Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » gas oven

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gas oven
faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for faima   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I cook in this gas oven, that bakes only from below? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 12 | From: egypt | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by faima:
What can I cook in this gas oven, that bakes only from below? [Roll Eyes]

can you tell me what you mean [Confused]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for faima   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, ordinary gas stoves in Egypt are with ovens, that can bake only from below, not from both sides. So what to use for? There cant be made cakes for expl.
Posts: 12 | From: egypt | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a cake you cant bake in an oven? i still dont think i am getting you...sorry
you mean the cake only bakes on the bottom and doesnt brown on the top?
so you cant make casseroles?
cookies will just get done on the bottom and not on the top?
what you said..."that can bake only from below, not from both sides." what do you mean both sides?top and bottom of the cake? so confussed...do you have a broiler?

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
Hm, seems you dont know this type of arabic stove. The oven doesnt have "fire" on the top, and yes, it's somehow like a broiler. We lived in 3-4 houses, and all had same type of ovens, so I am wondering what egypt women cook there... What are these meals, that could be done only with baking from below.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
my sister- in -laws have them too. they make their macaroni beschemel and other dishes similar to it in them the broiler is a good thing you can brown what you need on the top of your dishes, you can make good garlic bread under the broiler, melt cheeses under the broiler.lots of stuff.
maybe exiicled will come on and explain more to you or someone who knows the oven more

Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faima,

Is this the type of oven you are referring to?

-
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/232739399/Free_standing_gas_oven_JK_06GB_/showimage.html

I also cannot understand what you mean.

PS: after several attempts image still is not coming out [Frown]

Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:
Faima,

Is this the type of oven you are referring to?

-
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/232739399/Free_standing_gas_oven_JK_06GB_/showimage.html

I also cannot understand what you mean.

PS: after several attempts image still is not coming out [Frown]

i see it Nasto....it looks like you can bake anything you want in it including a cake [Razz]
faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
Oh, so sorry for my poor english:))) The stove is same, but inside the oven- what is there? One heating apparatus down, and one up, in the oven itself. But here in the ovens there are heaters only in the down side of the oven. For sure no cakes could be done:)))
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chef Mick, this type of oven all Egyptians I know use here. They can be larger or smaller, but the principle is the same. People cook everything and anything in them. That is why I am confused what actually Faima meant.
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What she means is that in Egyptian gas ovens, as with a lot of gas ovens, the flame lit by the gas is at the bottom of the oven only and not like in some electric ovens where the heating element is not only at the bottom but can be at the sides and top. Also there are fan assisted ovens, electric only(?) whereby the heat from wherever is distributed around the inside of the oven.

What she is concerned about is that when using the oven when the only heat source from the gas flame is at the bottom, you will get an uneven distribution of the heat, which she feels will affect whatever is inside. For example a cake will be hotter underneath and burn before the top is done. That is her concern.

Also, a broiler is an unfamiliar term and I think refers to the grill element you get inside the oven but at the top, often used for really good cheese on toast.

Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Well, you can buy in Egypt ovens that combine both gas burners on the top, oven with gas flame at the bottom plus electric grill on the upper part of the oven. I just recently bought one in Carrefour.

Regarding the traditional gas ovens with gas flames at the bottom, it takes some time to get used to them. You need to experiment with different shelf levels and different temperature settings. One of the options I frequently apply is to place a tray with food in a larger tray filled with water. It reduces the burning.

And, as Chef Mick said above, you can cook all types of casseroles (macaroni bechamel, zucchini (khosa) bechamel, lasagna), bake vegetables, bread and cakes. I also use it frequently to heat the food from fridge - just load all into the oven and after 15-20 min all is hot and ready.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
so true Nasto, if you use the middle rack you would get better results for cakes and cookies.the heat goes all around but not like the electric ovens. ALWAYS use the middle racks or the top racks so it will cook more evenly.
hope this helps you somewhat faima .

faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
AntonD1, thank you for expressing so good what I wanted to say!
Chef Mick, Nasto, thank you both for advises, verry helpful. I will try. My husband said that cooking in that kind of oven is next level of mastership:)

AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
faima, it's only because when I first came I had the same thoughts about the oven I got here. Through mistakes I found what Chef Mick says works well.
Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faima
Member # 17565

Rate Member
I just made my first attempt with the oven. The result is perfect- I made a bulgarian dish, called "banitza"- pastry, eggs, cheese and yoghurt, and it's perfect brown on the top:)
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurray
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by faima:
I just made my first attempt with the oven. The result is perfect- I made a bulgarian dish, called "banitza"- pastry, eggs, cheese and yoghurt, and it's perfect brown on the top:)

good for you [Wink] so proud of you [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com