go back more often, get closer to your ancestors. It's truly a beautiful place, and actually magical to me. I'm thinking about a blog, and maybe I might begin it when we move there or even before that to detail the whole move.

Malaysia is so awesome that I want to live my life there and die there too. I'm not all about KL or other cities, even though KL is great too. I love the coasts, islands, Sabah, Sarawak and of course the people and diverse cultures. I get along with everyone there the Chinese, Malays, even the Indians. [Smile]

Malaysians are actually lighthearted people, and as a country they should be proud of what they are doing. I could only wish that development slows down a bit. You know when it comes to any we have our favorite city or whatever. With Malaysia it's nothing like that because I flip flop all over the place, sometimes I love the excitment of Kl, other times the isolation of Islands and yet other times the natural beauty of Sabah and Sarwak. For me personally that is beautiful.

I could go on and on and on ... [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com