EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » Egypt frees Facebook activist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt frees Facebook activist
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt frees Facebook activist

12 hours ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Egypt on Wednesday freed a woman detained earlier this month for forming a group on the Facebook social networking site that called for protests over price hikes, a security official said.

Interior Minister Habib al-Adli ordred Esra Abdel Fattah's release after her mother appealed directly to President Hosni Mubarak for her to be freed, the official said.

"She is free, they have released her from the women's prison in Qantar," her lawyer Emir Salem told AFP. He said he had not yet seen her but "I'm going to celebrate her release."

Fattah, 27, was among several bloggers, including Mohammed Sharkawi and Malak Mustafa, arrested ahead of what was supposed to be a nationwide protest on April 6.

Egyptian police took her from a Cairo coffee shop a week before the planned day of action. Her Facebook group had 64,000 members, but observation of the day of protest was sporadic.

Instead, protests focused on the Nile Delta city of Mahalla, where three people were killed by police after clashes erupted when demonstrators pulled down posters of Mubarak.

Mahalla became a flashpoint for popular protests by workers and residents against low wages and skyrocketing prices of food staples. A strike there in 2006 led to a wave of industrial action around the country.

Police used rubber-coated bullets and tear gas against stone-throwing youths chanting anti-government slogans and demanding an end to rampant inflation that has seen the price of some staples double in recent months.

On Tuesday, Fattah's mother published an appeal in the Egyptian press calling for her daughter to be freed "from the heart of Esra's mother to Mubarak's heart, to that of (his wife) Suzanne and of Habib al-Adli."

Another Facebook group has since been set up calling for a nationwide day of protest at price hikes on May 4, Mubarak's 80th birthday. It has also been calling for Fattah's release.

The group calls for "a day of civil disobedience and wearing black in mourning for the victims of Mahalla and the death of Egyptian and Arab media."

One member of the new group said that "If God created the world in six days, we can't expect to change Egypt in just one."

Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif was heckled by a student at Cairo University on Tuesday during a speech about "the Internet and how youth has to use it to express their opinions," Egypt's Daily News reported on Wednesday.

The student, Belal Diab, told Nazif: "We want you to release those detained on April 6," pointing out that those youths who do express their opinions "are now all behind bars."

Nazif responded that the "reason for detaining these people is the acts of destruction they committed and there is a thin line between expressing your opinion and encouraging destruction, striking and rioting."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i0fUBuQavwXZt1Et7k6JGFLbePKA

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000330
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they had previously released her and she went missing? [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard about it. But I find it interesting that her mother directly appealed to Hosni Mubarak to get her daughter freed and her wish was granted. I wish everything was easy like that in Egypt.
encrypted
Member # 13625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for encrypted         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Egyptian police took her from a Cairo coffee shop a week before the planned day of action.

[Confused] That's not what I heard!
Posts: 147 | From: Auto's World | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by encrypted:
quote:

Egyptian police took her from a Cairo coffee shop a week before the planned day of action.

what did you hear encrypted? i facebooked her name, and theres an esra abdel fatah and an esra abdel fatah ahmad. lets see if either of them are her [Smile]
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
encrypted
Member # 13625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for encrypted         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
quote:
Originally posted by encrypted:
quote:

what did you hear encrypted? i facebooked her name, and theres an esra abdel fatah and an esra abdel fatah ahmad. lets see if either of them are her [Smile]
I thought she was arrested after the strike but I could be wrong. It doesn't make much difference really!
Posts: 147 | From: Auto's World | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com