EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » I am gay, says REM frontman Michael Stipe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am gay, says REM frontman Michael Stipe
Strangeways.
Member # 14842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strangeways.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gay, says REM frontman Michael Stipe
March 18, 2008

Michael Stipe has revealed he is gay.

The REM frontman has never felt the need to publicly discuss his sexuality before, but thinks now is the right time to do so.

He said: "It was super complicated for me in the '80s. I was totally open with the band and my family and my friends and certainly the people I was sleeping with. I thought it was pretty obvious.

"I didn't always see that. But I see now, of course that's the case, of course that's needed. I'd just never felt strongly enough about a particular relationship to say, 'Yeah, he's my boyfriend, that is what it is.'

"Now I recognise that for public figures to be very open about their sexuality helps some kid somewhere."

Michael, 48, also revealed he feels much more comfortable about his writing ability now he is older.

The singer started his career writing about himself but now realises he can connect with his audience without baring his soul.

He added to Spin magazine: "There are songs I wrote in the past that were gender-specific. 7 Chinese Brothers was about me breaking up a couple - and then dating both of them, a man and a woman, which is a terrible thing to do, but I was young and stupid.

"At the time I was writing about what I knew, and what I knew was myself. I found out I'm not that kind of writer. I think I'm better when I write about things that are not me."
http://www.tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4309974&fSectionId=354&fSetId=251

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm,this was always pretty obvious... [Big Grin]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, thanks for the breaking news, Tom Brokaw. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously who cares?

BTW, the following article is seven years old:

Monday, 14 May 2001

REM's Michael Stipe admits he is gay

REM frontman Michael Stipe has ended years of speculation about his sexuality by admitting he is gay.

The singer told Time Magazine that he has been in a relationship with a man for three years.

Stipe told the magazine he believed it was the right time to reveal his sexuality, saying "I was being made to be a coward about it, rather than someone who felt like it really was a very private thing".

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2001/0514/stipem.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont care one bit tigerlily.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why has it taken all this time to twig this? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was already known [Confused] [Confused]

I thought i had read somewhere that he was HIV+ [Confused] [Confused]

Maybe i am just confused today!LOL

I need chocolate! and i can't have it *wiping tears* [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea Michael, trust me, nobody ever MISSED your gayiety in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXSqWVXACE

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I had a friend all those years ago who used to be so fond of the band, and him in particular - posters above her bed and so on... Oh god [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL did anyone WATCH the link I just posted?
GAYLORD !!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got news for you Mikey - we knew before you... Now fix your lippy and toddle off on those high heels of yours... BTW your handbag doesn't match your shoes, go get yourself a stylist [Big Grin]
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
Well, I had a friend all those years ago who used to be so fond of the band, and him in particular - posters above her bed and so on... Oh god [Roll Eyes]

Heehee, that's bad luck I guess!! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Yea Michael, trust me, nobody ever MISSED your gayiety in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXSqWVXACE

[Roll Eyes]

Lol, Smuckers, 'shiny happy people'..... and the way he's dancing guess you are right! [Big Grin] When was that a hit, '89 or later??
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
Why has it taken all this time to twig this? [Roll Eyes]

This fact could have hurted the popularity of the band dramatically - which means less income. There is no business like show business!! [Wink]

I am not sure if you know American actor Richard Chamberlain (he played also in "Shogun") but it took him well over sixty years to admit that he's gay. I still love him as a priest in 'Thorn Birds' no matter what - my all time favourite movie!! [Smile]

http://www.richard-chamberlain.info/opens/opensup4.html

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com